January 31, 2004

Bits And Pieces

A few bits and pieces gathered throughout the day...

Quick Review: A while back I wrote a quick review of Mystic River - the book. We went and checked out the movie this afternoon. It was excellent and stuck remarkably close to the novel. That said, if you were forced into making a choice between the book and the movie, I'd still go with the book.

Offsides? I'll admit it here and now - I'm not a football fan. I don't have anything against it, I just frankly don't care. So would it sound entirely too strange if I told you I was honestly considering TiVoing the game so I could fastforward through the football part ot see the commercials? Or is that a penalty for illegal use of TiVo equipment?

Hair, Mind...Both Terrible Things to Waste: After the movie this afternoon, getting ready to head out for dinner (so this happened about 10 minutes ago).

Me: What are you looking at?
Her: Just your hair. You're right. Its going a little gray.
Me: I'm lucky. None of the men in my family are bald.
Her: Its passed down through the women.
Me: None of them are bald either.
Her: Your grandfather is pretty bald.
Me: Well, not really.
Her: He's lost a lot of his hair.
Me: He's lost a lot of his mind. I'm not sure he notices the hair all that much.

Posted by Chris at January 31, 2004 4:36 PM
Comments

hehehe I love that last line...

I've never watched the SuperBowl and I can't say I'd want to sit through it just for the commercials - not even fast-forwarding. You can usually find all the ads on the web by the next day, anyway.

Posted by: pie at January 31, 2004 5:23 PM

haha, that last line made me laugh also =)

Posted by: tiffanie at January 31, 2004 9:14 PM

You don't like football? Sheesh! What the heck is wrong with you? Huh?

JK. ;-)

Posted by: Burnt Fuse at January 31, 2004 10:24 PM

I think you should Tivo whatever you want. You pay for it, right? Usually people skip the commercials with regular TV, but with the Super Bowl (if you're not a football fan), please go ahead and watch whatever part of it that you want. The Tivo people are used to people skipping their commercials anyway, so they'd probably be glad to actually have someone watch them. For once. :)

Posted by: Zandria at January 31, 2004 11:45 PM

uh... isn't that what Tivo is for? getting around the boring stuff? whether you find the football or the commericals the boring stuff is completely unrelated. =)

oh! i've been meaning to tell you... i saw a guy at my gym a few days ago who looked very much like you! atleast from what i can tell from your pics. but yeah, i had to do a double take. it was weird...

Posted by: Judy at January 31, 2004 11:48 PM

ha!

Posted by: Rachel in Alaska at February 1, 2004 12:25 AM

I don't find anything wrong with just wanting to see the commercials. I'm going to have to have the game on at work tomorrow and am really not into watching it and am hoping my customers aren't going to think I'm a horrible person for reading while this oh so amazing football game is on. I mean who really cares? Ok, lots of you do, but not me.

Posted by: Adrienne at February 1, 2004 4:23 AM

I don't like football, nor the Super Bowl, at all either. But those commericals are too good to miss. I love it when major companys pay big bucks to get a 30 seconds slot for a silly and/or funny commerical. It certainly brings out a certain cheer in me, I admit.

Posted by: Maureen at February 1, 2004 5:29 PM

Um, I slept through the kickoff. I guess, technically, I slept through more than that, because the party was across the street at our neighbor's, and technically, I was napping with the children until about 5 p.m.

Posted by: Mindy at February 1, 2004 10:47 PM

Doesn't TiVo try to figure out what you like to view and then suggest that to you from that point on? If so, and you graze the commercials, will TiVo suggest a never-ending stream of two minute spews?

Posted by: wlfldy at February 2, 2004 8:22 AM

That is understandable that cash makes people disembarrass. But how to act when somebody doesn't have money? The one way is to receive the mortgage loans and just auto loan.

Posted by: AngeliqueGEORGE at May 14, 2010 1:27 AM