September 22, 2004

Designing Fool

A long time ago, in a previous life, I was a Web designer. Hey, get me! I can still design stuff! Amy put out the call for a little design help so I gave it a shot. Not too shabby if I do say so myself!

Now, here's the question...do I take a shot at my own site or do you guys still like the Basic Cactus design? To be quite honest with you, I'm reluctant to change much. But let me know what you think!

On a side note, what's the smallest measurement of anything ever? Because whatever it is, I have exactly .0003 of those worth of motivation today.

Posted by Chris at September 22, 2004 2:49 PM
Comments

I am a relative newbie to the rude cactus world but feel I know you intimately after your VSP (very special post). I like your site, clean easy to read and jazzy in a simple way. One suggestion...make those great photos in your header a little bigger - then maybe you can change the photos when you want a bit o change!

Posted by: Michelle at September 22, 2004 2:52 PM

I love your site as it is, but that's just me. Must be something going around with the lack of motivation EVERYWHERE today. NOBODY has it!

Posted by: debby at September 22, 2004 2:52 PM

My $0.02: Keep it as-is.

Posted by: Mel at September 22, 2004 3:11 PM

I like it as it is too but hey, change may be a nice thing. :)

Posted by: Carla at September 22, 2004 3:15 PM

Oooh great job on Amytart's site! Tres lovely! Hmmm change your site? I like it the way it is, but change is always a good thing. Much like the way changing your toothbrush every so often is a good thing. Ahem...you do change your toothbrush don't you? lol sorry...tanget day for me again.

Posted by: groovebunny at September 22, 2004 3:30 PM

i'm the wrong person to ask. i redesign as the mood hits...as you've no doubt noticed.

i say give it a few days and if you still feel the urge to redesign, go for it. i bet the mood passes. might as well save yourself the trouble...what was that you were saying about having no motivation? i can't even get up enough ooomph to be all rah-rah about a potential site design. man, that's low. :D

Posted by: patricia at September 22, 2004 3:33 PM

i love the layout of your site. one of my coworkers walked by my desk one day and had to come back and do a double take because the design caught her attention that much. she loved it...

as for myself and my own site... i get very bored very easily. i hate routine and get bored without variety. so i change layouts frequently. hrmm... now i'm getting the itch to change mine again...

Posted by: Judy at September 22, 2004 3:51 PM

I like the design. It's very clean. If it's starting to bore you, though, I say you should change it.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 22, 2004 3:55 PM

Looks quite nice! Wish I could do stuff like that.....

Posted by: JustAgirl at September 22, 2004 3:56 PM

You did a nice job.
And I'm quite happy with your page the way it is. For one, your banner rocks. And two, I like the simplicity of it. But, if you do go ahead and change it, I'm sure that would rock too.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at September 22, 2004 4:26 PM

I'm with the masses, I like it the way it is.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at September 22, 2004 4:29 PM

I like it as is, but vote for a change because I want to be awed (even more than I already am) by your designing prowess.

Posted by: bmh at September 22, 2004 4:34 PM

Personally, I want you to change it. If I still designed in MT I would offer to work on it, I don't think much change is necessary, just a few tweaks.

Posted by: goodsnake at September 22, 2004 4:35 PM

I like Classic Cactus - it's clean, simple, and yet seems to be very "You."

However! If you want to get all freaky and experimental? You get DOWN with your bad self (and, hey, do it in a cup while you're at it - save yourself some trouble later).

Just, you know, back this one up so you can always go back to it if the readers revolt.

Posted by: Dawnie at September 22, 2004 4:54 PM

You do good work! My vote is keep your site the way it is. I like it. It is not blah like mine.

Posted by: Kelley at September 22, 2004 5:02 PM

Im new, but I like the current design. that said you can always come and do my site if you are itchy to design something :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at September 22, 2004 5:05 PM

If you DO do a site-redesign, just don't have a chicken in a box. Trust me on this one.

