October 12, 2004

Travelog: Day Four

OR, TAKE A RIGHT AT THE ROTATING LOBSTER
Hi. I'm tired. You see, we walked all over the place today...again. Yeah, I know. We said we were going to take it easy but didn't. My legs and feet? They effing hurt. Please stay in the damn room, they plead, but no, that just wouldn't be any fun now would it?

After my previous post yesterday evening, we headed out and walked around Times Square. Our mission: Knock-off handbags (and by the way, "handbags" is what all the signs say. When I use it, I think I sound like an old lady but, when in Rome...). We were only moderately successful. See? We found the trick. Most of the cheap crap they're trying to pawn off in the streets is just that - crap. Instead of an L and a V on the bags, they have a nice P. Obviously, Louis' less-successful brother, Pierre or something. But then we hit paydirt. A guy who pulled us around the corner, threw us a hefty bag and said "Check these out. They, uh, fell off the truck, you know? Just take it easy and don't act like this is a big deal. Nothing to see here, you know?" And, as if we were trying to smuggle plans for some missle defense system across the border, we found ourselves staring at the genuine articles. I was gung-ho! I was all ready to hand over cash. I even had my wallet out. But then Beth decided it wasn't the style she was looking for. So, that's half the battle, at least.

We returned to the hotel for a drink and bed. Both of which were accomplished, the latter of the two only slightly interrupted by someone siccing their fax machine on our hotel room phone number this morning at 3:00.

This morning we were up and out early again. We wandered down Fifth Avenue and laughed at a lot of the clothes in Versace, Gucci and Armani's windows. We actually went into a few and laughed in person two. Who wears half of this stuff, anyway? Then we headed into Central Park for a while, journeyed down Park Avenue, wandered through Grand Central Station and the lobby of the Chrysler Building (my favorite building in the world) then camped out in Bryant Park for lunch.

Now, we've resisted doing many of the really touristy things. We've already done most of them. But we had to take a little trip through Madame Tussaud's wax museum.

I've gotta tell you, its cheesy but a lot of fun. And the wax figures? Dude, they're so lifelike its creepy. I was standing next to John Travolta and I was sure he was going to turn to me and try and get me all into scientology.

Beth and I are just about to head out to dinner and another show. No rest for the wicked, weary or just flat-out exhausted!

Posted by Chris at October 12, 2004 4:47 PM
Comments

Glad you guys are having such a terrific time, you deserve it!

Posted by: debby at October 12, 2004 5:07 PM

Ohhh! Lookie, that one right there, in front of Julia Roberts, that looks so much like you, Chris!
How eerie! To see yourself turned to wax like that!

LOL
Sounds like ya'll are having a great time!

Posted by: Jade at October 12, 2004 5:16 PM

Am confused - who is the wax girl to the right of you in the photo? It looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt with an unusually large ass.

Posted by: supine at October 12, 2004 5:18 PM

Wow, I would so hump Shakira! {Looks around} What? Who said that?

But the Julia Roberts one is slightly terrifying.
And I'd watch out if I were you... Looks like you almost got attacked by JLO's ass. That thing is dangerous!

Oh and handbags? Totally cooler than saying "pocketbook" which reminds me of some big fat bag lady with weird hats and pigeons on her shoulders.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at October 12, 2004 6:05 PM

Ooh . . . Julia Roberts? That looks EXACTLY like her. I love wax museums, hehe. I'm a big dork, but I think we should ALL embrace the dork within. And good luck with finding more good buys on "handbags"! (I just refer to the lot of them as purses, but ah well). =)

Posted by: Jennie at October 12, 2004 6:35 PM

Oh my gosh! That is sooooo creepy/cool! Okay, so I know the one behind you is Julia Roberts, and JLo is on your left, but is the blonde chick Xtina or Brittney? It doesn’t look like either one. Okay, I just read the other comments and who the heck is Shakira?

And I have to be totally honest here:I was trying to figure out who the guy in the center was. Yes, I’m a dork…BUT how totally hot are you?! Wow! Lucky Beth!

I would have bought one of those handbags anyway! Dang!

Posted by: doulazanie at October 12, 2004 7:03 PM

There is a Madame Tussaud's in Las Vegas and I agree...it is tons of fun...they are really life like...Gerard Depardieu scared the beejeebeez outta me...because he looked like he was about to rise from the table in a drunken stupor and harrass me.

Glad to hear you are having so much fun.

Posted by: Amy at October 12, 2004 7:48 PM

You totally look like you belong in the museum; I too for a moment thought who's that famous guy, because there's so many I don't know about! But then I realized to my chagrin that it was our favorite wannabe rock star.
I've never been to a wax museum, and I'm now convinced that I should try it sometime.

Posted by: Heather at October 12, 2004 9:10 PM

I thought the chick on the left (his right) was Mariah Carey. Pre-breakdown of course.

Posted by: LOUP at October 12, 2004 11:11 PM

Ha! When we were there, we did the same thing: walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk & walk even on "relax- days" :))
I very much enjoyed the wax museum too! And yes they look creepely real! Who's the handsome dude in the picture? ;))

Posted by: Sweety at October 13, 2004 2:53 AM

I would LOVE the was museum!

Posted by: Zoot at October 13, 2004 6:17 AM

I went to the Madame Tussad's in London. They had the Queen there, and she was even more life-like, because let's face, it she does stand around frozen a lot.

Posted by: Sheryl at October 13, 2004 8:02 AM

'handbag' is so stylish, much more so than 'pocketbook' - so so grandma. it's kinda like the 'slacks' - 'pants' debate. anyway...

love the lobsta! and that wax guy in the chair... so life-like!

Posted by: monique at October 13, 2004 8:34 AM

I had no idea you were going for so long!! When do you guys head back?

Posted by: Amy at October 13, 2004 8:44 AM

argh.... the wax people SCARE me. I wig out being around them (over priced too!), and I blame my cousins for it!

When I was 3 or 4 we went to Tussauds (in London). I was hanging with the boys- cause they didn't try to put me in tutus and such frou-frou shit. I was the youngest and I was yelling about how they looked real. So my older cousin (about 9) whispered to me that one of them in each museum is real. And if touched it it would move.

Action Plan Numero Uno: One whack ass cousin fed me that coke line, another hides behind the "living one" and the last asshat after taking me thorough the whole tapping the wax path to the figure said maybe it was the "live" one. I'd only know if I touched it though... Never one to shy away from the challenge, I touched it. Twat moved the thing. I freaked the FUCK out and ran out of the room SCREAMING all sort of things in Spanish (so freaked I resorted to the "family" language of God) at a pitch only dogs can hear with arms flailing.

I can't help but think of that each time I stare at them. I haven't ever lived that one down in the family. It is still one of my uncle's favorite "try to embarass Tink" stories. And for the record- hell no I have not forgotten nor forgiven!

Posted by: stinkerbell at October 13, 2004 12:05 PM

dude ... NO! canal street is a much better place to buy the knockoffs. you can get purses (or handbags), watches, hats, clothes, perfumes ... everything! it's downtown between little italy and the financial area. check it out ... seriously!

Posted by: tj at October 13, 2004 12:53 PM

I guess I will not be getting my handbag then---damn Chris I thought you understood that message Julia whispered in your ear. I am so glad the vacation is going so well...

Posted by: Sweet N Sassy at October 13, 2004 10:36 PM