June 29, 2004

Freebird!

Tonight I'm going to Wolf Trap, one of the coolest venues ever, to see Ben Folds, Guster and Rufus Wainwright. One concertgoing curiosity I've always had - who is that dude that always screams "Freebird" between songs? Is it one guy who does nothing but travel from place to place, turning up at concerts all over the world? Or is there some type of "Freebird" representation system where one person is chosen for each show? I mean, look, everyone at concerts claps, some scream and there are usually a bunch of people holding lighters above their heads... but there's only one poor bastard who screams "Freebird" at the top of his lungs on any given night. I've made a decision - tonight is my night. I'm going to be the "Freebird" guy.

Posted by Chris at June 29, 2004 3:06 PM
Comments

I love Ben Folds, I'm intensly jealous.

Posted by: Oliquig at June 29, 2004 3:29 PM

guster!!!!

Posted by: laura at June 29, 2004 3:32 PM

*sigh* i love guster. i'm trying to get my boyfriend into them, because he loves better than ezra and i feel they're kind of similar. i saw guster at 9:30 club once. great show.

as for "freebird," i don't know, but i hear it sometimes. i wonder if any band has been like, "okay, someone yelled for 'freebird,' let's play it" and just busted out with "freebird" right there.

Posted by: rachel at June 29, 2004 3:37 PM

When I saw the Allman Bros in 99, we had a "Whipping Post" guy who screamed it between every song. They did NOT play it (I was glad, kinda cliche), but even 45 minutes after the last song, when the crowd as at least half gone, dude was still screaming
"WHIPPING POST! WHIPPING POST!"

Yeah. I was wishing for the Freebird guy that night. Oh - and I'm in Alabama, so can you imagine how many "Freebird" guys we have here? And can you imagine how many times the band WILL play Freebird? Yeah - its obscene. I hate that damn song now.

Jeez. Long ass comment Zoot - shut the hell up already.

Posted by: Zoot at June 29, 2004 3:54 PM

Hate, hate, HATE you. First Gary K, and now Ben Folds? Who I loave so? While I'm at home fighting multiple infections and watching a bazillion episodes of M*A*S*H?

Karmic anvils, I swear.

Posted by: amalah at June 29, 2004 3:54 PM

I don't think there is a Freebird system. I think it just magically works itself out.

Posted by: Fraulein N at June 29, 2004 4:05 PM

heh I have a friend who always shouts out "Play some Skynyrd" whenever he sees a live band.

But I do it right back to him, when he's up there, so it evens out.

Posted by: pie at June 29, 2004 4:06 PM

I'll be there too, so if you are the Freebird guy tonight, I'll know who to look for and give the evil eye! I'm looking forward to the show, most definitely. And my daughter hates me because I'm going, and she's babysitting her brother.

Posted by: Lisa at June 29, 2004 4:12 PM

Yours is the second blog I've read this on, I can't remember who else is going, I'll have to think where I saw that (and it's not the Lisa above). Have fun! We call Rufus "Wufus Wainwite" here, it's mildly amusing to say.

Posted by: Busy Mom at June 29, 2004 5:01 PM

very very jealous... no one i know wanted to go with me to boston to see them... i know i could have gone by myself, which i have done in the past, but going alone as well as the steep price of the tickets (although probably value for money) means that i will have to liuve vicariously through good people like yourself.

Posted by: chlamygirl at June 29, 2004 5:34 PM

Guster rocks!
Have a good one!
Dew

Posted by: dewnut at June 29, 2004 7:01 PM

Please, whatever you do, DON'T be that guy.

Posted by: Kristi at June 29, 2004 8:25 PM

Curiously enough, I think the "Freebird Guy" was at a KMFDM concert I went to years ago. I think he must have confused his venues and,judging by the look on peoples faces, was about to regret that mistake.

Posted by: Geezitron at June 29, 2004 11:21 PM

Hey...that "freebird" guy frequents shows in CA and NV I can personally vouch for it. Damn that guy gets around.

Posted by: Amy at June 29, 2004 11:46 PM

you lucky lucky boy! Can I ride along?

Posted by: Amber at June 30, 2004 7:18 AM

alright alright I'll admit it. It's me. I'm the freebird gal. Sure the voice seems deep in the concert hall -that's the acoustics.

NOT! LOL. Maybe they are yelling it 'cause some band gave in and played it once at some concert they were at. Who knows why crazy people do things?

Posted by: HR Lady at June 30, 2004 8:48 AM

I've heard good things about Guster, but have never seen or heard them. I'm jealous.

Also, I've never been at a show where someone screams "Freebird." Kids these days, eh?

Posted by: Dawnie at June 30, 2004 9:01 AM

I do not know if you trust me, hence, I will revalue your fantastic notes connecting to this good post. Before this I did use the help at freelance writers .

Posted by: bg35Lucy at January 6, 2010 1:29 AM

We think, you could take the article submission for your story close to this post, because that seems to be really superb and has not to be hidden from all people!

Posted by: fqKristin at January 27, 2010 2:28 AM