August 10, 2004

A.M. TMI 2

The earlier post about Ms. TMI got me thinking about another recent run in. I figured I'd share.

Her: Have you seen the list?
Me: The list?
Her: You know...the list.
Me: Don't know what you're getting at.
Her: Supposedly there's this list floating around about the girls on the team.
Me: Still not following you.
Her: It ranks the ones that are the most doable.
Me: Okay.
Her: I figured you'd know.
Me: Uh, no. Can't say that I do. But out of curiosity, what did you want with this list?
Her: I just wanted to make sure I was in the top ten.

For the record, there is, to my knowledge, no list. If there was, I'd certainly stay the hell away from it.

Posted by Chris at August 10, 2004 6:20 PM
Comments

I smell a sexual harassment lawsuit just around the corner! Did you know that more and more, men are suing for having been sexually harassed by women in their office? It's quite interesting, you know.

But holy crap, sounds like that lady has "issues." Oh, and not to mention a major crush on you, since she keeps bringing up such things around you.

Posted by: Heather at August 10, 2004 6:24 PM

Where exactly do they find these people? And how do they get hired? I can't imagine them making it through an interview.

Posted by: Kerry at August 10, 2004 6:25 PM

I think I have to agree with Heather on this one. It sounds like she may trying to get you to think of her a certain way. But yes definitely if it makes you uncomfortable, the best thing might be to let her know that you don't want her mentioning such things around you. If she persists then you def have a case on your hand. The other issue is that if she's talking to more than just you like that, she's also putting the company at risk of being sued.

Posted by: groovebunny at August 10, 2004 6:35 PM

Why did she think you'd know? Because you're male?

Posted by: Sheryl at August 10, 2004 8:22 PM

Very classy.

Posted by: Mala at August 10, 2004 8:30 PM

After her last line you should have said "Oh THAT list, yah I've seen it ... you're not on it."

Posted by: LOUP at August 10, 2004 8:55 PM

Do you have any openings?

Posted by: Genuine at August 10, 2004 9:01 PM

Another voice in agreement with Heather. Sounds like Ms. TMI has a lil thing for the Cactus...

Posted by: Amanda at August 10, 2004 9:14 PM

This is..definatly not the type of work enviroment I would like to be in. ::dreading the future::

Posted by: Maureen at August 10, 2004 10:46 PM

Sign me up with the others -- she wants the little cactus. Beth's gotta be just cracking up (in a fun, healthy way, of course) ;)

Posted by: Michelle at August 10, 2004 10:58 PM

You thought MY stories were bad! *Grin*

Mr. Cactus RUN! Run far and fast, run away from that Freaky Woman! And don't let Beth meet her, or we may have to bail her out of jail! I will send cash if you need to bail Beth out! : ) We can send character letters on her behalf!

Posted by: Gypsy at August 10, 2004 11:26 PM

I heard rumors of such a list back when I was in college. You mean it's still around? (the rumor, that is)

Posted by: BillH at August 10, 2004 11:42 PM

wow. i tell you what...wow.

this conversation was weird, but the shower one was crossing a line. however, she may just be one of those socially inept people who doesn't know when she's crossing that line. just steer clear.

p.s. "whatever, freakshow" is possibly my favorite put-down line ever. thanks for using it.

Posted by: rachel at August 11, 2004 1:11 AM

Put me on the "list" of those who think she's after a little cactus playtime. Beware. ;)

Posted by: Tjej at August 11, 2004 3:50 AM

OMG! What a freak.

And what Genuine said!! Too funny :)))

Posted by: Sweety at August 11, 2004 7:33 AM

Sigh.

To be honest, that she's talking to you about these things may mean she is, in fact, just socially inept. You'd have to actually SAY something about how this made you feel to have a case. And she might be totally confused by it.

In my Crap Job From Hell, I had guys talking about my body behind my back, pulling my shirt away from my tshirt underneath to get a better look at my chest, and finally one guy smacked my ass.

My foot placed between his legs, telling him what to expect if he ever did that again put a stop to all of it. I could have sued, but since he lived with his mom and also had a Crap Job, I wouldn't have gotten a ton of money from him, so what was the point?

Posted by: alektra at August 11, 2004 7:53 AM

Oh, dear God. Yeah, stay away from The List. Especially if Crazy McTMI's on it. Maybe you should just stay away from her. Is that even possible?

Posted by: Fraulein N at August 11, 2004 8:24 AM

i agree - she probably does have a little crush on our Cactus. But she also sounds just plain horny. And socially inept. Maybe she would be interested in the stripper gym concept?

Posted by: samantha at August 11, 2004 9:39 AM

Who on earth would go asking for that list, not "just out of curiosity" but because she wants to make sure she's in the top 10?!

I mean, if she isn't, what is she going to do!? Take you into the bathroom and try to convince you to GET her on the list???

Whackjob, baby. Whack. Job.

Posted by: Kim at August 11, 2004 10:03 AM

Like I said, flypaper, buddy, flypaper.

Posted by: Mike at August 11, 2004 11:40 AM

Yup, I agree with the above comments... she's got a thing for our Cactus. I actually thought this when I read the FIRST TMI post. Now I'm convinced! What a whackadoo!!

Actually, when I was waitressing back in college, there was this cook, who, in Spanish mind you, kept making verbal AND hand gestures about my erm, chest. I repeatedly asked him to stop, in English AND Spanish after realizing that ignoring him didn't work, when a couple of others joined in. I complained to the manager, who did nothing.... SO I called the corporate office to let them know that I had put up with months of this and the Mgr did NADA. Next day, guess what cook didn't show up? Yup. The Mgr got verbally reprimanded for not taking action.

Of course, in my job from hell HERE, one of the Directors, was doing even more overt things... unfortunately, there are no Sexual Harrassment rules here, AND I couldn't go to upper management, cause he was Chairman's "mini me" who could do no wrong. Nothing was beyond this snake. He made purr/growling noises about everything.... and verbally pointed out (EVEN IN FRONT OF CO-WORKERS)the body part he was admiring for the day. "MMMMMM, nice legs..." "Rowrrr, nice ankles, slim,so white, I bet it's soft too, etc... oooh and your TOES..mmmmmmmm!" (made my skin crawl) Name an obvious body part, he commentd on it. I stopped wearing skirts - which were not short really to begin with -, he walked in front of my desk, leaned all the way over to look under my desk and said "AW DAMMIT! You're wearing TROUSERS!".

I don't mind a joke or things between friends, but this crap at work. Uncalled for.

Posted by: Scarlett Cyn at August 11, 2004 12:55 PM

What interesting co-workers you have...

Posted by: ben at August 11, 2004 1:27 PM

I worked at one place that was not terribly politically correct.

I remember a girl in the office who had saved up for a boob job. She went to ask for some vacation time - to the president of the company (it was a small office) and we all heard him say "You mean you'll come back with bigger tits? Where do I sign?!"

Posted by: ben at August 11, 2004 2:21 PM

So, is this chick hot? Would she be on the list? She sounds a little freaky-deaky.

Posted by: Strode at August 12, 2004 12:39 PM