December 15, 2004

Brain Fart

Taken from an actual, real-life voice mail message I left in my manic wake five minutes ago. Some information has been sanitized for your protection...

Hi, this is Chris Smithson, Jr, III from the Bermuda office. I wanted to let you know that you're responsible for reporting your information by 4:00 this afternoon. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 555...

....

....

...555-5555. Yes. Hello. I'm sorry. I seem to have forgotten my own phone number. Goodbye.

Posted by Chris at December 15, 2004 1:10 PM
Comments

I've done that ... a lot. I don't seem to call myself all that often so I have trouble keeping my own number at the top of my to-remember list.

Posted by: LOUP at December 15, 2004 1:21 PM

So... now you're a Jr AND a Third? Pretty impressive. But don't feel bad, I forget my own number all the time.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at December 15, 2004 1:37 PM

I've done that too, and always with my work number. I don't mind if someone believes I'm an idiot in my personal life, but I'd really like to keep that thought from infiltrating my professional life.

Posted by: Bond Girl at December 15, 2004 1:39 PM

Don't you hate it when you're leaving a message for someone for work purposes and you start leaving your home phone #?

Posted by: :: jozjozjoz :: at December 15, 2004 1:41 PM

I've not only fogotton my number, I've also sometimes forgotton how to spell my own last name. For only a few seconds, but still...

Posted by: Oliquig at December 15, 2004 1:52 PM

heheh I have been at my new company for seven months and I still have to look at the little piece of paper by my phone to remember the name of my current company. That piece of paper has my phone number on it as well, so I don't forget it.

Posted by: girl at December 15, 2004 2:02 PM

Dude, I've had days like that. Or I'll do that when I'm changing my voice mail greeting to a "I'm on vacation - call someone else, suckas!" sort of message. Unless I write it down, and read it.

Yes. I have to pre-write my voice mail greetings before I record them, or else I get confused and lost and things like the above happen.

Posted by: Dawnie at December 15, 2004 2:04 PM

i've been at albertsons for over two years, and sometimes i still start to answer the phone, "Thank you for calling Winn Dixie.." lol. It's even better when I go to answer the phone and hit the PAGE button, so I thank everyone shopping in the store for claling albertsons. lol. that's always fun.

Posted by: Manda at December 15, 2004 2:09 PM

LOL...one of those days, huh?

Posted by: Randi at December 15, 2004 2:16 PM

I used to answer phones at one of the first companies I worked for. It took me MONTHS to break myself of the habit of answering the phone at home with "XYZ Construction, how can I help you?".

And the phone number amnesia? I just laugh it off and say I don't call myself that often.

Posted by: Amy at December 15, 2004 2:24 PM

so nice to know i'm not the only one who leaves messages and blanks on their phone number. :) though, for some reason i only tend to forget my phone number when leaving a message on a work superior's voice mail, never with a same-level lackey.

Posted by: loon at December 15, 2004 2:35 PM

LOL. I've done that. Here's the thing though, my current cell phone number is very close to my ex's cell phone number and also very similar to my parents home number and my old home number. I have given people my old home number, my parents home number and my ex's cell phone number by mistake. I've also received many a wrong number on my cell phone from people trying to reach my ex. Which is one of the reasons he's my ex as girl's calling me looking for my then husband...well...let's just say that kinda stuff holds up in court. lol

Posted by: groovebunny at December 15, 2004 2:36 PM

I do that sometimes.
I mean, it's not like you call yourself all the time so you're allowed to draw a blank there. ;)

Posted by: Kitty at December 15, 2004 3:11 PM

Hehe, I do that all the time at work. Sometimes I even go into my phone answering spiel when I hear the beep to leave someone a message. That is embarassing when you realize midway you need to leave a message not answer a call.

Posted by: Carla at December 15, 2004 3:41 PM

Well, maybe he never calls himself. In order to eliminate the chance of doing that myself, I always look at the phone number posted on the phone as I recite it. I've only had the same work phone number for 13 years. Maybe someday I'll feel confident enough to give the number without peeking!

Posted by: cassie-b at December 15, 2004 3:55 PM

i guess forgetting the number is better than giving out the wrong one. it took me a while to figure out why the clients never called me back!

Posted by: monique at December 15, 2004 4:36 PM

Wait, your last name is Smithson? Really?

Posted by: Broad at December 15, 2004 5:06 PM

ahahah *points at you and laughs* Not that I have ever done that before...ever..*ahem* Yeah okay..maybe I have.

Posted by: Lauren at December 15, 2004 6:09 PM

lol - I hate when I do that!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at December 16, 2004 12:26 AM

You get over fourty like me, and people start calling them senior moments ewwwww!!!

Posted by: Nina at December 16, 2004 12:37 AM

am buzzed.

that's all.

heh.

Posted by: amy at December 16, 2004 12:47 AM

You did NOT!!

Seriously, if you did, you just made my day. Because that's freaking hilarious.

Posted by: DeAnn at December 16, 2004 4:45 AM

Wuhl, yeah. Like how often do you call yourself at work?

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at December 16, 2004 10:29 AM

Thank gawd it isnt just me. Then again *I* have an excuse (several, actually...you're welcome to borrow them when you take my Aunt Ethel)

Posted by: Lily at December 16, 2004 11:04 AM

Wahhhh, I need my cactus fix in the morning & you're depriving me!!! Hope things aren't too crazy around your way!

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at December 16, 2004 11:37 AM

I have left my my work number as my FAX number. I HATE it when I pick up the phone and get that god-forsaken high-pitched squeal in my ear. Then I realize, duh, I did it to myself.

Posted by: bd at December 16, 2004 12:02 PM