January 22, 2004

You Outta Be In Pictures

Have you ever thought about the number of pictures you've appeared in? The number of places your image has traveled? Think about it.

Let's say you're a well-traveled individual. Maybe you've made it to most states in the US or hopped over the pond to a couple European capitals. When you did this, you probably ran into a lot of people doing the same thing, each with a camera. Maybe many of those people caught you in their lenses.

You were snapped in Trafalgar Square chasing pidgeons. You were in the corner of a picture of the Eiffel Tower, caught while you were posing for a picture of your own. While you were getting a shot of the view over the edge of the Grand Canyon, someone captured you in their attempt at a panoramic shot. And the time your father took that picture of you at the peak, having finally made it to the top of Mount Moran.

And maybe the photographer in Trafalgar Square lives in Tokyo and blew up that shot to show all of his business associates. The man taking the picture in which you were caught at the Eiffel Tower is a spy, taking surveillance photos for the Russian government. And the woman who attempted that panoramic shot of the Grand Canyon now treasures that photo, the last one saved before a blaze consumed her home. You appeared as a barely human speck on the peak of a mountain taken by an older man from a wheelchair who'd never climb that high again.

Do you know how many people's lives your a part of? How many people's memories? Think about it.

Posted by Chris at January 22, 2004 7:51 PM
Comments

That's better than feeling like a part of the universe, albeit a tiny part, when looking at the stars. Thanks :)

Posted by: Alicia at January 22, 2004 8:21 PM

wow...how do you think of this stuff? =)

Posted by: tiffanie at January 22, 2004 9:14 PM

i usually watch
"It's a wonderful life" this time of year,
too...
:p

Posted by: stacy at January 22, 2004 9:33 PM

Great post!

Posted by: Empress at January 22, 2004 9:33 PM

While I was at university I worked on a historic site in costume during the summers. We often talked about how our pictures were all over the world! It's kinda crazy! I think as your talking is especially cool though, the pictures you are in as a result of coincidence.. cool thought!
...*

Posted by: starlite at January 22, 2004 10:00 PM

I actually do think about that. Especially given the massive quantities of photos (analog and digital) I've taken through the years. Even examining the faces in some of the pictures I've taken throughout the years and wondering about the people I'd inadvertently captured.

After we graduated from college, my (now) husband and I did our 'grand tour'. While we were walking around the Tower of London, Ross thought it was hilarious to go behind/around anyone with a video camera and ask in an EXTREMELY loud voice, "Where're the family jewels?!?" Of course, we found this hilariously funny - picturing all those families getting home to watch their vacation movies with an obnxious American asking about the 'family jewels'. hmmm...seems like a lifetime ago.

Posted by: kelly at January 23, 2004 12:57 AM

I do know one of my photos my friend K sent to her mom (that I had taken) went to MA and in 12 hours (when I posted to a msg board) a gal in MA had seen it.
Someone else CLAIMED to have seen my exact photo (this was of the northern lights) in the paper in CA but I never SAW it to confirm it.

Posted by: Rachel in Alaska at January 23, 2004 1:18 AM

That's a great post..

Made me think, though. Damn you.

Happy Friday

xx

Posted by: Marie at January 23, 2004 6:59 AM

Very cool thing to think about. :) Thanks for that...have a great day!

Posted by: Kimmie at January 23, 2004 8:45 AM

OK, now you've got me wondering how many bad pictures there are of me floating around the world. Thanks alot! (Actually, I think it's pretty cool that someone could have a picture of me that is completely "by accident", I'm part of someone else's history now).Thanks!

Posted by: Krush at January 23, 2004 9:18 AM

I actually thought of this while looking at the pics we have of us infront of the christmas tree at Rockefeller center in NY. People there didn't wait untill someone finished their photo. They all got into other peoples pictures!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Posted by: Sweety at January 23, 2004 9:49 AM

Sometimes I wonder about that, too - I've probably showed up in a great many tourist videos, walking past the San Francisco Opera House en route to the box office where I worked.

Weird.

Posted by: Tara at January 23, 2004 10:28 AM

after i clicked post,
i realized how obnoxious my remark sounded--
i was just kidding!!!

Posted by: stacy at January 23, 2004 11:09 AM

You're always saying something that makes me stop and think. (Either that, or laugh...both of which are okay.) :) The thought of appearing in other people's photos and/or video cameras is definitely a strange thought.

I'm getting a mental picture of a nasty, fat, beer-swilling guy from West Virginia going through his vacation photos. "Hey, lookee here," he says. "Lookee this hot girl in this picture I took. I'm going to crop her out and blow her up real big and hang it on the wall in my TRAILER. Lucky me." :)

Posted by: Zandria at January 23, 2004 4:47 PM