April 12, 2004

Rain...and Pixel

I don't know about the weather where you are but its crappy here. Really crappy. Like people from Seattle would be throwing themselves from the top of the tallest Starbucks. Anyone suffering from weather like this needs a heavy dose of cuteness.

Pixel here's hard to snap a picture of. Its mainly because he's black. Sure, you say. Play the race card. But its true. I snap a picture of him, check it out and because he's so dark, he looks like a faceless blob of black hair. Imagine my surprise when I accidentally snapped this one.

Pix is an interesting cat. When Beth and I were in college, we moved into an apartment together. During a terrible icy winter (I'm not overstating it here - my college was closed for a week and we literally skated around our college town for another week after that) six months after we moved in, he showed up. We could see his ribs, he was losing hair and was a mess. If you look you can see the notch missing from his ear. We figure the other guy must've been a complete wreck. Anyway, as it turned out, the people who lived in our apartment before us packed up the last of their stuff, they just kicked him out and left.

He's now a healthy 18 pounds (and believe it or not, because he's got a significant amount of wild cat in him and is just huge, that really is healthy for him) and has a pretty good life. But I'm convinced he's more dog than cat. He comes when you call him, walks beside me everywhere I go and sits at my feet when I'm eating.

One last bit of Pixel trivia for those who might be wondering. He's named after an astonishingly talented cat from the novel The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert Heinlein.

Posted by Chris at April 12, 2004 7:45 PM
Comments

Being that we're only about an hour and a half apart, I bet you can guess what the weather's like here in Richmond too. Doesn't do much for the mood.

Posted by: Dana at April 12, 2004 7:53 PM

It's been gorgeously sunny the last few days but just now we appear to be getting the beginning of a thunderstorm, which I'm also fairly happy about. As long as the weather does it with enthuasiasm, I'm ok. Also, I'm listening to Charlotte Church sing "Pie Jesu" and it just seems to fit.

Posted by: Heather at April 12, 2004 7:56 PM

it's always tricky catching a black cat on "film" though you can usually play w/the saturation/brightness to show more of them ;) and pix is a fine looking kitty indeed!!

Posted by: lilly at April 12, 2004 8:14 PM

Being in the same weather pattern here and also being the owner of a black cat... I can't remember where I was going with this. Great cat - lousy weather!

Posted by: Empress at April 12, 2004 8:37 PM

I always hated cats until my son begged for one, and since I was divorcing his dad, my guilt made me get him one. I have two now and I am TOTALLY a cat person. they are amazing creatures once you take the time to get to know them. I wish I could photograph mine as well as you do yours.

Posted by: Zoot at April 12, 2004 10:58 PM

We have the same weather in CT, it's going to rain untill Friday morning! I believe the dog in a catsuit, because my roommate's cat is the same way!

Posted by: Oliquig at April 13, 2004 12:34 AM

We had beautiful weather yesterday, but it's raining today :(

I like the picture! Pixel seems like a cat with caracter.

Simba is a bit like what you descripe. He comes when I call, follows me around the house. But he doesn't sit at my feet when I eat, he tries to sit on the plate.

Posted by: Sweety at April 13, 2004 3:16 AM

So *that's* where the name Pixel comes from. Another guy I know has a cat named Pixel, and I thought he was just dorking out (like, you know, screen pixels...). Turns out it actually comes from someplace.

This sounds like a book I will have to read.

Also, word on the sucky weather. Damn 45-degree rainy days in April. Can it at least be 60 and rainy?

Posted by: Dawnie at April 13, 2004 3:56 AM

How funny Chris...you have a cat who is more like a dog...and I have a dog who acts more like a cat...

If Roxy wants affection then she is affectionate back. If you give her affection and she isn't in the mood...she leaves...she is very self centered for a dog....sometimes she wants to snuggle sometimes she doesn't want to. The only things she always wants to do is eat and go for walks...which I guess are the only things that make her a dog.

Sorry for the long comment...but I am sewing my oats so to speak...badgroove.com is on a dead server and is unreachable right now...but worry not...hopefully it will be

Posted by: Amy at April 13, 2004 11:49 AM

Great picture of the cat. And he is really a pretty cat.

The name is Great. I have a friend who named her cat after another fictional character - Frodo. And he was black, too.

Posted by: cassie-b at April 13, 2004 4:16 PM

I love that book, but you already knew that. :-)

Posted by: Casey at April 13, 2004 4:23 PM

Whoa Cactus. I am not trying to be a copy-cat here, but I think I HAVE a copy-cat here. Before I read this post I just posted pics of my cat Booger, who looks just like your Pixel, ear-notch and all. Pix sounds like a much sweeter version of my yard-panther...who, by the way,is currently soaked and putting muddy pawprints on my dresser after being out in that crappy weather you mentioned.

Posted by: Geezitron at April 14, 2004 12:09 AM