January 14, 2004

New Addition

Around the age of six or seven, I decided that, more than anything in the world, I wanted to play the piano. My parents gladly complied - their only mistake was actually buying instead of renting a piano. I played that thing to death only stopping when my parents actually got me a piano teacher. Put structure to something and I'm outta there. Once they gave up on the idea, I started to play again. When we moved from Houston in 1989, we sold the piano.

A few months back, my in-laws began redecorating their house and kindly donated their piano to us. Meet the new member of the family!

Posted by Chris at January 14, 2004 5:21 PM
Comments

oo hello Hand.. tv work been bad lately after The Adams Family? Shame. Have you tried hospital dramas or horror flicks?

Posted by: Fluffy at January 14, 2004 5:36 PM

Right on! No matter what other instruments I go through (and I go through a lot) I always have to have a piano in the house. Enjoy! =)

Posted by: pie at January 14, 2004 5:39 PM

ah, the hand shot...you *do* know how to make a girl happy :)

Posted by: azure at January 14, 2004 5:42 PM

I cried when my parents sold the piano. It was a gorgeous English upright...our tuner said he'd only seen one other like it in his career.

My sister took Suzuki lessons (learn by ear, not by sight), and my lessons were restricted to clarinet and saxophone...but I could read music, so I still play decently well. Well, I would, if I had a piano to play. Lucky you to get one for free!

Posted by: Anne at January 14, 2004 6:27 PM

Very cool. I love piano music. I wish I could play.

Posted by: Rachel in Alaska at January 14, 2004 6:36 PM

Being a music performance major, the piano is the one instrument I am deathly afraid of.

I am a big wuss!

Posted by: whistler at January 14, 2004 9:12 PM

Play 'Misty' for me.

Posted by: Hunter at January 14, 2004 9:29 PM

Kevin probably wouldn't let me have a piano.. ;-(

Posted by: Ginny at January 14, 2004 11:09 PM

i used to play the clarinet in the 6th grade. i was absent the day we signed up for instruments, so about a week later i talked to the band instructor and had to catch up. i ended up learning to play "Mary had a little lamb" in just an hour or 2. if i would have continued playing, i would have been placed in "Concert Band", the highest level band in junior high. but i quit and sold my clarinet. i wish i wouldn't have, because i was pretty good for my age/experience and i'm sure it would have been a good hobby. =\

Posted by: tiffanie at January 15, 2004 12:03 AM

Gotta 'hand' it to ya...

Yeah, nothing like a little structure to kill the joy...

Posted by: Amber at January 15, 2004 9:46 AM

Congrats on the piano! I can't live without one in the house, though I haven't played mine in a while.

Posted by: amber at January 15, 2004 10:10 AM

So Chris, can you read music, or do you play by ear? I always wished that I was one of those people who could "feel" the music. I was restricted to learning the actual notes, which I was never very good at... I haven't played in years. :(

Posted by: Zandria at January 15, 2004 1:11 PM

oooooh, that's a good brand, too! i played the piano when i was little, too. took lessons for 10 years... only quit when i went off to college...

i miss it now.

Posted by: Judy at January 15, 2004 1:31 PM

When I was 4 I begged to learn piano. My folks got me an ACCORDIAN instead. It was as big as I was.

I still long to play. It's on my "to do before I die" list.

Posted by: Mala at January 15, 2004 3:12 PM

I always find that people who play for the love of it rather than playing because they took lessons keep it up a lot longer. I had only a year of lessons but I play more (and better) than several people I know with five or six years. I don't have a piano where I live right now, but I get to play at least 2 or 3 times a week, so I'm ok.
The hand shot...back in high school when I had to take art, I attempted to draw hands playing a piano. It didn't work. Hands are hard to draw in the first place, but then add the perspective of the keys? (it was a side view). Scary.

Posted by: Heather at January 16, 2004 2:52 PM

Hey that's great Chris. I hope you enjoy playing it again. With or without structure. lol I bet you're good too :o)

Posted by: seger at January 18, 2004 7:58 AM

I lived without my piano for several years before finally getting it back. Even though I don't play it much, it was such a part of my childhood that it just feels better to have it in my house again.

Posted by: Empress at January 20, 2004 12:49 PM

Great site fatty lose weight with reductil and reductil uk

Posted by: reductil uk at July 9, 2004 1:02 AM