;)

Posted by: sledge at September 22, 2004 5:16 PM

That is completely up to you. I usually only change my layouts when I am bored with them....not when my readers are. So...are you bored with your layout?

Posted by: Amy at September 22, 2004 7:32 PM

I like the original, but maybe you'd like to change it for a while. I'm sure I'll like that too.

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at September 22, 2004 7:56 PM

I think it looks great! Whoodathunk a Cactus could create such beauty!

Posted by: Jade at September 22, 2004 10:05 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe the smallest unit of measurement is a quark.

Don't ask me how big it is though.

Posted by: Joe at September 22, 2004 10:17 PM

Very nice job, Chris. While I love the design you got going I think you should take a shot at your own site only because I know it'd be just as awesome as now, or better! Any way I like change, and if you're reluctant to you can always save this one and come back to it, right? I say go for it!

Posted by: Pink Sun Drops at September 22, 2004 10:52 PM

I like your design a lot. Especially the header graphic. Primarily because I have zero design ability and I want a good header graphic too. But I don't know how to make dragon scales and whatever else a jabberwocky would texturally look like.

Posted by: jacinthe at September 22, 2004 11:33 PM

I LOVE that design, but I like yours the way it is, too. I'm all about the basic white (although I love colorful sites too).

The reason? It's better to read at work without anyone saying, "What the hell is on your screen?!"

Posted by: DeAnn at September 23, 2004 12:57 AM

Oh Cactus! Totally up to you, YOU ROCK! I love your clean design, your wacky approach to life that comes across in this journal. Some times the masses are right and some times you have to do a trail blaze. All I know for sure, I am hanging on to your coat tails where ever you go! And Amy was LUCKY to have you fix her site! I am now green with envy!

Posted by: gypsy at September 23, 2004 1:18 AM

I like this design. Clean, simple, and work safe. It's all about the content for me.

Posted by: boots at September 23, 2004 8:34 AM

Keep it the way it is, but I think your "tootbrush" picture is better than the guitar one.

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at September 23, 2004 9:47 AM

okay, I didn't read all the comments, but I like the layout of your site. It's simple, clean-cut, like the perfect pair of crisp khakis, and the little boxes make each post happily self-contained.

but if you changed anything? I am sure we would all pronounce it GENIUS.

Posted by: samantha at September 23, 2004 9:48 AM

You know that I do enjoy your layout, but maybe add a little color?

Actually... why not make some skins, like Zoot has. Then we can all pick our favorite, nobody has to use a skin they don't like, and we'll all love you even more than we already do.

Posted by: PinkStiletto at September 23, 2004 9:58 AM

change is hard and never good.

Posted by: laura at September 23, 2004 10:43 AM

the smallest measurement that has meaning is a planck length. i didn't remember the actual numbers so i looked it up: 1.6 x 10^-35 m

don't ask me how i know this.

Posted by: rachel at September 23, 2004 10:51 AM

oooh do me do me do me! but you must hear that everyday... about redesigning websites... sheesh, get your mind out of the gutter.

i like the current design, i wouldn't recognize you if i came here and it was different. (well, duh, it would be different...) you could maybe start us off slow... like same design but different colors. =)

Posted by: monique at September 23, 2004 12:19 PM

well, the smallest thing that's known to man is a sub-atomic particle measured scientifically under lab conditions to be 10 centimeters taken to the negative 13th power.

but though that thing is very small, it's really not that small at all compared to the line that is ever so fine, that separates the hot from the cold on the handle of your shower.

/dr demento

Posted by: tj at September 23, 2004 12:29 PM

keep it

Posted by: Kenn at September 23, 2004 1:51 PM

uhhh see how it is for awhile.. try a "test run" and THEN PERMENTLY decide.

Posted by: Maureen at September 23, 2004 8:02 PM

I LOVE the way it is right now. It's SO you :)))

Posted by: Sweety at September 24, 2004 7:12 AM

I'm aching for a redesign of the site! It's looked like this for as long as I've been reading (over a year?) REDESIGN!!!

Posted by: Tjej at September 27, 2004 1:04 PM