June 26, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

This morning, my wife and I went to see Michael Moore's latest - Fahrenheit 9/11. Based on the number of other folks there, Iíve got a feeling Moore will be enjoying a nice opening weekend.

Fahrenheit 9/11 is possibly the best film Moore's made. Gone is Moore's active participation in his films. Aside from a few instances in which he corners people on the street or reads the Patriot Act in front of the Capitol, Moore's rarely seen. Of course, its no more objective because of it. The sounds of 9/11 against a blank movie screen were particularly difficult to sit through. Scenes of war torn Iraq were equally disturbing. But the most disturbing? Moore's allegations. Even if only a tenth turn out to be true (though, I suspect most have some merit), we've all submitted to the most corrupt and utterly incompetent administration in our history.

I know that many of you don't share the same political views as I. I'm uber-liberal and have never made any excuses for it - and I've never held ones political affiliation against them. Its just not fair. Fahrenheit 9/11 is propaganda raised to the level of an art form. Its biased, its outspoken in its condemnation of the current administration and it goes out of its way to make Bush and the rest of the players look like idiots. So, in my humble opinion, its pretty accurate. If you reside on the other end of the political spectrum, will you like it? No. Should you see it? Definitely. In order to make decisions in life, you have to be educated. Considering the other side is imperative.

Posted by Chris at June 26, 2004 2:02 PM
Comments

Maybe I'll go see it. I don't have a strong political opinion concerning your country. I hated the first (and only) Moore movie I saw; Bowling for Colombine. I can't say I totally disagree with the Bush administration. But I'm just not informed enough to say it really sucks.

Posted by: Sweety at June 26, 2004 2:27 PM

I think I'm going to see it either Monday or Tuesday morning.

Posted by: mac at June 26, 2004 3:52 PM

I was stunned when the place was packed at 2pm on a work day, usually, it's empty. Who knows, this might be the #1 movie in the country, doubt White Chicks will do as good. I'm reading on local mailing lists people are seeing sold out signs at box offices.

Did you laugh at Britney? That was such a perfect clip, made me laugh. I was near tears during the parts you mentioned but when Lila Lipscomb lost it, I did too. I thought this film was excellent.

Posted by: Carla at June 26, 2004 4:01 PM

I took Liam to see Harry Potter today, which is far more my cup of tea.. hehe

Posted by: Cheeky Girl at June 26, 2004 4:39 PM

I don't think I'll be going to see it. I've heard too much that completely discredits Michael Moore, both politically and as a film-maker - I have no trust or respect for the man. As much as he accuses the conservatives of altering the truth to fit their agenda, I think he's just as guilty as the rest of them. I've heard him say things too many times that were just to make people angry, without telling the whole truth that fully explains the issue without inciting havoc. That just stinks of ulterior motives, and are tactics that would disqualify him from a traditional debate, if he were actually in one. You say that we should educate ourselves about other people's political ideologies - I completely agree. But propaganda never fully educates anyone on the issues, it's just there to pull on your heartstrings. A true education can only come from facts that haven't been spun, twisted, and maligned by an overtly passionate opportunist.

Posted by: Heather at June 26, 2004 4:43 PM

I will not be seeing it. I saw one Moore film, before I even knew anything about him so I consider myself fairly unbiased at that point, and I left it completely open-mouthed and disgusted. I consider Moore's work empty propaganda that lacks any educational quality - it would be similar to sitting through an entire movie of campaign commercials, for either side. The truth is stretched, molded, and taken completely out of context. It doesn't matter what angle you take on the political scene; I would never consider anything Michael Moore has done as solid evidence or information.

Plus, I just find him mean, and I hate mean people. ;)

Posted by: Laura at June 26, 2004 5:07 PM

I would like to see this movie -- but I am not a big fan of movie theaters. So when it comes out on dvd I will watch it ... W isn't getting my vote (again) so it isn't like waiting can sway my opinion.

Posted by: LOUP at June 26, 2004 5:37 PM

Sorry to post twice, but I thought I'd illustrate what I was talking about earlier. I just found another article about Michael Moore published in the New York Times, this time it's a collection of various things he's said in interviews abroad about our country and Americans as a society. As someone who has traveled abroad regularly, particularly to Europe, this just makes me want to cry.

"The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not `insurgents' or `terrorists' or `The Enemy.' They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow ó and they will win."

And this one's just great, from an interview he did with Britain's paper, The Mirror. Here's what he has to say about the average American - "They are possibly the dumbest people on the planet . . . in thrall to conniving, thieving smug [pieces of the human anatomy]. We Americans suffer from an enforced ignorance. We don't know about anything that's happening outside our country. Our stupidity is embarrassing."

He continued on that theme in Munich, saying, "That's why we're smiling all the time. You can see us coming down the street. You know, `Hey! Hi! How's it going?' We've got that big [expletive] grin on our face all the time because our brains aren't loaded down."

Posted by: Heather at June 26, 2004 10:28 PM

I'm sure I will see this movie at some point, but most likely not while it is in the theatres. While I do agree with Moore's view point, I do not agree with the manner in which he presents it. He calls his movies documentaries, but they are pure propaganda, which is unfortunate, because I believe that if he were to actually produce an unbiased film, it would prove his point just as successfully.

