November 7, 2004

Hello My Name Is...

Last evening, my inlaws had tickets for the four of us to see a Brazilian folk dancing company. This proved interesting for several reasons.

The evening was to be started off with a dinner reception of traditional Brazilian tapas. When we arrived, we were asked to wear name tags. Now, my wife and I have aversions to name tags. I'm not sure why, but I just find it silly. Since they had no idea who we were, we improvised.

And then we got in line for drinks where it was time to horrify the other people in line with us.

Thad: Are you of the Charlotte Simkins'?
Buffy: Certainly not! And you? The Boston Beaumont's I suppose?
Thad: No. I'm from the Flint, Michigan Beaumonts.
Buffy: Ahhh.
Thad: Remember to be nice to me tonight Buffy. If you're not I won't pay to have the Hummer fixed.
Buffy: Its okay. We still have the Beamer.
Thad: Yes. And who knew that if you were going that fast, a toy poodle would go right through the grill of a Hummer? Poor little Muffykins.

Odd stares and raised eyebrows? Of course! The buffet dinner thing was a let down. Actually it just plain sucked so we headed out and ran across the street for some actual, warm and good food. We returned an hour later for the performance.

Now, I've learned an important lesson - I dont think I'm a really huge fan of Brazilian folk dancing. Who knew? The dancing itself was energetic and the music was excellent (give me anything with five drummers and I'm good) but somehow it didn't all come together. Plus there were these two vocalists who were horrible. I really thought they were trying an experiment for a while - at what pitch and volume does the human head explode? They almost found out.

There was a redeeming quality to the whole performance - some of the female dancers performed topless. So, cultural education and boobies! How can you go wrong with that?

Posted by Chris at November 7, 2004 8:21 AM
Comments

Great name tags. It sounds like you've had better times.

Cas
Enjoy your Sunday!

Posted by: cassie-b at November 7, 2004 10:50 AM

Hey stranger!

Wish I was there to see their faces. I always get a kick out of that stuff.
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your weekend :)

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at November 7, 2004 11:17 AM

Names tags ARE stupid. But that was the greatest story evah :)

Posted by: Tjej at November 7, 2004 12:09 PM

Heh, heh. Depending on where in MI you are, claiming to be from Flint can get you one of two responses:

"Cool! Me Too!" OR "Ewwwww! Are you moving soon?"

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at November 7, 2004 12:13 PM

I assume that the topless dancers didn't wear nametags. That would just be so wrong. What you got to sit through just to see a little booby.

Posted by: ken at November 7, 2004 1:30 PM

haha beautiful, I'm putting this on my "must do before death" list.

and by "this" i mean performing cultural education topless ;)

Posted by: Judy at November 7, 2004 1:55 PM

you said boobies :D

Posted by: laura at November 7, 2004 1:59 PM

LOL! Those nametags are great. Sounds like you had somewhat of a good time. =P

Posted by: Jennie at November 7, 2004 2:19 PM

erm you already know what I think of Buffy from teh Computer lab... but I love the discussion

And you want Folk- forget folk I go for tribal... you should have seen me doing the Itchy Pants Dance as a kid. It involved me spontaneously erupting in this stomp dance where I pumped my arms about in the air, lifted my knees as high as I could, involved much jumping and lots of noise. My Indian Name despite 18 years of Ballet training has never been walks without sound.

I guess even though she was Spanish my grandmother being born in Brasil has passed through the genetics :)

And yes I know none of that had anything to do with your post except that is what I thought about when I read Brasil and I have been dancing recently.

Posted by: stinkerbell at November 7, 2004 2:38 PM

I pictured you, sorry Thad, wearing an ascot. At least you found ways to amuse yourselves at a less than fun night out!

Posted by: Kimmer at November 7, 2004 3:11 PM

And in my head Buffy was totally carrying a coach bag. Oh wait, yeah, she has two :P

Posted by: Heather at November 7, 2004 4:08 PM

rofl - you two are definately made for each other!

Posted by: etherian at November 7, 2004 4:53 PM

No, not Coach... LV.

Posted by: :: jozjozjoz :: at November 7, 2004 5:01 PM

hehehehehe - that was absolutely classic!

Posted by: Sabine at November 7, 2004 7:11 PM

before we had the boy we'd assume alternate identities on vacations - we'd spend an entire 7 day cruise being Dimitri and Wendy Yuskevich. he was an urban traffic planner and she an archaeologist.

alternate identities always get the boobies.

Posted by: monique at November 7, 2004 8:48 PM

Ok, minus the bad food and the not-to-taste musical performance, who are you, as a man, to bitch about boobies?! For god's Sake!

Now, as far as the name tags and the conversation surrounding and because of, I LOVE YOU GUYS!

That soooo would have been me and that's one thing that keeps me tuned in to ya'll! High fives all around!

Posted by: Jade at November 7, 2004 9:47 PM

That was really funny - I think that's the first time I have laughed in the last day and a half. It has been 2 days in real time but I lost a day travelling to Norway. And on the plane ride over there were several hours of my life I'd like to have back.

And speaking of boobies - over here in Norway there is a show totally like Survivor called Robinson - and the girls care not when their tops come off when they celebrate their wins!

Posted by: Sue at November 8, 2004 4:52 AM

Does this mean I can refer to you as Buffy and Thad? I quite like it.

Posted by: DeAnn at November 8, 2004 7:04 AM

Stinkerbell, that sounds suspiciously like the chicken dance. and Thad, if Buffy let you watch boobies without covering your eyes, then I would say she deserves to have the hummer fixed. Or better yet, just buy her a new lexus.

Posted by: wlfldy at November 8, 2004 8:01 AM

Hee hee, Buffy and Thad. That's the sort of mischief the mister and I get up to.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 8, 2004 9:00 AM

We always use Harry Potter characters on our nametags. "we" being "me" because i think i'm funny.

Posted by: Zoot at November 8, 2004 9:15 AM