March 8, 2004

The Godfather (Or, An Offer I Could Refuse)

I know you people are going to revolt, gasp in horror and possibly even hate me but in the interest of being honest I have something to share with you. Until Saturday night, I'd never seen The Godfather. Want me to make it worse? I didn't really think it was all that good.

Ok...tell me I'm wrong. I know you wanna!

Posted by Chris at March 8, 2004 4:13 PM
Comments

No hate from this blogger. I never thought it was that good, either, but maybe because it's just not my kind of movie.
No gasps of horror either.

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at March 8, 2004 4:29 PM

I have never seen it either.

Posted by: Amy at March 8, 2004 4:31 PM

I have indeed seen it, but I dont remember much of it, but then again - I'm not a "mafia-movie" fan. I dont watch Sopranos either. But, I would have never admitted any of that before I saw your entry and the following comments (grin). You paved the way for the rest of us who were scared to admit the same...

I appreciate the hesitation though, I have gotten FLAMED for saying I didnt like "Raising Arizona" when I finally saw it a few years ago.

Posted by: Zoot at March 8, 2004 4:38 PM

I hadn't seen "The Godfather" myself until about a year ago, and although I thought it was good, I didn't think it was the best movie ever like some guys make it out to be. That and "Slap Shot". I'll never get that one.

Posted by: Kristi at March 8, 2004 4:41 PM

I'm going to take a deep breath. Hehehe, kinda kidding. But I do love the Godfather.

Did you watch the trilogy, or just the first one? Because the second's my favorite.

But I will grant that Scarface is better.

Posted by: Anne at March 8, 2004 4:55 PM

GASP! :: faints :: : P

Posted by: Theresa at March 8, 2004 5:00 PM

I'm glad to find other non fans out there. I watched it for the first (and only) time a few years ago and when I was over I was underwhelmed. I'm not into that genre generally speaking - didn't like Goodfellas either.

So, Yay for you! ;-)

Posted by: jen at March 8, 2004 5:05 PM

I still have never seen The Godfather...and it's not in my immediate plans, either.

What's worse? My boyfriend hasn't seen The Sound of Music!

Posted by: Mel at March 8, 2004 5:13 PM

Don't worry, I haven't seen it either. I've seen parts of it, usually while someone else is watching it and I walk by the TV and watch for a few minutes. But, I agree, what's the big deal? It's not like the movie portrays anything positive or uplifting.

Posted by: Missy at March 8, 2004 5:23 PM

I haven't seen it either. I have no interest in seeing it. There are far better things to watch and expose yourself to than the Godfather. Don't worry about not thinking it was very good!

Posted by: Anastasia at March 8, 2004 5:38 PM

mwahaha... I never saw the godfather until recently, and when I started watching it - I couldn't even finish it! I thought it was very uninteresting. so you're definitely not alone. it seems that there are quite a few who agree, actually. no fears! :)

Posted by: Jessica at March 8, 2004 5:38 PM

I have not seen the Godfather either. And I'm not sure that I want to. Does that make me bad?

Posted by: Shiz at March 8, 2004 6:03 PM

you're so right, & it feels so good. mrowr.

er, i mean.. you're so right. it's a terrible movie.

Posted by: Marie at March 8, 2004 6:29 PM

I've never seen it either. It doesn't even look appealing though. So, you're opinion is safe, I guess.

Posted by: Maureen at March 8, 2004 7:24 PM

I haven't seen it, but I will eventually, if only to understand all the jokes based on it.

Posted by: Heather at March 8, 2004 7:46 PM

I also saw it for the first time very recently. After it was over, I turned to my husband and said, "I thought there were a bunch of famous people in this movie. I didn't see any." He just looked at me and left the room.

Posted by: Monica at March 8, 2004 8:18 PM

I have never had a desire to the movie. It is my best friend's favorite. So one night, in order to get me to watch it, we decided to have a drinking game for the Godfather. Everytime someone got whacked, we would take a shot. Not smart. I think I made it through half of the movie before passing out. And I couldn't tell you what the hell happened, besides lots of people dying!

Posted by: Nicole at March 8, 2004 9:52 PM

I haven't seen that movie either but I'll send you a horses head anyway.

Posted by: Sweety at March 9, 2004 2:39 AM

The what???

Posted by: wlfldy at March 9, 2004 8:09 AM

I havne't seen it and don't care to see it.

Posted by: FN at March 9, 2004 10:10 AM

i've never seen it either. is that a cinematic sin?

Posted by: reb at March 9, 2004 12:14 PM

I haven't seen the entire thing myself. So you see, you are far from the only one.

Posted by: Cornelia at March 9, 2004 12:41 PM

and you call yourself a man?

Posted by: laura at March 9, 2004 4:43 PM

I just watched it on cable a few weeks ago, and I have to agree - it somewhat sucked. I seriously don't get what the hype is all about.

Posted by: Christine at March 11, 2004 12:23 PM

ok, i just HAD to comment on this (even though it's a few days after the fact...), but i didn't like the movie either. nor had i ever seen it, until christmas of 2002 when i got the dvd pack of it for my best friend. godfather 1&2 are her most favorite movies ever, and she was appauled she i wasn't very enthusiatic about it. but i seroiusly don't see the appeal. it just wasn't good.

Posted by: Judy at March 11, 2004 8:19 PM