July 30, 2004

Slacking...And Barry

SLACKER'S LOG...SLACKDATE: WHO CARES?

As it turns out, I haven't forgotten how to completely and utterly slack. Okay, so I have been working a little bit and I was doing a little bit of design work earlier, trying to capture some ideas for a new banner and stuff. Other than that? Nothing.

Here's my question - do you think its totally wrong that I'm really amused by the idea of going to a Barry Manilow concert? It would be so deeply and insanely unhip that it may actually have a high potential hip factor. Three words: Drunken. Singalong. Mandy.

I'm off to slack a little more. My ass is back by the way. Thanks to all of you who expressed concern. You can take down the 'missing' signs and out away your ass detectors.

Posted by Chris at July 30, 2004 3:44 PM
Comments

Woh, hey...easy with the Manilow knowledge...you wouldn't want to give people the wrong idea would ya? jk

Posted by: Mike at July 30, 2004 3:57 PM

I'm with Mike. You can sing along with Barry? Even I don't know all the words to those songs! Well, not that I'd ever admit. On a public forum, no less!

Posted by: Beth at July 30, 2004 4:19 PM

...well you came and you gave without takin', but I sent you away ohhhh Mandy...

Posted by: Tonya at July 30, 2004 4:21 PM

If you would have written "Drunken. Sinalong. Copacabana." - Then I would have raised my glass to your hipness.

But now??? Freak.

Posted by: Lee at July 30, 2004 4:42 PM

If you must go to a Barry concert, you must wear a t-shirt that says "I HEART BARRY BUT ONLY IRONICALLY." Then you can be hip.

Also, go drunk or totally stoned.

Posted by: Amalah at July 30, 2004 4:43 PM

ok...and 2, I so loathe you for making me Google "barry" to discover that I am in desparate need of THIS ALBUM (Manilow sings Sinatra)

Posted by: Lee at July 30, 2004 4:47 PM

"When will our eyes meeeeeeeet/When can I touch yoooooooouuuuuuuu/When will this strong yearning eeeeeeeeeeeeend/And when will I hold yooooou a-gaaaaaaaaaaiiiiin."

That would be "Time in New England," for those not in the know.

Posted by: Michelle at July 30, 2004 5:15 PM

a couple years ago barry sang at the boston july 4th celebrations. it was so dorky it was cool.. people got up to dance to copacabana and the lighters came out for mandy. i think you should take up amalah's suggestion and get that t-shirt made up.

Posted by: chlamygirl at July 30, 2004 5:34 PM

Hmm sadly I have no Manilow comments. Well one time I saw him on that Ryan Seacrest show but all I got from that was that he had some really funkay hair. I didn't even keep the channel on when he was singing. Feel kinda bad now. Ah well.

Posted by: Maureen at July 30, 2004 6:15 PM

I'd go see Barry in a heartbeat. And if that makes me uncool...well, okay. So it probably does make me uncool. But I'm a big geek and have learned to love that about myself. Embrace your geekness!!

Posted by: Kaffy at July 30, 2004 6:43 PM

LOL. As long as you don't sing Mandy as badly as that poor kid on the last American Idol...errr...what was his name??? I think a drunken night out with Manilow would be tres fun! ;)

Posted by: groovebunny at July 30, 2004 7:32 PM

Oh. MY. GOD. I am the biggest Fanilow EVER! He's the Guy Who Writes the Songs!! If you go tell him I say hello. He'll know who I am because we're BFF. I have the shirt amalah was talking about, but don't get the 'ironically' part... why would you want to do that?

Posted by: bmh at July 30, 2004 7:45 PM

The only song I will sing during drunken karaoke is "Copa Cabana." The last time that little number was trotted out was at a dive bar in Colorado Springs. I think.

Posted by: Mindy at July 30, 2004 9:44 PM

All I have to say or excuse me ask is why was I not invited along?

Posted by: Sweet N Sassy at July 30, 2004 9:53 PM

What's better that swooning over Barry Manilow live in concert...jammin to BM Midi's on laptop sepakers of course!

Posted by: Geezitron at July 31, 2004 12:25 AM

The chesse factor + potential blog stories from attending the concert are too great to pass up..drunken sing-alongs are a must.

Posted by: Pratt at July 31, 2004 1:03 AM

Oh My God. Barry Manilow. You HAVE to go. And take me with you. I have inherited and unholy and slightly embarrassing love for the man's music from my mother.

Posted by: Dawnie at July 31, 2004 7:25 AM

I guess now would be a good time to confess that ..... I own the recently purchased Greatest Hits by Barry Manilow, wouldn't it? And that from the time I was 7 I could sing the words to his songs. Barry helped me survive the horrible radio and TV programming that were available when I lived in Munich, Germany as a child.

Also. I,um, sorta, um, met him. While shopping. He left the shop on Melrose Blvd in LA I was in, I recognized him and FOLLOWED HIM to make sure I wasn't hullucinating. Of course I was too cool to ask for an autograph, but I walked up, said hello and said how much I enjoyed his music. He said thank you, and then I walked off.

I like me some Barry Manilow music. I even have vulgar versions of a few of his songs.... including Copacabana.

Go Chris. I'm jealous as shit.

Posted by: Scarlett Cyn at July 31, 2004 2:53 PM

Some embarrassing Barry Factoids I know:
1. Mandy was really written for his dog Brandy, but the song Brandy came out first...you know the one, about the sailors?

2. He was Bette Midlers piano player in the Bath Houses in NYC in the beginning of her career! So I know he can be raunchy when he wants to.

3. He has done more commerical jingles and that is why he is really so rich!

And I have to admit, I have seen him in concert ~ danced ~ sang out loud along with him! Although I kinda stuck out in the crowd wearing my leather and all! He is a great showman, you should go for the story! LOL This coming from a girl who thinks God is David Bowie! Sigh

Posted by: Gypsy at August 1, 2004 1:48 PM