June 9, 2004

Memorialize This

Please don't think me crass but I heard disturbing things on the news last night about the freaks individuals who'd like nothing more than to drink the Reagan Revolution flavored Kool Aid preserve Ronald Reagan's "legacy." These are the same folks who managed to get the name of Washington's airport changed to, get this, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Not only did they get Congress to change the name but they managed to get subway service funding witheld until all the name changes were made on Metro documentation. And now? Now they want The Gipper on the ten dollar bill. Fail that, half of the dimes minted. Oh, and they want a Reagan memorial on the Mall. I mean this with all due respect but there are a few folks I'd like to see memorialized first.

Posted by Chris at June 9, 2004 11:43 AM
Comments

yeah, so...my father is involved with that. well. not really. he's a die-hard democrat, but he thinks it's funny to mess with their heads, so occasionally he'll e-mail them with some outlandish plan like, we should rename a building in every county in america after reagan, or we should put reagan on every currency denomination. so far they have not responded. i wonder why?

Posted by: rachel at June 9, 2004 12:02 PM

erik and i were talking about this last night and i agree with you....or at least replace someone bizarre like ben franklin or ulysses s. grant with him. i'd like to see someone like roosevelt on there first. i think they also make those limited edition commemorative bills as well, so we'll just slap him on the $5,000 bill. :)

Posted by: beck at June 9, 2004 12:23 PM

Where exactly on the mall do they want to put this memorial? Because I was pretty sure they had run out of room down there. Maybe they'll just try to tear down the Hirshhorn or something. You have to figure, most die hard Republicans would probably rather see a memorial to Reagan than sculpture anyway.

And I still refuse to call it Reagan National, no matter how many times the air marshalls try to get me to.

Posted by: Kerry at June 9, 2004 1:27 PM

The bottom line is, it's not worth huffing about, because they'll never get the majority of what they want done. So why get angry about it? When it took 60 years to get the World War II Memorial done, do you really think a tiny bunch of Republicans are going to get a memorial to Reagan up any time soon? So let them ask for what they want, that's democracy in action. It won't happen in the near future because of all the hoops they have to jump through, but they at least have the right to ask.
And for the record, FDR is already on currency. He's been memorialized a coin that's probably in your pocket right now. I don't really care if Reagan's on my $10 dollar bill. Do you have any idea why Alexander Hamilton's on a bill? Why Ulysses S. Grant? Because his breath always smelled like alcohol? It's not really going to affect my personal freedom if Reagan's on my money, so eh, I don't really care. The hubbub about all this will subside soon enough, people are just emotional cause he died. Give them their moment, cause it's not going to last all that long.

Posted by: Heather at June 9, 2004 1:37 PM

Doubt it will happen

Posted by: Tek at June 9, 2004 1:41 PM

My thoughts are, why did it take him dying for them do want to do this? Did he not mean so much when he was living but has gone up in value since his death? Why does it take someone dying in order for us to want to recognize their life? Their accomplishments and contributions to society shouldn't be worth more or less depending on whether they have bit the big one or not. I didn't really give a crap when he was here, and I still don't give a crap now. He had his good points and he had his bad points, let's move on already America!

Posted by: myllissa at June 9, 2004 4:59 PM

someone wanted to add him to mount rushmore
while he was still alive...

i think, really,
the $500 bill would be appropiate--
people who most benefitted from his tenure
will be the ones who see him most often...

i think they should name the
Senate Office Building
pneumatic message system after him
yeah,
SOB,
hot air,
sucks...
you see the connection...

Posted by: stacy at June 9, 2004 6:47 PM

I'm with you. Hey, you know what I've never noticed on my currency? Real women. Except for the two basically non-existant and rarely used coin dollars, there're no woman. Frankly, I'd like to see Eleanor Roosevelt on the $10 bill.

Posted by: Del at June 9, 2004 7:58 PM

Like Who and for what? (just curious! lol)

Posted by: Darren at June 10, 2004 1:24 AM

I might agree to a Reagan memorial on the Mall ... right after I see one memorializing all the people who died from AIDS because he refused to acknowledge it as an epidemic and refused to provide funding for research and education. Now that is a memorial I'd like to see.

Posted by: keepergirl at June 10, 2004 1:45 PM

That's just asinine. I think some of the other commenters are correct, it'll never happen, at least not for a LONG ass time. Have people forgotten that little Iran-Contra affair or Reaganomics? I'm steering clear of the district tomorrow, last night was bad enough.

Posted by: Heather at June 10, 2004 2:41 PM

Damn, you got some bitter commenters here. Sad.

Posted by: Laura at June 11, 2004 11:39 AM

Great site fatty lose weight with reductil and reductil uk

Posted by: reductil uk at July 9, 2004 1:19 AM