January 26, 2004

Brief Notes from the Arctic Tundra

1. Problems with working from home include strong desire to nap; lack of focus; limited ability to retrieve the information I actually need; multiple trips to the kitchen; strong desire to nap; easy access to guitars, music, televison and other distractions; cats want food constantly; strong desire to nap.

2. Do you have high-speed Internet access? If so, have you hugged your modem today? Now, you'd think that living a mere 30 miles from the nation's capital would negate any problems obtaining broadband access, right? Wrong. When I'm home, I'm stuck with dial-up. Which is whhyyyy...I'mmm...cooommmmuuunnnniiicccccaaaatttttiiiinnnngggg....soooo....ssssllllooooowwwwllllllyyyyy. If I haven't visited your blog today, that's why. I'll get there soon.

3. Music tip in return for all your kind recommendations (which I will get to in a post soon): Lonliness Knows My Name by Patrick Park. This is an excellent and very ecclectic CD. I picked it up at Best Buy for $10 so what can you lose?

Posted by Chris at January 26, 2004 2:30 PM
Comments

Great, now you have me thinking about a nap.

Posted by: Lee at January 26, 2004 2:38 PM

I have only two more days until I start my new job. After freelancing for months, it's going to be weird to actually get dressed up to work in a REAL office. Working from home requires more motivation than I can ever muster.

And hey, don't feel bad about being stuck with dial-up. That's what I still have.

Posted by: Dawn at January 26, 2004 2:54 PM

Cable's not all it's cracked up to be where I live. Unfortunately Comcast has something of a monopoly and DSL isn't available here yet, so I'm basically stuck with a modem that disconnects me about once an hour causing ridiculous numbers of reboots and large swatches of hair to be yanked out.

Posted by: pie at January 26, 2004 3:15 PM

i've heard horror stories of comcast before...
*shudder*
even though i'm an unpublished fiction writer,
when we lived in 3br, i had an office,
which was nice...
working from home might work better
if you had a routine to it...

Posted by: stacy at January 26, 2004 4:45 PM

I can't work from home. I lack the focus. I'd be napping all damn day. I've never been able to do it. My C average in School wasn't because I wasn't smart, it was because I *NEVER* did homework.

Posted by: Jaded Angel at January 26, 2004 6:33 PM

ha! trying being 40 miles from DC! in the middle of no where!! but my best friend, who is just a mere 7 miles north of me, gets DSL. but no, not us. we're "outside the limits". luckily my dad got an ISDN line through his work, for when he needs to access work from home, so it's a little bit faster than dial up.

but yes, the snow was very fun today. i wasn't planning on going to work, but at 8:45am one of my coworkers called and offered to pick me up (she lives just a 1/2 mile down the road from me, and she has a 4 wheel drive suv), so i commuted in with her. and then we all got to leave the office early, around 3:45pm. but tomorrow's gonna be fun, too. yay for ice...

Posted by: Judy at January 26, 2004 6:57 PM

Working at home is like doing homework at home.. Only I don't have a choice, I have to do my homework!

Posted by: Ginny at January 26, 2004 11:42 PM

I have a strong desire to nap this morning and I'm in the office! :)

Posted by: Kimmie at January 27, 2004 9:39 AM

How was the nap?? LOL

Alaska is more advanced the DC. Who would have thunk???

Posted by: Rachel in Alaska at January 27, 2004 9:05 PM