July 21, 2004

Little Mysteries

My mind works overtime, most of the time. Sadly this included last night, while I was trying to fall asleep (not so successful, if you're wondering). Once again, I came up with a million ideas for entries, none of which I can remember, of course. But I did remember that I wanted to post this...something about little mysteries and perspective that I very much like.

One picture puzzle piece
Lyin' on the sidewalk,
One picture puzzle piece
Soakin' in the rain.
It might be a button of blue
On the coat of the woman
Who lived in a shoe.
It might be a magical bean,
Or a fold in the red
Velvet robe of a queen.
It might be the one little bite
Of the apple her stepmother
Gave to Snow White.
It might be the veil of a bride
Or a bottle with some evil genie inside.
It might be a small tuft of hair
On the big bouncy belly
Of Bobo the Bear.
It might be a bit of the cloak
Of the Witch of the West
As she melted to smoke.
It might be a shadowy trace
Of a tear that runs down an angel's face.
Nothing has more possibilities
Than one old wet picture puzzle piece.

Its not mine...its his.

Posted by Chris at July 21, 2004 10:43 AM
Comments

I think that it all comes back to something we once read by Shel Silverstein. :) Thanks!

Posted by: GranolaSpice at July 21, 2004 11:09 AM

True. Shel Silverstein is as natural as an occurrence as air. However, if it were not that, I would recommend a very special episode of Dr. Phil for you.

Posted by: Kymmie at July 21, 2004 11:58 AM

Oh I had forgot about Shel Silverstein. Thanks for the reminder...

Posted by: Sweet N Sassy at July 21, 2004 12:45 PM

I had a dream last night that Mr. and Mrs. Cactus were renting my parent's house until they could save up a down payment, and I was still living there for some reason. And it was all fun and games until Mrs. Cactus tried to feed me lime-sized wasabi peas, and well, things went downhill after that. I tried to have them evicted, but soon found out my parent's had signed the title over to the Cacti without telling me. Then Mr. and Mrs. Cactus pretty much kicked me out. Thanks for making me homeless.

Posted by: Smartjuice at July 21, 2004 1:16 PM

I cant remember if I've asked you this before, but have you ever heard him read/sing his own stuff? I used to have an album (lost in the divorce) with him reading and singing his writing. It was the most awesome thing ever. I loved him with all my heart. Thanks for making me smile today.

Posted by: Zoot at July 21, 2004 1:23 PM

Thanks! I love Shel Silverstein.

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 21, 2004 1:24 PM

i think it's the big bouncy belly of bobo the bear. but that's just me.

Posted by: tj at July 21, 2004 1:33 PM

is it blasphemous to say that i had never heard of shel silverstein before you mentioned him? after reading about him and looking at his illos and books i will definitely be buying them for my niece. thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: chlamygirl at July 21, 2004 2:03 PM

I wonder if that's where Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too eneded up...

Posted by: Lee at July 21, 2004 2:28 PM

oh, how i luh-ve shel silverstein. My kindergarten teacher read to us from 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' and so that was my present from my parents when I finished kindergarten! I loved the unicorn poem, and used to just sit there and giggle and read. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Cactus!

Posted by: samantha at July 21, 2004 3:05 PM

Ah yes, Shel Silverstein. Gotta love a man who can purposefully hide sexual innuendo in children's literature and somehow get away with it. Ha ha. :)

Posted by: Heather at July 21, 2004 3:08 PM

Oh my god, ever since I clicked the link to that site, I've been watching the animations! Too cute! Thanks!

Posted by: Sweety at July 21, 2004 3:37 PM

Ahh! I adore Shel Silverstein. My parents didn't really read to us much of his stuff but my brother right now is planning on educating his newborn with Mr. Silverstein's writing. Haha. Oh course I'm the one that will be expected to read it to lil' Nathanial but it's all good.

Posted by: Maureen at July 21, 2004 7:50 PM