August 5, 2004

Another Idea Shot to Hell

My wife usually signs online around 8 AM after spending a while at the gym. This morning though? 8:30 rolled around and I still hadn't seen her. So I called and she was, of course, fine. But how exactly was it that the conversation turned to combining strip clubs with gyms?

Me: Oh! They should combine strip clubs with gyms. You know - motivation plus it would probably bring in a lot of business.
Her: I don't think so.
Me: Why not?
Her: You don't want to see naked people exercising.
Me: No, thats not what I mean. Not the gym people. You have actual strippers doing their thing while people work out and stuff.
Her: Still? No. Because you really wouldn't want to see anyone who looked better than you naked while you're exercising. And if they looked worse than you, that would just be gross.
Me: I guess you're right. I wasn't thinking. Bad idea.

The day's barely begun and yet another idea has gone down the drain...

Posted by Chris at August 5, 2004 8:57 AM
Comments

I have faith..you are probably good for another 3 or 4 ideas today that will be received as warmly..

Posted by: debby at August 5, 2004 9:19 AM

What just a second! I like the idea! -- BUT -- the strippers are in cages -- dimly lit -- so that while the gym people are working out, they really have to use their powers of imagination to get the full effect ... You wouldn't want all that nakedness right out there in the glaring gym lights -- no no no -- maybe the cages in each corner -- Oh yes, I like this idea... I'll have to start bringing one dollar bills with me to the gym! :-)

Posted by: bob at August 5, 2004 9:55 AM

I think I read somewhere that they're already doing that...? Somewhere in Los Angeles, I think. Of course.

Posted by: Tara at August 5, 2004 10:08 AM

(hi, first time, long time)
i think it's a great idea... the strippers would be inspiration to all the people exercising. or at least that's the theory i'd go on.

Posted by: monique at August 5, 2004 10:22 AM

Wait a minute though, if they looked better than you, wouldn't that motivate to work out more. Besides, you'd want to be there more just to look at naked people.

Maybe you could have booths, where the curtain only stays open as long as your peddling your bike or running on your treadmill. The minute you stop, the curtain closes.

Posted by: Mike at August 5, 2004 10:26 AM

LOL! Your wife is one smart lady.

Posted by: Ginny at August 5, 2004 10:27 AM

Yeah ok, maybe the men would like it after all. I'm just thinking, if you put a naked person in front of me at the gym, the main thing on my mind is going to be "Hmmm, I wonder if they do lunges to keep that butt so perky."

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at August 5, 2004 11:46 AM

i like the idea of the stripper being an award for a hard work out - but really, all of us insecure ladies would just NEVER go to the gym again if there were strippers prancing around. In their stripper state, that is. Or, some of us would never start. Working out that is, not stripping.
even though the other day I offered to dance AROUND the boyfriend, who was refusing to dance. Then I realized I would be acting like a stripper. And that made want to do it even more!

Posted by: samantha at August 5, 2004 12:21 PM

We have a gym next to a restaurant in LA-- the walls are made of glass, too, so you sit at the table eating a fatty hamburger watching the sweaty fools on the treadmill. I always thought it was a funny idea, but couldn't really stomach watching them work out while I ate.

Posted by: bmh at August 5, 2004 1:00 PM

I can just hear weights being dropped all over the place now...I also used to go to a gym where there was a track around the gym floor. Imagine the traffic jams at a certain point... :)

Posted by: Sue at August 5, 2004 1:28 PM

You know, at least you would be openly accepting the obvious "meat market" aspect of the gym. Although the pretty boys who lift free-weights only when the ladies walk by might be outta luck. If there were much hotter strippers to look at. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Granola Spice at August 5, 2004 2:12 PM

You have a sick sick twisted mind :)))

Posted by: Sweety at August 5, 2004 2:42 PM

Hmmm...interesting concept. I think I'd be more accceptble of the idea if that included male strippers. Or the other option could be to just set up your gym in a nudist colony, where basically, judging the majority of bodies found in nudist colonies, the exercisers would be inspired to work out even harder just to not look like the majority of people in said nudist colony. :) Ummm...no offense to any card-carrying-nudist-colony readers of Mr. Cactus intended...;)

Posted by: groovebunny at August 5, 2004 3:03 PM