March 12, 2004

Mice Mice Baby

Allow me, if you will, to weave a little tail tale for you on this Friday morning...

Scene One: Thursday, 6:15 PM

Yesterday evening I arrived home after a long day of haikuing and getting actual work done. While I was upstairs chatting with Amy I noticed that the cats were acting funny but I really didn't pay that much attention to it. They're odd cats. This was nothing new. Because I was quite lazy, I called for a pizza instead of cooking. While waiting for both my wife and the pizza, I heard the cats playing. They play-fight a lot. I went downstairs to make sure it wasn't going to escalate into full-scale Tyson-Holyfield style violence. And as soon as I did, something shot out from in between the two cats and made for the basement. Yep. A mouse.

Pixel (the black cat) caught it, shoved it in his mouth and ran downstairs. It got free, he recaptured it, it squeaked...overall impressive cos my cat rocked but still, I felt for the mouse. Instead of allowing it to become an epic battle worthy of Patton and Rommel, I was able to remove Pixel from the situation at which time Callie took over. Her approach to mouse capture was much different - she perfered to sniff it into submission. Mouse wound up under the coffee table where it stayed while I confined Callie. I was able to move the eight-billion pound coffee table and trap the mouse under a trash can. Beth got home and we returned it to the wild.

Before I go any further, let me please explain that we live in a nice place, not prone to infestations. And we're pretty clean people too. We don't leave big hunks of cheese lying about or anything.

Scene Two: Bed, Friday, 3:30 AM

Now, I'm not awakened by much but early this morning I was awakened by strange things coming from the master bathroom. And no cats on the bed. Hmmm. Trying not to wake Beth, I made my way into the bathroom where Callie and Pixel were camped out. And sticking out from under the bathmat was a tiny gray tail. Instead of doing anything constructive, I went into the bathroom, shut the door and turned on the light. This set several things into motion - Mouse II freaked out and scurried from under the bathmat, Pixel gave chase, Callie sniffed it into corners...all while I, naked, tired and confused, watched on.

Being a veteran at mouse chasing by this point, I immediately got the cats out of the bathroom and managed to get Mouse II into the same trashcan Mouse I ended up in. Luckily, before I took him outside, it dawned on me that, no matter how late the hour, it was probably a good idea to put some clothes on. So I did then promptly freed Mouse II.

By 4:00 this morning I was on a full-scale mouse-hole hunt. I didn't find anything. Then a cat puked so I had to clean that up. I finally threw in the towel around 4:20.

And that's my day off so far! Happy Friday everyone! I'll be hunting mice. Mickey's ass is mine!

Posted by Chris at March 12, 2004 8:39 AM
Comments

Dude, what the hell have you been feeding that mouse? Look at the size of that beast?

I'm scared.

Posted by: yvonne at March 12, 2004 8:47 AM

Good for you for setting the poor rodent free.

Posted by: Cornelia at March 12, 2004 9:02 AM

Totally inappropriate response from a girl who would not want that in her apartment: "Awww! He is so cute!!!"

Posted by: feisty girl at March 12, 2004 9:07 AM

Here's what I got out of that story.... you sleep in the nude??? I'm sorry - my bad. I'm not a perv, I'm just in one of those crazy moods today!!! LMAO. Just let me have my vision. :-)

Posted by: Dee at March 12, 2004 9:11 AM

P.S. I agree with feisty girl... that is a REALLY cute mouse!!! :-)

Posted by: Dee at March 12, 2004 9:12 AM

Totally inapproriate response from the guy who want's to train his cats to be mousers: "Send a couple over here."

Posted by: feisty girl's husband at March 12, 2004 9:12 AM

I have to agree, that is one cute mouse, although perhaps less cute at four am. Good Luck on the mouse hunt!

Posted by: Oliquig at March 12, 2004 9:21 AM

Dude, that's not a mouse. It's a fucking chinchilla.

Posted by: Coleen at March 12, 2004 9:25 AM

My cats catch mice outside and bring them indoors to munch on them quietly in front of the TV.

Posted by: emily at March 12, 2004 9:27 AM

CHRIS!!! Ya know, a RESPONSIBLE blogger would have given a warning of some kind, realizing that there are those of us with PHOBIAS and OCD reading.

Excuse me, I now have to go scrub with pure bleach and Brillo pads and then check to make sure my keys are in my purse a few hundred times.

Posted by: gesikah at March 12, 2004 9:44 AM

Great story. Our old cat cornered a mouse once and played with it till we ended playtime. Same method.

Another time, she came face to face with a little mouse when she wandered off in the yard, (indoor cat, only allowed on the deck), and I she made a noise that sounded like a scream, and headed for the house. The little mouse made a similar sound, and headed the other way. Hey, maybe I should post this.

