December 3, 2003

Easily Entertained

I was having a conversation this morning that made me dredge up some childhood memories that struck me as particularly funny or odd. Maybe they say something about who I am today, who I've become. Or maybe they're just a reflection on my nutty, yet wonderful, parents.

Household Renovation:
When I was about 5, I decided that the bathroom was too far away. So I made one of my own. With a toilet and everything. It didn't work. I only got away with that once.

Meet My Pet...Maxwell House:
My parents always encouraged me to be creative, independent, self-sufficient. Because of this, I never had a huge cache of toys. This drove my dad nuts. One day I recall his booming voice asking my mom, "Have you seen what Chris is playing with?" I followed his voice into the kitchen and faced them both with my newly created toy - a piece of string tied around a coffee can. It was the last straw for my father. He bundled me in the car and we went to Toys R Us.

Mr. Happy Feet:
My mom was really into healthy eating and we rarely had any sugar in the house. So, when there was something particularly naughty around, man did I jones for it. One day I found a bag of chocolate chips destined for cookies. I crammed myself in the pantry, closed the door behind me and went to town. My mom eventually found me, not by motherly intuition but because of the fact that my happy little toes were sticking out from under the pantry door, wiggling as I shoved chocolate chips into my mouth.

The Smallest Cupcake Ever:
My mom and I used to go to the Galleria in Houston during the summer. We'd go see a movie and walk around. And we'd always stop at See's to get a couple pieces of candy. Like I said, my mom was very anti-junk fook, so I vividly remember the first time we went to See's. As I finished the first piece of candy, I crumpled the little brown paper it came in and I said, "Gee mom, that was the best cupcake I ever had."

Posted by Chris at December 3, 2003 12:48 PM
Comments

Our parents were separated at birth.

Except, I used to eat Crisco by the handful instead of chocolate chips (those were good, too), because my mom was all "fat-is-the-tool-of-Satan-and-my-children-will-not-have-more-than-half-a-gram-a-week."

And my parents gave in to Toys R Us when my sister wouldn't stop wearing a colander on her head...they replaced it with a plastic fireman's helmet.

Posted by: Anne at December 3, 2003 2:08 PM

Erm, 'scuse the screwing up of the comments window. Shoulda thrown a break in, it seems.

Posted by: Anne at December 3, 2003 2:09 PM

OMG the Maxwell house one had me in tears. :-D That is classic.

I remember when I was about 5 or 6, and had been learning to read in school, I was with my mom somewhere, and we were in a bathroom stall together. So I decided to use my newfound power of reading, and read out loud was what written on the stall walls. Of course the first thing I read was "FUCK" quite loudly. I think I vividly remember the look of surprize and embarrassment on my mom's face LOL

See, you don't need us asking you questions to come up with good content ;)

Posted by: Irma at December 3, 2003 2:12 PM

Rolling over the chocolate chips one!
I had an odd thing for butter as a child, I would sit with a spoon and go to town on a tub of it. Now the thought of doing that makes me cringe.

Posted by: Theresa at December 3, 2003 3:23 PM

It's amazing what we remember from childhood, I have loads of memories some bad, some good. Sounds like you had a happy upbringing.

Posted by: Cathy at December 3, 2003 3:24 PM

I rememeber thinking that a monster would come out the toilet when I flushed it, so I'd quickly flush and get the hell back downstairs right quick, I never told my parents this fear.. Maybe cos I knew it was stoopid really hehe

Posted by: Sonia at December 3, 2003 3:26 PM

hehehe every kid should have a coffee can to play with ;)

Posted by: Jaded Angel at December 3, 2003 4:15 PM

the cupcake story was so cute!

I used to steal liptons soup from the pantry and use hot tap water to make "soup"....icky.

Posted by: Kimmie at December 4, 2003 10:06 AM