May 29, 2004

Wobegon

I remember as a kid, we used to take road trips a lot. My parents would bundle me into a car and we'd drive from Texas to Wyoming or California. I loved it, actually. We always had a lot of fun. We'd bring books and my mom would read them outloud to us, although, since she got car sick rather easily, she'd have to lie down in the backseat while she read. If there was ever a part that I didn't like, it was when my dad would flip on the radio and turn on Garrison Keillor and his Prarie Home Companion. Maybe I was too young to appreciate it.

That's why I've been surprised that I've started tuning into NPR over the past couple years to listen to the show. Even more surprising is that we went to the show last night.

If you're not from around here, you won't know much about Wolf Trap, the only national park for the performing arts. Nestled in the suburbs of Virginia, its large wood structure and rolling lawns make it seem more like a giant treehouse. Last night, cool weather prevailed and we sat on the lawn, under the moonlight and stars with the ever-present hum of the cicadas and listened to Keillor speak of Lake Wobegon.

It was a great show. He'll be broadcasting live from Wolf Trap again this evening. You can catch it on your local NPR station or listen to it live online.

Posted by Chris at May 29, 2004 11:37 AM
Comments

I'm so impressed. I have read Garrison Keillor.
Sounds like a very pleasant evening.

Isn't it funny how our parents idea of fun seeps into our lives in little dribs and drabs as we "mature".

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: cassie-b at May 29, 2004 11:52 AM

As a kid I would've likened Garrison Keillor/Prairie Home Companion to the Lawrence Welk show, as far as entertainment value and interest were concerned.

Now, Shane and I turn him on while we're working every now and then.. stopping to glance at each other grin on occasion. Finding the subtle humor and the gritty value in it, now.

As kids, we're both open to the world, and blind of it. So I equally love, and hate, maturing :)

Posted by: Tonya at May 29, 2004 1:16 PM

we saw riverdance at wolftrap last year. but we were on the grass ... and it was HOT. yeesh.

how were the cicadas? not too bad i hope.

Posted by: tj at May 29, 2004 11:08 PM

I first heard Garrison Keillor when my creative writing teacher played him in our class in high school...

Posted by: Ginny at May 30, 2004 11:48 AM

I've heard great things about Wolf Trap. I'm pretty sure Pat McGee Band has played there. I'd LOVE to see that show.

Glad you had a good time seeing Garrison Keillor.

Posted by: Joe at May 30, 2004 11:38 PM

I loooved listening to Prairie Home Companion when I was a kid. Because I am a freak. Of course, I have no idea when to catch it on NPR now, or even what my local NPR station IS.

Also, the dude that writes Velcrometer, in addition to being cool as all get out, also writes for Mr. Keillor. I think I was the youngest person he's ever met that was wickedly impressed by that.

Posted by: Dawnie at May 31, 2004 8:09 AM

if your family's tried 'em,
then you know you've satisfied 'em...

Posted by: stacy at May 31, 2004 12:46 PM

i grew up on garrison keillor and prairie home companion! cafe leboeuf...and lake wobegon, where the women are strong and the men are good looking. we took many a long car ride when i was a kid.

Posted by: rachel at May 31, 2004 2:43 PM

I love WolfTrap. So much so that my CFC contributions go to a membership there so I can get good seats. :) It's such a beautiful place to see anyone.

Posted by: Lisa at June 1, 2004 10:46 AM

Dare I admit that I like PHP...also Car Talk and All Things Considered. It's good mile-melting material on long road trips.

Posted by: geezitron at June 1, 2004 9:37 PM

I used to love going for car-rides. We'd drive for hours... drive by favorite neighborhoods, staring at beautiful houses. Or we'd go to the Cape, drive by all the dunes, enjoy a picnic supper and then drive back home. I haven't thought about those long drives inj a while - it was a family event. No purpose. Just pack the family in the car and drive.

Weird!

Love Wolf Trap - though I haven't been yet this year. I think my favorite show was Harry Connick Jr. (sigh).

Posted by: Mala at June 2, 2004 9:47 PM

Great site fatty lose weight with reductil and reductil uk

Posted by: reductil at July 9, 2004 3:02 AM