Have a great weekend.
Cas

Posted by: Cassie-b at March 12, 2004 9:50 AM

Maybe Mouse II was actually still Mouse I and just wanted another tussle with the cats. Also the opportunity to see you naked.

Posted by: amalah at March 12, 2004 9:58 AM

Posted by: Zoot at March 12, 2004 10:53 AM

My response to mice is usually make oogey boogey sounds and stand on a chair. SOunds like you're in for an eventful day.

Posted by: sphinx at March 12, 2004 10:53 AM

holy crap. that's the most adorable mouse.

& you've got some vicious pussies there. ba-dum tsh.

Posted by: Marie at March 12, 2004 10:56 AM

You have weird nights, replacing batteries of fire alarms, chasing mice, and all this naked.

Cute mouse tho :)

Posted by: Sweety at March 12, 2004 11:03 AM

that mouse is way cuter than the little beasts that i lived with for two years at my old apartment. i would be lying in bed in the dark when i would here something in the room, turn the light on and see the damn thing scurrying away. so off to the couch i would go to attempt to sleep. this went on the entire time i lived there because i didn't want to hurt them and besides, the stupid glu traps caught me more than anything else.

now in this apartment, my ex got up one morning to find that my cat had killed a mouse. i made sure he got rid of it before i left the bedroom. that was the one and only mouse i've ever had in this apartment.

Posted by: laura at March 12, 2004 11:13 AM

Wow- sounds like one hell of a day off- shit, I'm almost glad I'm at work rather than dealing with that. Ick.

Did you really have to mention you were naked, though? I could have done without that visual...LOL

Posted by: Kristi at March 12, 2004 11:50 AM

HAHAHAHAHA. great story- you did well. Oh and what Zoot said made me laugh really hard.

Posted by: Maureen at March 12, 2004 11:57 AM

Oy! sounds like an eventful early morning! Good luck.. I hate mice.. but in the picture he IS kinda cute ;)

Posted by: starlite at March 12, 2004 12:45 PM

i'm beginning to think you're in a constant state of nakedness whenever you're at home.

Posted by: reb at March 12, 2004 1:16 PM

ZOOT: And the Mickey Mouse II is posting in HIS blog "So...I got the human to CHASE me, NAKED...."

LMAO! LMAO!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dee at March 12, 2004 1:33 PM

I take it the Spamwhich is taking a backseat too?

Posted by: Lee at March 12, 2004 2:40 PM

you know,
i don't eat meat,
but i kill mice...
my cat holds 'em,
i pick 'em up with needle nose pliers
and drop 'em in a jar, clap on the lid,
and out they go with their fleas
and disease...
if you find the hole,
pack it with steel wool before you spackle...
a welfare mom has to know these things...

Posted by: stacy at March 12, 2004 5:07 PM

Aww what a cute little mouse. My reaction to mice is usually to have a panic attack when I first see the movment out of the corner of my eye, because I'm worried its going to be a HUGE spider. Once I realize its not a spider, I usually follow it around going "awww its so cute"

Posted by: Jaded Angel at March 12, 2004 5:13 PM

O-M-G Gross.... it's huge!!! bleck!!! My cats keep finding mice in the garage.... ickkkkkkkkkkk I make D go get them out.

Posted by: Rachel in Alaska at March 12, 2004 5:52 PM

Does it make me weird that I think that mouse is really cute?

Posted by: Mel at March 12, 2004 7:12 PM

you have more adventures in the nude than i have fully dressed.

want to switch lives for a day? lol

Posted by: tiffanie at March 12, 2004 8:00 PM

First, I think I would wet my pants if I saw a mouse run across my floor.
Second, I think you should have gone outside naked. Would have given your neighbors something to talk about. You would be the crazy naked man with mice. Everyone has to have their "thing."

Posted by: Nicole at March 12, 2004 9:59 PM

Glad you set him free ;) When I lived in a shared house in London we had a mouse problem so we got in the exterminators. They laid down some of these sticky-paper traps, but didn't tell us what to do when we caught one.

So late one night, we hear squeaking in the kitchen and find one tiny little mouse stuck to the paper. We called up the exterminators who told us we were meant to fold the paper over the mouse's head and squish its skull. Yeah, right.

One of my housemates ended up having to kill it with an air rifle - we were all too squeamish to kill it with our bare hands and we couldn't get it off the paper, no matter how we tried. Humane traps, my ass.

Posted by: pie at March 12, 2004 10:17 PM

That is a friggin' big-ass mouse. Nasty. I would've let the cats eat it. Forget the 'run free little mousy' crap.

Posted by: Ginny at March 13, 2004 12:05 PM

hey! that mouse was in my house about two years ago! i'd recognize him anywhere. i freed him, too. glad to see he's doing okay and has not only lived for at least 6 months longer than the average mouse, but has also made it all the way to virginia. what a brilliant mouse.

Posted by: leah at March 13, 2004 11:48 PM