October 5, 2004

Signs of Suckage

I'm really not a pessimistic guy, but there are a few indications that today might very well suck. Its 8:15 and I've already gotten signs.

Sign #1: I have another headache. Or maybe its the same one from this past weekend, lying in wait for the worst possible time to make its presence known.

Sign #2: I pulled out of my neighborhood and drove right across a median. Not a nice low grassy median but one constructed of solid cement with high curbs. And as I was running over it, hearing and feeling the jarring thunks as my two left wheels rolled over then off of it, I narrowly missed the street sign planted into the middle of the median. Then I veered into oncoming traffic. For no apparent reason.

Sign #3: As I was leaving the house I noticed a small hole in the shoulder of the suit I'm wearing today. Its a black suit. I have a black Sharpie. Yes, that's my idea of emergency tailoring.

Sign #4: Mere minutes ago, I discovered that I had something on the ass of my pants. Luckily, it was easily removed. Thank god I noticed.

Sign #5: I have a meeting with Crazy Client. Which I'm leading. At which I have to pitch an idea for a project I'm leading that I don't agree with whatsoever. Should be a fun afternoon.

Now, all of this is balanced out by a meeting I had yesterday. We (meaning my boss' boss' boss and I) arrived a few minutes early and checked out the client's new offices, since they just moved. Here's how the conversation played out.

Client: Since I got you both here, there's been something I've been meaning to tell you (turns head abruptly to boss) with respect to the work done on this project.
Me: Oh shit. What did I do? What could he possibly have been waiting to tell my boss with me in the room? My ass is so fired...or something.
Boss: Okay.
Client: You have working for you one of the best people we've ever had the honor to work with.
Me: I thought he was going to talk about me. What - is he trying to illustrate how bad I suck by comparing me to someone else?
Client: He consistently goes above and beyond the call. I can only imagine how many accolades you hear about him from his other clients.
Me: Sweet lord...cut to the chase and get to whatever it is you want to say about me!
Boss: I really appreciate hearing that. Every team has a secret weapon, an ace in the hole and he's truly ours.
Me: Oh, now he's talking about this other guy too? What's up with that?
Client: I can't tell you how many times he's saved us, been there to help us and really made us successful.
Me: Wait. Hold up just a second. Are they talking about me? Nah! Couldn't be.
Client: Chris, keep up the excellent work. We've truly appreciated everything you've done so far and the way in which you've done it.
Me: They are talking about me. Wow. And here I thought I was just a slacker. Oh. Wait. Say something. Stop thinking and say something. Now! Thank you. I very much appreciate that and its been an pleasure working with you and your team.

So, that was good. But I've often found that too much good in one day sucks the goodness out of the next. Wish me luck with Crazy Client.

Posted by Chris at October 5, 2004 8:49 AM
Comments

Oh, you are awesome!! :)

At least it balances out your sucky day a little bit. And just think...it is morning for you, but elsewhere (aka HERE) it is already afternoon. I hope your day gets better. :)

Posted by: Zandria at October 5, 2004 8:54 AM

Yeah, ok...the major client kudos kick ass. But if it were me, I probably would have turned around and headed back to bed right after the median thing. You are an intrepid soul.

Posted by: QC at October 5, 2004 9:06 AM

Congrats Chris, I know how impportant it is to be recognized for all the hard you do. Its rare to have a boss that can appreciate the effort and commitment that you have obviously given to your firm. I'm sure it made your day, week, maybe even your year. Have a good Tuesday.

Posted by: Lee at October 5, 2004 9:09 AM

Congrats on the compliments! Glad you pulled off # 2 sober and safely.

Posted by: Colby at October 5, 2004 9:11 AM

funny. see, me? I would have naturally assumed they were talking about me. If, in the end, it had turned on me, I would have just smiled and silently plotted their demise. But only in my head, of course. I'm not crazy. Regardless of what you hear on the street.

Posted by: patricia at October 5, 2004 9:15 AM

Congrats on the compliment and good luck with today!

Posted by: amber at October 5, 2004 9:19 AM

Chris, we already know you are awesome, but I will admit that it is awefully nice to hear it. My boss tells me all the time how wonderful my work is but I still consider myself a slacker. :)

Posted by: goodsnake at October 5, 2004 9:26 AM

That's great news on yesterday's client! As for today, I just have to mention that you should also keep away from black cats, ladders and cracks! Break a leg with crazy client. ;)

Posted by: charm at October 5, 2004 9:30 AM

Good job! Sometimes we think our jobs are thankless until something like that happens.

Posted by: Amy at October 5, 2004 9:33 AM

Good luck with CC! Things will be better than you fear. I hope. Especially since you apparently already survived mowing a median with your vehicle. The rest of the day should be easy.

(but just to be on the safe side, can you take a different route home? Maybe it's the median that jumped in front of YOU. I'm just saying...)

