February 16, 2004

Coco Channel and Oscar De La Renta Have Entered The Building

I think the woman in the office next to mine swam in perfume before she came to work this morning. Either that or Elizabeth Arden died in her office over the weekend. Now, I like a good smelling woman just as much as the next guy but please - there's a need for some subtlety and discretion. It smells like the perfume counter at Macy's here.

Posted by Chris at February 16, 2004 12:21 PM
Comments

I am with you on that. I can't stand it when people wear too much perfume...especially very strong perfume, like Chanel No. 5. I prefer lighter scents, anyway.

I actually get headaches and my eyes get all teary in department stores near the perfume counters, and when standing in elevators near women wearing heavy doses of strong perfume.

I know they want to smell good, but I always heard that if you can smell the perfume on yourself (without sniffing your wrist), it's probably too strong.

Posted by: Dawn at February 16, 2004 12:53 PM

Haha! I hate it when people wear too much purfume! Especially when you have to sit next to them all day!

Dew

Posted by: dewnut at February 16, 2004 1:04 PM

Ah, yes...perfumania. Consider yourself blessed that your coworker is wearing an upper end brand. A woman in my office wears whatever the latest brand is at the Dollar Tree, and enough of it to make you choke. The real treat is when she comes in right after her smoke break and leans right next to me to whisper the latest gossip (that alone can ruin a good day...I don't think I've ever signed up to be in the tabloid circle...but I digress). The mingling of the smoke on her breath and clothes with the cheap perfume is truly staggering.

Posted by: Heather at February 16, 2004 1:23 PM

Also is it just me or does lots of perfume make you get a headache?

Posted by: Fluffy at February 16, 2004 1:43 PM

I've written about the TPL (Toxic Perfume Lady). Oh how do I hate her.

Posted by: emily at February 16, 2004 2:20 PM

People who wear too much perfume/cologne - oh man, not good. it gives me a headache, and i am rude to 'em.

it's like a bad reflex, i just can;t help it.

Posted by: sledge at February 16, 2004 2:30 PM

LMAO :))) I KNOW what you mean. You could give her a subtle hint...

Posted by: Sweety at February 16, 2004 3:07 PM

That is on the top of my list of annoyances in the work place. Luckily the only person that does it here currently is on the main floor so I don't have to deal with it. Headache city.

Posted by: Kimmie at February 16, 2004 3:45 PM

LOL! I remember in highschool when all the stupid boys thought that somehow more was better when it came to cologne... Enough designer imposter cologne in home-room to kill a horse. :-)

Posted by: Ginny at February 16, 2004 4:43 PM

I hate people that do that! And men are just as guilty as women. Phew!!!

Posted by: Burnt Fuse at February 16, 2004 5:56 PM

*pity*

Lucky for me, we have a no-scent policy at work. We have a lot of clients who have allergies/get migraines from strong perfumes. It sure makes it nice not to have to smell that stuff all day.

Posted by: Mel at February 16, 2004 6:06 PM

Do you figure these people just don't know? I mean, who would do that on purpose? It gives me a headache. I will occasionally double check with a friend to make sure I don't fall in that category, but what do guys and gals with no clue do?

There has to be a polite way to let her know she could tone it down a bit. Why should you have to suffer?

Posted by: Alicia at February 16, 2004 6:41 PM

Drives me crazy when people do that. I always want to say Must you bathe in it?

Posted by: Cornelia at February 17, 2004 12:12 PM

Pray for the Elizabeth Arden thing. That way, it wouldn't be every day.

Posted by: Cassie-b at February 17, 2004 6:57 PM