November 18, 2004

Good Samaritan...Almost

I was on my way into work this morning and there was this car, a gold Saturn, about fifty feet ahead of me in a left turn lane. There was something, like a long streamer, hanging from the underside of the car. And when I say long? I'm talking another good fifty feet. The light turned green, we turned and then the driver pulled over, obviously recognizing that there was something wrong. I was going to stop and help until, well, I saw what she was dragging. The streamer wasn't a streamer at all. It was yellow tape bearing the repeated phrase POLICE LINE: DO NOT CROSS. Uh...oops?

I'd like to draw your attention to my wife's site for what is, I believe, one of the funniest posts I've read anywhere in a very long time. And I'm not just saying that because she's my wife.

Posted by Chris at November 18, 2004 7:12 AM
Comments

Haha BIP oops!

*running off to Beth's site*

Posted by: Sweety at November 18, 2004 7:21 AM

*after reading beth*

taking the cigarette out of your mouth wasn't an option?

And SHOES on the COUNTER? FORSHAME!

(Hope I haven't been bugging you too much this week. Just proud of you.)

Posted by: alektra at November 18, 2004 7:37 AM

You know, when the people's baby comes along, the people will most likely have to stop smoking. Does that mean the Evil Fly will be safe?

Posted by: wlfldy at November 18, 2004 7:47 AM

You The People were most wise not to involve yourself with said woman with suspicious yellow tape.

Posted by: Amber at November 18, 2004 8:43 AM

How does someone get a police line streamer stuck to their car??

Posted by: Ginny at November 18, 2004 8:51 AM

What, no RAID? I do like the attempt to take out the fly without removing the leather jacket-- tres francais.

Posted by: bluepoppy at November 18, 2004 8:56 AM

with shoes Chris? tsk tsk...

Posted by: debby at November 18, 2004 9:06 AM

Over the summer a fly got into my house. I changed that little bastard around for 3 hours. Finally? Because I suck so bad at swatting, I drenched it in Windex, and then swatted the shit out of it with a magazine. It was overkill. But that bastard sucked up 3 hours of my day. He had what was coming to him.

And the police tape really makes the mind wonder.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at November 18, 2004 9:26 AM

heh...a coworker of mine was an anti-war protester for halloween and had that exact thing in her trunk. And her trunk got searched by the police when they parked in an NYC museum parking lot the next week, and they had forgotten it was in there.

Posted by: laura at November 18, 2004 10:07 AM

beth's post - fan.tas.tique! (though i have yet to comment and let her know). The People could have just killed the fly with their second-hand smoke... ya think of that, huh, did ya?
police tape dragging from the car!?!? my goodness mr. cactus you really know how to find the weird ones! you have a knack for finding the normalcy-challenged.

Posted by: monique at November 18, 2004 10:08 AM

That was very bad-ass of the People, chasing the fly in a leather jeacket, with a cigarette in thy mouth. But did the People clean their shoe prints off yon countertops?

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 18, 2004 10:30 AM

wow. police tape? ouch. lol. good thing you kept going. also? the only reason The People got the fly was because The People changed dishtowels. :P heehee. shoes on the counter? that is bad. :P

Posted by: Manda at November 18, 2004 10:32 AM

So, do you think her car was part of the original crime scene, or do you think she just drove through one on her way to work? Because I've been known to do some stupid things in the morning myself.

Posted by: Kerry at November 18, 2004 10:58 AM

Good idea not to stop...and as for the fly incident. Here's a tip for next time, remove the cigarette and spray with hairspray. Those little things can't fly once their wings are sticky with hairspray.

Posted by: Krush at November 18, 2004 11:03 AM

I can 'splain the tape.

There was a fly that flew into a car trunk (if you're across the pond, a boot). Someone murdered the fly in the trunk. The fly's relatives pressed charges, and the police investigated. (PETA did not; they're not defending insects yet.)

Posted by: Ontario Emperor at November 18, 2004 11:38 AM

That really was a fabulous post on Beth's part. We can tell by your guys' mad blogging skillz that you are well matched, and will make a super blogging baby when "The People go forth and multiply". :)

Posted by: Heather at November 18, 2004 12:24 PM

Hee...that was too funny....you gots skillz indeed.

Posted by: Sue at November 18, 2004 12:40 PM

beths post was funny ... and i am thinking how do you get that tape ... hmmmm ... have a great day :) i have added you to my favorites :)

Posted by: Rosie at November 18, 2004 1:01 PM

hahaha! and as far as the photo series goes...priceless (the smoke stayed in your mouth the entire time! Bravo!)

Posted by: Jon at November 18, 2004 1:20 PM

You look like such an urban hooligan in your black leather jacket and the cigarette hanging out of your mouth. I would have been totally scared if I was a fly.

Posted by: Casey at November 18, 2004 1:54 PM

Also, (this observation rooted in my recent obsession with musicals), you look like a character from West Side Story. Probably Bernardo.

Posted by: Heather at November 18, 2004 2:20 PM

Bad karma to kill a fly -- especially with a dishtowel --- at least use a rolled up newspaper!

A photo of said car would have been really nice... work on that, will ya?

Posted by: sean at November 18, 2004 2:28 PM

lol - the police tape story is hysterical! Now I'm heading over to read your wife's post...

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at November 18, 2004 2:43 PM

Um. Yea. Don't think I wouldn't crossed that line with that person. Good try tho. Yea.

Posted by: Jade at November 19, 2004 5:50 PM