December 28, 2004

Get Out of My Head!

Don't you absolutely hate it when you have The Beach Boys' "Kokomo" stuck in your head? Especially when you can't remember any of the words so you just fill in the blanks with random cities and dirty words? I hate that.

But on the plus side, I'm working from home today. There were about 10 people (and that's generous) in the office yesterday so I'm guessing I won't be missed. And I'm digging the fact that I'm sitting here in my jeans and a sweatshirt as opposed to the whole suit/tie thing...

Posted by Chris at December 28, 2004 7:57 AM
Comments

Aww, man! I know the words to that song! I'm going to be sitting at work singing to myself, and to top it all off, that horrid video with John Stamos playing the bongos is going to be on loop in my head! Thanks a lot ;)

Posted by: Daria at December 28, 2004 8:09 AM

Well, I didn't hate it until now. Oh well, at least it will displace "Vertigo" that has been in residence in my head for 2 days now. It's at the point of interfering with my concentration while on the phone.

Posted by: Busy mom at December 28, 2004 8:22 AM

Jeans and a sweatshirt? Come on! That's not the attire of a true "bathrober"! I've been doing the work at home thing for four+ years now and I can tell you that pajamas, boxer shorts (for guys) or a long shirt and underwear (for girls) are the dress of the real work at homers (read, bathrobers :).

Posted by: Rae at December 28, 2004 8:39 AM

I was Kokomo-free until I read your post.

Thanks, really.

Posted by: amber at December 28, 2004 8:59 AM

haahahaha. I did a lip synch skit with some friends of mine in like, 5th grade to that song. rofl. it was part of a talent show. *lol* since when lip synching is a talent? i don't know, but we thought we were cool standing up on stage in our bathing suits, during a school day. *rofL*

Posted by: Manda at December 28, 2004 9:01 AM

Actually, the songs I get stuck in my head are kids songs, WAY more annoying I think! I'm home today too, not out of choice, but because Princess is still not feeling good. Ah well, off to the doctors I go :-)

Posted by: Nina at December 28, 2004 9:13 AM

Thanks! Now it's in my head.

Posted by: dewnut at December 28, 2004 9:14 AM

You know, I was all set to come up with a better song to put in your head, and now KoKoMo has taken residence in my brain and WILL NOT LEAVE. Thanks, Chris!

Oooh, here's one: "Christmas Wrapping," by the Waitresses. Here's another: "Toy Soldiers," by Martika. Take THAT!

Posted by: Coleen at December 28, 2004 9:26 AM

oh, i'm so going to kill you.

Posted by: laura at December 28, 2004 9:31 AM

Whenever that happens to me I just force myself to hum "mmm bop" until "kokomo" goes away.

Posted by: LOUP at December 28, 2004 9:40 AM

Chris, you asked for it! It's in my head now. (That and John Stamos lip-synching!)

Aruba, jamaica ooo I wanna take you
Bermuda, bahama come on pretty mama
Key largo, montego baby why don’t we go
Jamaica

Off the florida keys
There’s a place called kokomo
That’s where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Tropical drink melting in your hand
We’ll be falling in love
To the rhythm of a steel drum band
Down in kokomo

Aruba, jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To bermuda, bahama come on pretty mama
Key largo, montego baby why don’t we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to kokomo
We’ll get there fast
And then we’ll take it slow
That’s where we wanna go
Way down to kokomo

To martinique, that monserrat mystique

We’ll put out to sea
And we’ll perfect our chemistry
By and by we’ll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight
Cocktails and moonlit nights
That dreamy look in your eye
Give me a tropical contact high
Way down in kokomo

Aruba, jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To bermuda, bahama come on pretty mama
Key largo, montego baby why don’t we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to kokomo
We’ll get there fast
And then we’ll take it slow
That’s where we wanna go
Way down to kokomo

Port au prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows
A little place like kokomo
Now if you wanna go
And get away from it all
Go down to kokomo

Aruba, jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To bermuda, bahama come on pretty mama
Key largo, montego baby why don’t we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to kokomo
We’ll get there fast
And then we’ll take it slow
That’s where we wanna go
Way down to kokomo

Aruba, jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To bermuda, bahama come on pretty mama
Key largo, montego baby why don’t we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to kokomo

Posted by: Scarlett Cyn at December 28, 2004 10:07 AM

Enjoy your day working from home! :)

Posted by: groovebunny at December 28, 2004 10:12 AM

So, I'm thinkin' the ideal solution is a set of sweats with the tie silk-screened right on there.

Posted by: The Viking at December 28, 2004 10:14 AM

Out yet?

Posted by: wn at December 28, 2004 10:44 AM

at least they're letting us have casual day every day this week so I'm sitting here in my jeans and new "Goddess" shirt from Caesars Palace reading blogs and doing crossword puzzles. And taking long lunches and leaving early. Ahh, holiday week.

Posted by: kalisah at December 28, 2004 11:01 AM

Key largo....montego...
You. BASTARD!
Happy working from home day!

Posted by: Granola Spice at December 28, 2004 11:27 AM

OK, I'm intentionally SKIPPING the lyrics...I dont need that curse. What I'm still puzzled by is "WORK" ?!?!?!? ew. its the holidays, dude.

Posted by: Lily at December 28, 2004 12:44 PM

You do these things to yourself, you know. :-P

Posted by: Bond Girl at December 28, 2004 12:51 PM

The harmonies in that song can NOT be beaten. I love singing the background vocals because that's what truly makes the song.
But yeah, I hate when the song is stuck in my head - especially when I have to turn it into a filthy limmerick.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at December 28, 2004 1:22 PM

cool that you get to work at home :) have a great day chris ...

Posted by: Rosie at December 28, 2004 1:24 PM

*sob* I hate that song, and yet now it will NOT LEAVE MY HEAD!!!

Posted by: Mary Jo at December 28, 2004 1:56 PM

I wish I could work from home!

Aruba
Jamaica
Oooh I wanna take ya

Thanks, thanks a lot for the song!

Posted by: Jeff A at December 28, 2004 3:47 PM

I'll see you one Kokomo and raise you a Theme Song to Golden Girls.

Posted by: Zoot at December 28, 2004 4:04 PM

But men in suits are just so dang handsome!

Posted by: Heather at December 29, 2004 12:45 AM

And I thought I had it bad........Korn's rendition of "Word Up" is permanently playing round and round in my head. Even in the middle of the night. I think they planted subliminal messages in that rendition. I really do. But at least it isn't "Kokomo". Yikes! My son's Gifted Science Teacher told the class that if you have a song imbedded in your head, just hum the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme song and the song will go away. (Huh, teach'?) I TRIED it. Didn't work.

Posted by: Julie at December 29, 2004 9:39 AM

Here I am trying to be a good blog reader by catching up on all of the posts I've missed and YOU? Go and get a Beach Boys' song stuck in my head. You should be ashamed of yourself!!

Posted by: DeAnn at January 4, 2005 12:43 AM