March 7, 2004

Lockup on Aisle Three Please

For living in a large town it seems like we sure do get excited about little things. This month's craze? A new grocery store opened near us - its not one of the usual suspects we have around town and its probably at least 3 times the size of the largest store around. Beth and I, not wanting to be left out of the excitement, decided to wander through today. And I saw something I've never before seen - a locked produce case. Of course, there's good reason...

So did the store live up to the hype? You bet. I'm really not one to get excited about a grocery store but this was truly impressive. For all you in the DC area, I'm talking about Wegmans out by Dulles airport in Northern Virginia.

Posted by Chris at March 7, 2004 4:46 PM
Comments

i'd love a produce case. don't ask me why.

wink wink.

Posted by: Marie at March 7, 2004 5:40 PM

Oh. My. God. $499 a pound? For fungus? Unreal.

Posted by: Lisa at March 7, 2004 7:46 PM

Seriously. Does that really say $499 a pound?! Is there a big demand for truffles there? I live in Chicago and have never seen anything like that!

Posted by: Hunter at March 7, 2004 8:15 PM

Well I guess someone's got to keep those truffle pigs in the style they're accustomed to.

Posted by: Fi at March 7, 2004 8:47 PM

*oink*

Posted by: tj at March 7, 2004 8:58 PM

I can think of about 499 other things I'd rather spend $499 on. Bleah.

Posted by: pie at March 7, 2004 9:01 PM

I started getting junk mail from that store about a month ago. We drove past it last week, but I haven't gone yet. I probably wouldn't have gone had I not read this blog, but now I have to go see the pricey fungus!

Posted by: Nicole at March 7, 2004 9:54 PM

Pretty hoity-toity for an airport grocery store out in the sticks. ;-)

Love,
Snobby Obnoxious DC City Girl

Posted by: Amalah at March 7, 2004 10:25 PM

Ugh ugh ugh. They'd have to pay me 499$ to take that home with me :) But since they sell that, they must have more ehm.. special things :)

Posted by: Sweety at March 8, 2004 3:00 AM

woah.. 499.99 that is something I havent seen in a grocery store, but then again I like in hickville southern illinois, so that could be why ;)

Do you take a camera with you everywhere? :-D

Posted by: Katie at March 8, 2004 8:32 AM

you other people can trash Wegman's all you like, but you're crazy.

we've got one at home in PA. it's the ONLY place to go when you need something even slightly out of the ordinary, though i suppose that's not such a big deal in a big city like DC.

plus the selection of items & brands is great. the prices (except for the truffles, obviously) are usually very good. the produce section can't be beaten, for you weirdo plant eaters, and the seafood section is equally amazing.

they have a pharmacy and film developing and a children's play area, you can rent videos, they have a bigger book/magazine section than any other grocery store i've ever seen, with CHAIRS, they give away turkeys at thanksgiving, they sell christmas trees and pumpkins, they make deli trays and have a great bakery, and i don't know about the DC one, but when you walk into the one at home, WARM AIR BLOWS ON YOU.

it's great.

Posted by: kelly at March 8, 2004 8:45 AM

I want a Wegman's in Chicago- I've heard nothing but awesome things about them.

Posted by: Kristi at March 8, 2004 10:01 AM

I was totally jealous when I heard all you way-out suburbanites were getting a wegman's. ditto to kelly on having one in my hometown (I don't call it home because good god I'm embarrassed I came from there). wegman's rocks.

Posted by: liz at March 8, 2004 10:14 AM

Wegman's rules! I went to one in Rochester, NY years ago and fell in love with it. I am very excited to have one here now, but I'm waiting for the madness to wane before I make a trip out there.

Posted by: jen at March 8, 2004 10:36 AM

Ok, I know what you're getting me for my birthday this year!

Posted by: katherine at March 8, 2004 12:41 PM

I would have asked the produce manager, "do these deep fry well? You know, like jalapeno poppers?" Hard to keep a straight face, though.

Posted by: Lisa at March 10, 2004 1:13 PM

$499 a pound??? Are they crazy?? Did anyone buy some??? holy moses!!!

Posted by: Rachel in Alaska at March 10, 2004 10:20 PM

Great site fatty lose weight with reductil and reductil uk

Posted by: reductil at July 9, 2004 2:57 AM