Posted by: ben at October 5, 2004 9:35 AM

very cool, but please try to drive on the right side of the road.

i'm having signs too...i have a headache, my back hurts and my boss just asked me to pull together some numbers in the next couple of weeks when i'm gone for 3 days and have 2 major publication deadlines in these very same weeks. sure, no problem! a*hole.

Posted by: laura at October 5, 2004 9:39 AM

I feel for you on those headaches. I am fighting tooth and nail with mine on a regular basis lately. I tried Replax and it is a wonder drug but you aren't supposed to take more than 2 a day so I get about 6 hours of freedom before the migraine comes back full force. It is almost as if the Replax gives the headache just enough time to round up some more buddies to kick the shit out of my brain.

Posted by: LOUP at October 5, 2004 9:50 AM

I think you are exactly right. The cosmic rulers are adament that a great day must be followed by a crap day. They are heavy-handed bastards like that.

Posted by: bond girl at October 5, 2004 9:58 AM

Yes, that is awesome to hear compliments from the boss! Congrats. I'm really sorry to hear about your epic headache. I have been there and it's pretty horrible.

As for the traffic thing...hmmm. Maybe your head is just so jam-packed with knowledge and ideas for work that there's no room in there for, like, safety regulations? Just a thought.

Posted by: supine at October 5, 2004 10:05 AM

Yay you and gl with the nutsy one today. I have a headache today too - I think I caught it from your blog.

Posted by: debby at October 5, 2004 10:13 AM

That's great news! I'm sorry your day has been teh suck otherwise, though.

Here's hoping it clears up soon!

Posted by: Tara at October 5, 2004 10:18 AM

hooray for a little praise where praise is due! I hope you get your headache situation worked out...don't make me tell you to go to the doctor. Because I will, cause I'm a bossy big sister person and I have no problem bossing around people when they need to go to the doctor already. ;)

Posted by: samantha at October 5, 2004 10:50 AM

NNNOOOooo... i thought they were talking about ME! curse you chris ... you have stolen my thunder yet again. i'll get you ... i'll get you ...

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

*cue creepy music and thunder and lightning*

Posted by: tj at October 5, 2004 11:08 AM

Well, if you start getting signs like crop circles in your corn field, I suggest that you run.

And, of course, congrats :)

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at October 5, 2004 11:13 AM

CONGRATS! on the accolades! That must have made your chest poof out just a tad!

The signs this morning, particularily running over the median, would have caused me to drive straight home, call in sick, and stay in bed all day long.

Of course, you're then risking something crashing through the ceiling onto your head in bed....
it's a tough call!

Good luck with Crazy Client. Hopefully they don't carry pocket knives!

Posted by: Jade at October 5, 2004 11:19 AM

It is always nice to be validated and appreciated at work. You deserve it!

In regard to the start of your day today, you truly are a brave soul for not turning right around and climbing back into bed. Hope that things turn around for you. Soon!

Since I am still sick, want to me to breathe on CC? That should get him off your back for a few days! I would do that for you.

Keep smilin'!

Posted by: Desiree' at October 5, 2004 11:20 AM

Kudos on the kudos! It's always really cool when some one does that in front of your boss and they agree!

BTW - isn't this the second time recently that you've gotten something on the ass of your pants? Hmmmm...

Posted by: Sue at October 5, 2004 11:27 AM

Yippie...Wheeeee...way to go...If I lived closer I would take you out for chocolate soft serve ice cream...the only real way to celebrate....

....before going to a bar and having many cocktails! When is your boss giving you your raise?

Posted by: Michelle at October 5, 2004 11:30 AM

Wanna know how to start a rotten MF-ing day? Get an undeserved ticket for failure to yield to a pedestrian!

And the bad part? I was having a GREAT day!

Good for you for working so hard and earning the accolades! You deserve it!

Posted by: doulazanie at October 5, 2004 11:35 AM

Woohoo on the props! Always nice to hear, especially from the bosses. So did that median just kind of pop out of nowhere? They'll get ya.

Posted by: Heather at October 5, 2004 12:40 PM

Ah, it's worth a day with Crazy Client to get some compliments like that.

Posted by: Martha at October 5, 2004 1:15 PM

Sorry for the sucky day, but the pats on the back had to have made it worth it! :)

Posted by: Swt GA HunnyB at October 5, 2004 1:57 PM

Medians are scary. Also, huzzah for the compliments. That's great. It's nice knowing someone outside the blogosphere also knows you're awesome.

Posted by: Heather at October 5, 2004 1:57 PM

CC. Hmmm... Crazy Client? Or CHRIS CACTUS?? You're having meetings with yourself again, aren't you?

Congrats on the praise. I think if you wake up with another headache tomorrow you've earned your day off.

Posted by: bmh at October 5, 2004 8:53 PM

For a slacker you sure have them all fooled! : ) Isn't it nice to hear something positive from people though, when it happens to me, I stare in wonder, and feel good for the next month! But I have no self-esteem what so ever! *grin*

Your trip to work sounded down right scary! Did you hurt your car at all? Since I know you just hurt your pride and not your body.

Posted by: gypsy at October 6, 2004 12:05 AM