April 1, 2004

Made Me Go Hmmmm

Why is it that animals look humans in the eyes?

Think about it. Humans do it because its polite but animals don't really have a reason. Why not the mouth? Its what makes the noise and its the one part of the face that moves. Why not a leg or an arm? What is so inherently special about the eyes?

Posted by Chris at April 1, 2004 11:38 AM
Comments

HA! I have the cutest picture to post about that topic. Sort of. I'll do that later. :)

I think it's because it's their defense. I've heard that when a dog is false, you should't look him in the eyes. He'll see that as a challenge. Animals look eachother in the eyes too.

Posted by: Sweety at April 1, 2004 11:44 AM

Don't some animals communicate that way, in addition to body language? I don't know for sure, just seems like I may have heard something like that on Animal Planet at some point, but I obviously wasn't paying enough attention for it to stick....

Posted by: Beth at April 1, 2004 11:45 AM

i believe it is because the eyes reveal excitement;
if you see an animal as food,
that animal will recognize this in your eyes...

Posted by: stacy at April 1, 2004 11:48 AM

maybe animals just think your a total hottie?!

Posted by: Ro at April 1, 2004 11:54 AM

some humans just have really pretty eyes.

Posted by: Marie at April 1, 2004 12:14 PM

I remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with them telling if you are afraid or not. Fear is seen in the eyes.

Posted by: T at April 1, 2004 12:25 PM

I think it's because the eyes are the window to the soul. I believe animals can see spirits, so why not deep into your soul too? :) My dog knows me waaayyy too well. I think it's cuz he knows what my heart is saying before I do :)

Posted by: Ann at April 1, 2004 1:55 PM

Does your cat, perhaps, do this to you? My cat will stare and STARE [unblinking] into my eyes... she will be frozen in her tracks doing this. Like a stare-down: *first one to blink or look away is the loser*. To me, it seems agressive on her part... she may be trying to get me to back down and kneel down before her as the cat goddess or something. [no joke]

Posted by: Dee at April 1, 2004 2:45 PM

I would have to agree with Dee. While it may not be an overtly agressive action, I believe alot of time it is one way they use to gauge or test their "station" (especially with dogs). I have had a few stare down sessions with Frodo (our beagle) and I have noticed that usually he will end up "bowing" his head and then coming up to lick my hand or something (which can be a sign of submission).

Posted by: gesikah at April 2, 2004 11:15 AM

maybe animals have this sense that they are just naturally drawn to eyes. I think its the same way with humans too. Maybe we THINK it's being polite but could it be that its stamped out in our genes to do this too? I also like what Ann said about it being the window to your soul.

Posted by: Maureen at April 2, 2004 1:05 PM