December 16, 2003

White Elephant

On Thursday we're having a 'white elephant' gift exchange. How did I manage to make it 31 years without ever having heard of such a thing?

Our spending limit was $20 so I went for the Starbucks gift card. How could you pass up $20 worth of stuff from Starbucks? And of course I got myself something too. Gingerbread latte = good!

Posted by Chris at December 16, 2003 4:40 PM
Comments

STOP IT STOP IT!!!!!!!

You are killing me, you know that??

You're doing it on purpose, AREN'T YOU?????????

Posted by: Irma at December 16, 2003 4:45 PM

Bastard!!!!

(er, unfinished thought made it to comment 2 *grin*)

Posted by: Irma at December 16, 2003 4:47 PM

I guess everyone has their own definition of a white elephant gift exchange. in the ones I've seen, everyone brings something that they already have but don't want. the awfuler the better.
it also helps to have some alcohol at those functions.

Posted by: liz at December 16, 2003 4:50 PM

....wtf is a white elephant gift exchange?! *blinks and feels helplessly confused*

Posted by: sg at December 16, 2003 5:32 PM

In a White Elephant gift exchange, everyone brings a gift [yes, the "awefuller the better!"] and then everyone picks a number at the beginning of the exchange. #1 picks a gift and opens it... it is displayed, and everyone "oh's and ah's" over it... or they laugh hysterically. #2 gets the option of either *snatching* #1's gift, or opening a new one. Then #3 has the option of *snatching* either #1's or #2's gift, or opening a new one............ and so on, down the line. So as you can see, the LAST person wields GREAT power on their turn, being able to choose from every gift in the room. In my last corporate White Elephant exchange, I was that last person. Since I despised a good percentage of the people in that room, it was with GREAT pleasure that I picked the highest number.... hee hee My boss got stuck with a hideous gaudy vinyl shower curtain. But I was able to snatch a wonderful large box of aroma therapy candles!!!!! :-D

Posted by: *Dee* at December 17, 2003 8:45 AM

Chris, while I'm here... can I make a request?? :-) *full-text rss feed...* ???? I started browsing my favorite blogs on "Bloglines.com"... I just love it. But for your blog, I only get the title of each entry. Or at least, can I get a little teaser excerpt?? hehe

Posted by: *Dee* at December 17, 2003 8:49 AM

cute w/the white elephant thing...now i'm all wanting a cup o'coffee...and since i'm sans transportation, i will have to make my own espresso, thankyouverymuch ;)

(p.s. if you do a full feed, make sure it has comments too...i like reading through comments ;) hehe)

Posted by: azure at December 17, 2003 9:49 AM

Yeah. I have to agree. You are supposed to bring a really crappy gift. So just send the gift card my way.

Posted by: FN at December 17, 2003 10:06 AM

I'd never heard it called a White Elephant exchange before last year...

...my family does it every year at Christmas, but we call it a Yankee Swap. Maybe that'll explain it to the kids who're getting confused by this elephant thing?

Posted by: Anne at December 17, 2003 12:07 PM

In my neck of the woods, it's called 'Dirty Santa'

Posted by: wlfldyz at December 18, 2003 11:10 AM