June 17, 2004

Say What You Feel

I work with a woman who is extraordinarily outspoken...which is a nice way of saying she doesn't know when to shut up or be tactful. When discussing a client in a meeting earlier, she said:

Someone needs to put a helmet on that guy and get him on the short bus.

While true, there's a time and a place for everything. As I was leading this meeting, I probably should have confronted her about it...but I was too busy trying not to nose my coffee.

Posted by Chris at June 17, 2004 1:20 PM
Comments

Haha! Glad to see that my post was an inspiration to the famously wonderful Cactus-website today. :) Very good example of being too outspoken.

Posted by: Zandria at June 17, 2004 1:38 PM

That's nothing. My outspoken co-worker is alot worse, but in a good way. :) She's the entertainment and sanity around here, I turned down a job because I'd miss her. Hehe.

Posted by: carla at June 17, 2004 1:40 PM

Ohmygosh, my coworker, MS. Crass! is terrible. I can't even say aloud some of the things she says. Let's just say I know WAY too much about her gross sex life (gross being my own judgement...yeah, I judged. what?). And she frequently runs around dropping f-bombs all over the floor in front of important clients and inviting other clients (no less important) to her "ragin' keggers". eww.

Posted by: GranolaSpice at June 17, 2004 2:01 PM

i suspect the reason i did not receive
and assistantship
was my habit of asking profs
"Is there a hyphen in anal-retentive?"

am i outspoken?

but not very often...

Posted by: stacy at June 17, 2004 2:07 PM

You could tell her that you have a friend whose son rides the short bus. But he doesn't wear a helmet. ;)

Posted by: Martha at June 17, 2004 2:29 PM

Bwahahahahaha!! Well you have to admit though, those are the FUN meetings :)

Posted by: Sweety at June 17, 2004 3:02 PM

I have one of those. I thank god that I got on her shit list this week so now she is talking extraneously to everyone but me. But probably about me...meh, fair trade.

Posted by: myllissa at June 17, 2004 5:31 PM

I can actually see you trying to strategically bury your face in your cup .... partly because I have had to do the same thing. She said something about someone being a bitch and I reminded her that all of her possible candidates for hire in her dept. had to be OK'd through me. "I think I happen to be the bitch you were talking about. In case you might have wondered." I said. Out loud. I am getting closer and closer to firing her silly ass.

Posted by: Kymmie at June 17, 2004 6:04 PM

Man, there's nothing worse than wanting to laugh but needing to be a Responsible Adult and admonish someone for making a joke that you probably would have at least thought about if you were them.

Damn Responsible Adultness.

Posted by: Dawnie at June 18, 2004 8:46 AM

I too am missing that part of my brain (among others) that stops a thought from becoming a phrase. I am available for parties and meetings.
Will Blurt for iTunes.

Posted by: LOUP at June 18, 2004 9:24 AM

I , too , often find that the valve between my brain and mouth gets stuck open at times. Even when I am trying to be tactful and think I'm in responsible-adult-mode I feel people staring at me as if there are antlers sprouting from my forehead. Perhaps I am "outspoken" and nobody has called me on it yet. Blogs are a good outlet for this condition!

Posted by: Geezitron at June 20, 2004 11:47 PM