September 9, 2004

Work...Cos I Never Blog About That

Let's say you have a big document to write. So, you gather a team together and assign folks to write various parts. Simple enough, right? Now, lets also say you bring everyone together on a Wednesday to review what's going well and what's not. Everyone should be on the same page, correct?

Around here, pulling together a proposal is a Big Deal. Its how we get work, how we stay employed. When a proposal comes in everyone scrambles - some to work on it, some to run screaming from the building. But everyone recognizes that its a Big Deal.

So why is it that, as I'm sitting here reviewing the entire 75 page document now - the entire document that must be completed by 5:00 this evening - I find that its complete and utter crap? I already had to completely rewrite one person's section because, frankly, I didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

And why is it grown people can't string a decent sentence together? I mean, I know I'm no Steinbeck or Salinger on my site but that's because I rarely edit what I write here. But on paper? For work? For money? I don't mind saying I'm damn good at what I do. But apparently I'm the only one who knows any of the rules of grammar.

Yes, I'm bitter. Going back to Bitter Proposal Writing Mode. Thanks for letting me rant.

Posted by Chris at September 9, 2004 12:43 PM
Comments

I know NOTHING about proper writing rules or grammar. NOTHING. So consider my world an "ignorance is bliss" type of existence where if I read what you're reading? I'd be like "this is nice..." hehe.

Hang in there...good luck.

Posted by: Zoot at September 9, 2004 12:47 PM

Chris,
I work in the same field as you and go through a similar ordeal on a weekly basis. Its hard for me to understand or accept the fact that some of the technicians and managers that I work with actually have a four-year degree.

scary...

Posted by: Lee at September 9, 2004 12:50 PM

I hear ya...these preschoolers? It's like pulling teeth to get them to understand that we do not start sentences with the word, "and". Oh wait, you don't have to deal with preschoolers, you deal with adults! Hahaha, sorry. This is what my hubby deals with daily. It sucks and sorry you are having a tough day!

Posted by: jujubee at September 9, 2004 1:11 PM

Based on my comments and emails, no one would ever believe that I know how to use proper grammar and syntax. But I do. And I'm damn good at it too. I'm just lazy with my unprofessional writing.
Still, it amazes me how many people don't know how to use a semi-colon properly. It's not like it's rocket science. But whatever, this is where people start calling me a snob, so I'll shut up now :P

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at September 9, 2004 1:29 PM

I feel your pain Chris. I once had to tell a room full of attorneys what they could and could not flush down the toilets at temporary work site.

Posted by: Sue at September 9, 2004 1:30 PM

I think I would be the running screamer...sorry!

Posted by: debby at September 9, 2004 2:22 PM

Are you just arriving at Bitterville? Welcome. If you feel like a cup of coffee, I'll meet you at the "My Neighbors are Asshats Cafe".

Posted by: feisty girl at September 9, 2004 2:27 PM

I have no idea what your talking about when you say their messing up.

I've been asked to proof-read documents that are going out of our office and they range from 'okay' to 'frightful' in the grammar dept. And I'm not that good at it myself*, so I have to be missing a lot!

*proven by starting that last sentence with And.

Posted by: bmh at September 9, 2004 2:28 PM

Proofreading is my life. It's what I do day in and day out. I would say you'd be amazed at what people try to pawn off as an intelligent sentence, but you probably wouldn't. Just annoying as hell.

Posted by: doulazanie at September 9, 2004 3:12 PM

I feel for ya. I have to admit I'm very lax in the grammar department for casual conversation. But for anything work related, I'm a stickler for proper grammar and one can say I do have a stick up my butt about it. Yikes! But I also think...in literature...bad grammar can have a place. For instance...making characters more colorful by use of bad grammar during conversation? Okay I'll shut-up about that for the moment as I have to think of a good example. lol. "And"...my work day is done and it's time for me to go home! Yay!

Posted by: groovebunny at September 9, 2004 3:23 PM

It's all about pride ... work ethic ...

I have it. It is lacking in my office.

I know exactly what you are saying.

Posted by: Kenn at September 9, 2004 4:41 PM

Kick Ass Site Chris!
Got the link from a friend of mine (groovebunny)...
Awesome...
I gonna link it...
Jon

Posted by: Jon at September 9, 2004 4:50 PM

You should also be bitter because it forces your wife to sit home alone all night and have leftover dal and wine for dinner. Although wait, that part is actually ok.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at September 9, 2004 6:47 PM

Those of us who have degrees in English know, and understand, the degree of frustration you're going through. But that's why you get paid the bug bucks :) Now pass the buck and clink a glass with your wife.

Posted by: Colby at September 9, 2004 7:53 PM