November 18, 2003

Prove Me Wrong

Could someone, somewhere please put together a good, coherent argument outlining why gay marriage should be illegal? I've yet to hear one decent argument, just rhetoric. As for me, I'm not altogether sure I see why this is even an issue. Should we not encourage people - of any sexual orientation - to love each other? Its a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Posted by Chris at November 18, 2003 8:03 PM
Comments

Oh, you know what they say. It's a slippery slope from homosexuality to beastiality. Sheesh.

I can't think of one good reason to keep people who love each other from being able to legally take care of one another. I wonder if the divorce rate wouldn't be lower for them than it is for all the heteros who think homosexuals will ruin the institute of marriage?

Posted by: Alicia at November 18, 2003 10:58 PM

I think that (if they're ever deemed worthy enough of the "priviledge" of marriage) that divorce rates of gays and heteros would equal out, just as most things do.

Chris, I simply don't fucking understand it, either. What's with all the fear?

I don't see how the fact that I'm in a hetero relationship right now places me above someone in a gay relationship. We're all consenting adults living in the US, right?

Really: What the fuck?

Posted by: Annie J. at November 19, 2003 1:47 AM

The best [read: most inane, full of ass] argument I've ever heard against gay marriages was that "gay men are one step away from paedophilia, eventually they'll adopt children or whatever & nature will run it's course.

It's wrong, & the Bible says so." When I asked him about lesbianism he said "dykes don't deserve to exist if they're not pleasing a man."

& if you thought that the above was a paraphrase, it was a direct quote from a minister.

Posted by: Marie at November 19, 2003 4:58 AM

I couldn't agree more. it's funny, when I started reading the post, I thought you were starting to say that gay marriage SHOULD be illegal and I was like "wha...??" but.. yeah. it's early. forgive me. please. lol.

and there's a reason why there isn't a concrete reasoning behind why gay marriage should be illegal. :D

Posted by: Jessica at November 19, 2003 7:27 AM

My question is, why does the government have ANYTHING to do with marriage? Isn't marriage based on faith and love? I know it's to keep people from being taken advantage of (as in cases of bigamy - question: why shouldn't multiple EQUAL partners be allowed to wed?) and for tax purposes and other money issues, but how does it get to delegate which couple commits to each other?

My main issue is that it isn't allowed because the majority of Americans basically don't like it. "Gay couples can't use our word and be legally committed because my religion says it's wrong." These are people who would NOT be affected by the choice of two men or women to marry. I believe that if you aren't a part of something, it won't affect you, and it isn't harming someone else, You Don't Get an Opinion.

What if everyone wasn't allowed to wed until they got half their constituency to approve it?

Posted by: Del at November 19, 2003 9:08 AM

I agree. I have yet to hear any good reasons to disallow gay marriages. I don't think we can help who we love and I'm sure as hell not going to stand in the way to two men or two women who want to be together. My place in their love life is about as necessary as their place in my love life.

Live and let love.

Posted by: Kimmie at November 19, 2003 10:07 AM

to every person that has ever said "the bible says so", i have the following response: oh! so then do you NOT shave in certain places b/c the bible says so? (leviticus) do you sacrifice your first born child to prove to god how much you love him? (abraham, anyone?) i mean, c'mon...we're basing our lives on something written 2000 yrs ago? (and edited to suit the "church's" needs over time (or b/c powerful emperors didn't like parts, so they paid off popes to take stuff out))...sorry to go off on a rant about the bible, but that's the argument you hear most often and it's piffle!!

if two people (consenting adults) are in love and want to tell the world that this is the person i want to spend the rest of my life with, then they should be allowed to marry...period...and the reason why the govt. is involved is b/c most churches wouldn't allow them to be married there anyway, so they HAVE to go the civil route...

and i'm done, i'll shut up now...;)

Posted by: azure at November 19, 2003 10:37 AM

But the Bible doesn't mean "lie with mankind" in the homosexual sense, that chapter/passage/whatever was referring to necrophilia.

& Sodom & Gomorrah were raized to the ground because their citizens wished to bed angels, not men. It just happens that the angels were in the form of men, so religious zealots jumped on the "male" outlook.

My local priest taught me that before he was excommunicated.

Posted by: Marie at November 19, 2003 11:03 AM

The only reasons I have are based on my own opinions, religion, and feelings about the kind of world I want my children to live in. It's of the old fashioned kind. And since most of the homosexuals that I know are in long term relationships, and have been together for 10, 15, and 20 years... it seems like a good idea. On the other hand, they are all in open relationships. My fear is that the same will be true for marriage. But, I could be wrong... and like I said, just my personal view from this tiny homophobic town in the Baptist Bible Belt.

Posted by: katherine at November 19, 2003 11:49 AM

I don't even want to get into the fact that how the government feels about and votes on this issue is in violation of the separation of church and state. If people don't think that religion is ultimately at the heart of this debate, they're just lying to themselves.

It's funny, though- these same people who rail against homosexual marriage and feel that the government should have a say in that will be the first to rant and rave if anyone even thinks about talking about things such as gun legislation and feel they should have/do what they please in their own homes. Fucking hypocrites.

Posted by: Kristi at November 19, 2003 4:58 PM

I stumbled upon this somehow, I have a homophobic teacher and was looking for some points to argue with him.... any help??? i agree with you totally. hey people sign up for this www.dayofsilence.com for gay rights

Posted by: sally at January 14, 2004 7:04 PM

im doing a debate in school and cam across this site, its good to see what ppl actually think rather than all the other sites that are all about polls and stats. i see you guys are from the states, im from up the north in canada, do u have any states that have allowed gay couples to marry? we have ontario and B.C. and one of the territories, i was just wondering when the american govt. will stop being such tight asses about some thing like this? who gave them the right to say that just because you want to marry some one of the same sex its illegal? i was under the impression that marriage was about love and trust?, its not just america, dont get me wrong, its canada too....but yea, thats all...

Posted by: wookie at January 14, 2004 7:31 PM