Posted by: Stu at June 26, 2004 11:55 PM

You and I agree on many/most political issues, I think we stand in very similar places. And in his early days I was curious about and fairly supportive of Moore and his work - I thought it was brave and important work to be bringing underlying issues out into the open to 'educate' the public. But the more I saw of him, the more critically/objectively I watched and considered his films - the more the distaste grew.

I left a comment in another journal several days ago that summed up my take on Moore, in response to an entry citing this review by Slate's Christopher Hitchens. My comment was as follows:

. . . .

"I haven't seen the film yet, but having sat through Roger and Me and Bowling For Columbine, I can already assume to agree.

Michael Moore, for all his underlying messages may be worth in awakening the world to the details that major media won't cover - lacks journalistic integrity, betrays his viewers and skews a message (and a scene) to such a degree that he willingly flirts with slander/libel.

I appreciate anyone who's got an educated, well-thought-out message, and the balls to take it to the streets in a raw, informed and responsible medium. And you don't fall much more in dissent of the current administration, and contempt for many of the injustices and corporate bafooning that Michael Moore attempts to 'show us', than I do.

But if the messenger can't be trusted or taken seriously, then the message works against itself and those of us making the effort to disperse it responsibly and ethically become undermined, even set back.

Yes, General Motors did an enormous disservice to the people of Flint, Michigan for the sake of corporate profit.

Yes, the U.S. is well known for its outrageous statistics of gun violence, its racism, fear, and asinine behavior toward one another.

Yes, the events leading up to and immediately following 9/11 are strange, suspicious and inexplicable. Yes, they're worth investigating and yes, the current administration's policies that have risen from the event, in my opinion, are destroying the fiber of this nation and the beliefs it was founded on, while millions (congress included) sit idly by.

But Michael Moore is not my messenger. It's said that if you must misrepresent or falsify your position in an argument - you haven't got one. In Michael Moore's case, it seems that the core argument itself takes back seat sensationalism and his need to be the 'hero of masses'. His objective may eventually lead to a deductive truth, but the details he presents tend to carry very little evidence of it within them."

. . . .

Posted by: Tonya at June 27, 2004 12:47 AM

I will see it. I am moderate in my politics, and find MM pretty obnoxious. Yes his film making borders on propaganda, but that doesn't phase me. I can do a little research to filter through it, and he always gives plenty of food for thought.

Posted by: Sheryl at June 27, 2004 3:42 PM

Up with the uber-liberals! Liberalism requires humility, which is why a lot of people never make it over to this side.

Posted by: Casey at June 27, 2004 11:54 PM

You said uber and liberal. . in the same sentence . . that's great!

Posted by: trish at June 28, 2004 1:22 AM

It was a great film. Propaganda? Yes.... but hell, everything you see on CNN, MSNBC, FoxNEWs is no better. Sometimes the truth hurts, even if it is packaged in a film such as this. Anyone that denies the fact that what Michael Moores says has validity to it is just living in ignorant bliss.

Posted by: Kimmie at June 28, 2004 9:27 AM

The movie rocked! I loved the audience's reaction afterwards. Everyone was cheering and people were saying "F*** Bush!"

Let's hope they remember their sentiment in November...

Posted by: dawn at June 28, 2004 1:47 PM

Well said, Mr. C. I've read the articles that some of your previous commenters here have referred to, but it still makes me want to see it for myself.

Posted by: Zandria at June 28, 2004 3:29 PM

I definately plan to see it! I am uber-liberal myself and a huge Michael Moore fan. I know a couple of republicans who have gone to see it. Of course, they don't agree with all that was said in the movie, but they at least went to the movie. I was very impressed by that alone.

Posted by: Nicole at June 28, 2004 10:11 PM

I have a personal experience with Michael Moore to share, lest anyone take one word he says as truth...I work with the Texas Attorney General's office, and a while back, Michael Moore and his group contacted us in respect to an execution that was scheduled to take place. They came out, interviewed many of us, and left (we thought). The day of the actual execution arrived, and it was nothing short of a circus. Moore's group had hired extras to sit outside the facility in lawn chairs, eating barbecue, drinking beer, and cheering on the proceedings. There were cheerleaders, a scoreboard, and football jerseys with the name of the man being put to death, all supplied by Moore and his cronies. Because that's how much fun we have with the death penalty here in Texas, ya'll. It's a damn party. Ironically, this was for Moore's Bravo show, The Awful Truth. The man doesn't even know the definition of the word.

Posted by: Julie at June 29, 2004 2:03 PM

**In order to make decisions in life, you have to be educated. Considering the other side is imperative.**

Indeed! There are too many people who form opinions before exploring all angles of an issue. Michael Moore, although his opinions are not shared by many, is thorough and that is respectable. I was so shocked after reading "Dude, Where's My Country". His research was well documented in the bibliography and that was the most alarming of the book.
Can't wait to see the new movie. Sounds like an eye opener.

Posted by: Geezitron at June 30, 2004 12:00 AM

Michael Moore had never made a good movie and never will. Moore only has one side of the story in Fahrenheit 9/11. Moore is a queer bag of rocks just waiting to get tossed.

Posted by: fuckmoore at October 21, 2004 12:32 PM