October 11, 2004

Travelog: Day Three

Remember when I said yesterday that we'd walked alot? Well, I was wrong. That? Was today. We had a grand plan this morning and my was it grand indeed.

As you can probably tell, we started the day at Ground Zero. Its something I badly wanted to see, which was why it was rather strange when I found myself somewhat emotionless at the site at which the towers once stood. To be honest, it looks like a gigantic construction site. And thats it. But when we walked into St. Paul's, seconds from Ground Zero, all bets were off. St. Paul's was used by the first responders - they carried the injured inside and turned it into a make-shift staging ground. The pews of the church are still scarred and scuffed, reminders of a time at which the injuried were brought on stretchers and laid across them. Momentos from the St. Paul's fences, once crowded with tributes, have been kept. The church itself is lined with banners. It is a very real and very living memorial with more heart than Ground Zero itself showed. Its proof, I think, that its not the buildings we miss so much but rather the people that inhabited them.

Following our trip to Ground Zero, we walked, well, everywhere. As its Columbus Day, there were cultural festivals with closed streets and vendors everywhere. The Financial District, Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Little Italy, Grenwich Village, Soho, Noho...yes, we were there today. And a special thanks to Susan (a frequent site visitor and friend) for the recommendation to The Noho Star - we just had dinner there and it was great!

We're off again! This time? To scope out knock-off bags in Times Square. Hey, don't laugh. I already bought a fake Rolex! By the way...dig the restaurant we saw today. Yes, I'm still 12.

Posted by Chris at October 11, 2004 7:07 PM
Comments

You should have grabbed something to nibble at the Big Wang ... then again maybe a picture was the better choice.

Posted by: LOUP at October 11, 2004 8:44 PM

Wow! It sounds like you will leave no stone unturned in NYC! I am really enjoying living vicariously through you. Continue the updates and pictures, they are appreciated!

Posted by: Nicole at October 11, 2004 9:32 PM

Glad to hear that you are still 12, we like you that way. Have fun and be safe!

Posted by: jujubee at October 11, 2004 10:11 PM

I love knowing that someone else is still 12 besides myself!

Was thinking about your "ground zero" feelings, and I believe it would be the same for me. A hole, or two holes. I believe, too, it's the people, the souls, that are reveared, missed, loved, and prayed for. Not the buildings or where they stood. I never understood the need for competitions regarding what goes there now. Who really cares as long as the people, the souls, the lives are celebrated in some way, anyway, and, to repeat the undying phrase so over said....
"We Shall Never Forget...."

Posted by: Jade at October 11, 2004 10:23 PM

Ah Chris! Soho! Did you see MY Bowie???? Did you take a pic for me???? Did you even look???? *grin*

I too am glad you are 12, who needs to grow up all the way? Not us!

Posted by: gypsy at October 11, 2004 11:00 PM

Walking in NYC seems like it would never get old, though. You could walk forever and ever (as, apparently, you did!)

Posted by: DeAnn at October 12, 2004 12:52 AM

Could totally relate to your Ground Zero experience: When I was there last summer, Mer and I were in Brooklyn Heights (oh, if you're out that way, hit Grimaldi's for pizza). We were on Pier whatever looking at the skyline, and I just kept looking at it like there was something just not right. Then Mer says, "That's where the Towers were," and my stomach just sank. But when we got there a few days later? Not so much. And it's probably a lot more built up than it was when I was there.

Tell Beth if she wants really good knockoffs, either Chinatown (that's where I got my little white Louis barrel bag and cherry blossom Louis wallet that's falling apart but I refuse to give up) or, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, Bensonhurst. I doubt y'all want to go that far, though. But hey! If you want to see the Welcome Back Kotter school, go there; that's where Mer teaches. New Utrecht High, it's called.

Posted by: Broad at October 12, 2004 1:37 AM

*writing down all recommended neighbourhoods where to find good knock off bags*

Absolutely LOVE travel journal. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Sweety at October 12, 2004 5:39 AM

You have no idea how much I'm enjoying your stories of your travels. And the pictures are fantastic. Thanks for keeping us involved!

Posted by: Zoot at October 12, 2004 6:40 AM

It sounds divine!

Posted by: Zandria at October 12, 2004 6:45 AM

Many a time I have thought wouldn't it be grand to eat at the wang only to realize that my sexual preferance does not allow for that. Thanks for posting a picture of your BIG WANG.

hehe google here we come!

Posted by: Jeff A at October 12, 2004 7:17 AM

I think that is one of my favorite parts of the New York experience - the walking. It's so cool to feel part of something big and yet be rather anonymous. Glad you crazy kids are having such a good time!

Posted by: samantha at October 12, 2004 8:25 AM

I can relate to the 'Ground Zero' experience. In OKC, there are chairs on a grassy hill for each of the victims. Every time I see my sisters chair, I think to myself that morning she was probably getting ready to make coffee, or opening some mail or I wonder just what ritual of her day she was doing. It's never about the building, no matter how famous. No, the loss is the hearts that were taken away. I thank my God for every remembrance of thee.

Posted by: wlfldy at October 12, 2004 8:54 AM

As Nicole said....I am also living vicariously through you and loving every minute of it! But can you guys please just pack me up in one of your bags and take me w/ you next time? Pretty please w/ a cherry on top? I promise I'm loads of fun to travel with!

Posted by: junkie at October 12, 2004 10:47 AM

Oh this travelogue to one of my fave citites is SO yum. Seeing as I can't be there-- I am SO loving reading about your travels. Have you checked out the Isamu Noguchi museum in Brooklyn? It is supposed to be wonderful-- if you like Noguchi, of course.

Posted by: bluepoppy at October 12, 2004 10:53 AM

NY is the best walking city, ever! Sounds like you're leaving no neighborhood stone unturned. Buy a knockoff bag or two for me (there's a Marc Jacobs one that makes my heart sing....).

Posted by: Heather at October 12, 2004 11:40 AM

Glad you enjoyed The NoHo Star! Hope the rest of your travels are stellar as well!

Posted by: Sue at October 12, 2004 12:34 PM

chinatown definitely for knock-offs.

i have yet to visit ground zero. i don't think i could keep it together. i was nearby in november 2001 and just seeing the bright lights and knowing what was going on there was incredibly upsetting to me.

Posted by: laura at October 12, 2004 2:59 PM