October 15, 2004

Travelog: The Wrap-up

Have you been wondering exactly where I was for the last week? Check out the map on the left and it should give you a pretty good idea. Those yellow areas (meaning, most of Manhattan)? That's where we were...where we mostly walked (which would explain why we're both hobbling around the house like 80 year-olds today). From the northern end of Central Park to the southern tip of Manhattan at Battery Park, we walked the island. And while Paris may still be my favorite city in the world, New York runs a very close second.

I tried to type out a few of my thoughts along the way but honestly, I didn't have a lot of time. New York is a great place for a vacation but it is not one of the more relaxing destinations one could choose. Regardless, I can hopefully make up for some of that lack of detail with some of the many pictures I shot over the five days we were in NYC.

There are, of course, the buildings and bridges. Two of my favorite sights in Manhattan are the Chrysler Building and the Brooklyn Bridge. Which may explain why I've ended up with so many pictures of each. If there's a better subject for photographers in NYC than the Brooklyn Bridge, I don't know what it could be.

There were, however, two buildings missing this time. As I said in my original post the day of the visit to Ground Zero, witnessing the holes left in the ground by the Twin Towers didn't have a great impact. It was a construction site. A massive one, but a simple construction site. However, our trip into nearby St. Paul's was what got me. There, the human toll is real. There, you can see the scratch marks from the gurneys on the pews. There you can see the banners sent to the city from around the world. There, you can see the cots on which first responders tried to sleep. Its there that you see just how costly the tragedy was, and remains.

Then there are the things that make New York, well, New York. From Chinatown to Little Italy, each neighborhood has a unique flavor. There were parades, street fairs - in one block alone we were assulted with smells of fresh Indian, Thai, Mexican, Brazilian and Middle Eastern food (and the Indian tasted excellent!). Not only were vendors selling fake Rolexes but bed sheets, socks, shoes, African tribal masks, homemade rap CDs and rugs. All of these things mix together and, amid all the chaos, blaring horns, speeding taxis, Wall Street traders, it all somehow works.

Want to see all the photos? Sure you do. Click to view!

Posted by Chris at October 15, 2004 10:23 AM
Comments

Awesome pictures, and sooooo many, my lord! I have to say that you and Beth just are so adorable and so cute together. Hope you had an awesome anniversary.

Posted by: jujubee at October 15, 2004 11:00 AM

I am not a fan of big cities nor crowds. That said, I am a huge fan of New York City. I love the crowds and all the sites and sounds. Were I rich, I would own a place there in the city.

Posted by: Strode at October 15, 2004 11:13 AM

Fabulous, fabulous. Succulent as ever. You big Ho Star.

Posted by: bmh at October 15, 2004 12:00 PM

Okay, plenty of things go without saying here: wonderful pictures, happy you had a great time, glad your back, you and your wife are so perfect it makes me want to GAG... you know, the usual....

But back to the wax museum... the stuff that REALLY matters. Is that you sandwiched between Lenny Kravitz and LEWIS BLACK!?! GAH! I LOVE him. He's my hero.
Brad Pitt? I'm going to have nightmares about that one! And it's such a shame that Donald Trump has better hair on a mannequin than he does in real life. Ozzy? Looks eerily real. And what the hell was Michael Jackson doing in the wax museum? Isn't he on trial?! Gah. You should contact the CA police department, they are probably looking for him. Oh, and being such a handsome young man, I would advise that you never again stand that close to him ever again ;)

Welcome home.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at October 15, 2004 12:09 PM

Glad you made it home safe! I am still going through all the pics. What kind of camera do you use?

Posted by: jazzy at October 15, 2004 12:34 PM

Wonderful pics! I think my favorites are the glass buildings with the awesome reflections in them. Glad you and the Missus had a great time and I want her handbag! lol

Posted by: charm at October 15, 2004 12:53 PM

Hahaha. That picture of you with Michael Jackson. Hilarious!

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing :))

Posted by: Sweety at October 15, 2004 1:26 PM

Have you ever thought of selling any of your photos? $10 here and there can add up. I'd bea buyer.....great shots...glad you guys had a good time.

Posted by: Michelle at October 15, 2004 1:37 PM

What wonderful pictures! You and Beth look beautiful together! Thanks for sharing your anniversary vacation with us. Looks like you both had a fantastic time.

Posted by: Desiree' at October 15, 2004 2:12 PM

heh, i have the same picture of the R at Toys R Us here. ooo..ooo..and you got my glittering marquee!

you guys look great in the elevator on your way to dinner or a show i imagine.

Posted by: laura at October 15, 2004 2:16 PM

Sounds like a blast! And beautiful photographs, too!

Posted by: Shiz at October 15, 2004 2:26 PM

You're so talented Chris :) I love the one of Beth and her purse just cuz she looks so darned happy. I hope ya'll had an amazing trip. You've strengthened my resolve to one day visit NYC.

Posted by: Heather at October 15, 2004 2:41 PM

Welcome home my exhausted friend. Glad you had a great trip!

Posted by: Scarlett Cyn at October 15, 2004 2:56 PM

Thanks for sharing with us, Chris. You two are so cute it's sickening (just kidding!). Great photos and a reminder that I need to get back to NYC again- such a great town!

Posted by: Kristi at October 15, 2004 3:42 PM

Beautiful! You could make a book out of those.

Posted by: Mary at October 15, 2004 3:42 PM

Nice! Awesome pictures! Beth is such a smart woman! Besides the fact that you take a great picture, you only add to her own beauty making "together shots" simply a wonder to look at!
I feel as though I were there too. The shots were awesome! You two are great!

Posted by: Jade at October 15, 2004 9:26 PM

I feel as though I were there too. The shots were awesome! You two are great!

Posted by: Jade at October 15, 2004 9:26 PM

What? No Naked Cowboy? Awesome photos. You really have a talent for taking beautiful photographs. Also, you and your wife are a very cute couple! Glad you had fun.

Posted by: Nicole at October 15, 2004 11:00 PM

Those are great! I love the ones with the really bright colors. NYC, here I come... :)

Posted by: Zandria at October 16, 2004 6:32 AM

Ooohh, I love all the colors in the pictures!

Posted by: JustAgirl at October 16, 2004 8:34 AM

I just can't get over how many comments you get. You lucky little bastard. ;) Miss you, Duckie!

Posted by: Fae at October 16, 2004 8:40 AM

Your pictures remind me that I really need to visit NYC one of these days. I've never been.

Posted by: Casey at October 16, 2004 11:44 AM

Awesome photos. I always bring my camera with me to NY, but never end up taking pictures to my everlasting regret, always saying to myself, "well, you'll be back here in less than a month and you can take pictures then." Of course I never do.

Posted by: jacinthe at October 16, 2004 4:03 PM

NY through your eyes is awesome. Thanks for sharing your vacation. Did you get your risotto?

Posted by: debby at October 16, 2004 10:17 PM