January 15, 2004

Waste of Space

When I was growing up, like most kids, I got hooked on space. I watched old Star Trek episodes, read sci-fi novels and stared up at the sky for long periods of time, imagining what it must be like. Even in my 30's I'm still pretty curious about what might be out there.

That said, I think Dubya's plan to land on the moon is one of the most singularly stupid things I've ever heard. Especially now.

It seems to me $12 billion is a lot to spend over the next five years. Especially while the economy is only now staging a slow recovery, unemployment rates remain high and more jobs continue to be shipped overseas, nearly every state in the Union faces critical budget deficits inevitably leading to a decrease in state funding of educational and social welfare programs, not to mention the "war against terror."

And why now? Why the sudden need? It's been 31 years since our last visit. Surely the moon can wait. Could it be a diversionary tactic? Maybe a little election-year politics? Is Dubya "pulling a Kennedy?" Surely not.

Like I said, I'm into space as much as the next person and I do believe its a noble goal. But not now. Not when we have so many other things on which we could be spending this money. Not when there are people fighting wars on our behalf in dusty corners of the world and people starving in the streets of our own hometowns.

Posted by Chris at January 15, 2004 12:21 PM
Comments

Exactly!

Posted by: Empress at January 15, 2004 12:24 PM

Here ! Here !
I agree entirely and i dont even know half of the problems Bushy is creating in the US.

Posted by: Fluffy at January 15, 2004 12:44 PM

I'd rather see the money go to NASA than this ridiculous marriage promotion campaign - $1.5 BILLION going towards that.

Give me the moon anyday.

Posted by: Mala at January 15, 2004 3:10 PM

I'd rather see the money go towards something with a point.

Posted by: Marie at January 15, 2004 3:17 PM

This is exactly why he/his cabinet have come up with this idea now. He's concerned about his public image and so he aims for the kid in everyone by stating an outlandish plan that we all once dreamed of - except without the hover cars, at least so far.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the self-cleaning house.

Posted by: Pie at January 15, 2004 3:52 PM

where our personal rocket packs? Would sure save alot on parking!!

Posted by: whistler at January 15, 2004 4:01 PM

Shrub is insane. He needs to go. The end.

Posted by: Burnt Fuse at January 15, 2004 4:27 PM

My little brother is convinced that the space exploration program is fake, and that it is funding the war. (yes, he's a bit of a weird one sometimes).

The moon will wait. Maybe we can send Dubya there and then forget to bring him back.

Posted by: Kimmie at January 15, 2004 4:45 PM

I agree with Kimmie...let's send Shrub to the moon!!! Along with Cheney, Ashcroft, Rummy, and the gang. Maybe they'll find the WMDs up there!

Posted by: dawn at January 15, 2004 6:51 PM

On the other hand, I read at Coffee Achiever some good reasons to put money in the space program. She's got a nice long list of things we take for granted today that are a result of research by NASA. Even if I do think it is a big publicity stunt, I hate to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Posted by: Alicia at January 15, 2004 9:51 PM

We have to go to the moon to see if Alice (from The Honeymooners) is there. You know, "To the MOON, Alice!"

Posted by: BillH at January 16, 2004 12:05 AM

That could possibly be the stupidest thing I've heard this week. What about the people dying in Africa of AIDS that he promised to help? I think that is much more important than the damn moon. Hmph.

Posted by: Jennie at January 16, 2004 2:06 PM

dubya is the single biggest disappointment
of my life...
i'm pretty sure he performs
a partial birth abortion in the oval office
every night;
after all,
he's lied about everything else...

that said--
the first space program was concurrent
with the war in vietnam
and a war on poverty,
all of which happened during a time
of a stagnant economy
caught in an inflationary spiral...

so as long as money is being thrown
insanely in every direction,
it might as well be thrown into space
and spent on the moon...

well, no, that's not enthusiastic support,
it's just disillusioned acquiescence
(yes, i have a dictionary,
and i'm not afraid to use it!)

Posted by: stacy at January 16, 2004 4:51 PM

The other thing one should notice, particularly since Hubbell was just given a death sentence, is that he's only putting in $1B in new money; the other $11B has to come out of "other NASA programs."

Posted by: Linkmeister at January 18, 2004 2:24 AM

I agree completely!! If we were to profit or gain somehow by inhabiting the moon with scientists, then I am sure there would be many supporting this endeavor, but it seems frivolous! One issue I have a problems with is the fact that too many Americans [like myself recently] have jobs that don't offer healthcare benefits, and are are without health insurance due to the extreme expense... I would like to see some money sunk into THAT issue

Posted by: *Dee* at January 19, 2004 8:53 AM