December 22, 2004

Rapping Bout Wrapping

I'm sitting here watching TiVoed episodes of The Twilight Zone (the old black and white variety, not the newish version) while wrapping gifts. And its just struck me like a revelation of Biblical proportions - I don't like wrapping gifts. At all. I'm also not all that good at it. Sure, I can design a network for a Fortune 500 company and play a mean guitar riff but I can't wrap a piece of paper around a box to save my life.

Posted by Chris at December 22, 2004 5:59 PM
Comments

I LOVE buying and giving the gifts, but the whole wrapping thing? Yeah, not so much. Whoever invented the gift bag should be made into a saint!

Posted by: zanie at December 22, 2004 6:08 PM

Can't wrap a box to save your live? That's okay, we'll all still love you anyway. I'm just about done and this year I've wrapped every present with the exception of sticking two jackets in huge gift bags. :)

Posted by: groovebunny at December 22, 2004 6:17 PM

I can wrap things.. I just can't make it pretty. *grin*

Posted by: Manda at December 22, 2004 7:19 PM

two words: gift bags.....

seriously, that's my secret.....

hope you are enjoying your day off....i love how everyone else seems to be watching xmas classics and you are watching the twilight zone....

Posted by: miss macy at December 22, 2004 7:48 PM

I LOATHE wrapping. I'm not good at it either - my paper gets crinkled and the folded up sides are never even and I suck at doing that one long swipe with the scissors to cut the paper so I have to cut it one slice at a time and the paper comes out all jagged. Ugh. It's horrible. So trust me, I feel your pain. Good luck.

At least you're getting in the Christmas spirit with those old Twilight Zone episodes!

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at December 22, 2004 8:05 PM

My mother hated gift wrapping - but she was good at it. The day I was old enough to learn she taught me how to do it. This made me feel "helpful". Then one year I used those skills to turn a profit by opening up a gift wrapping kiosk in a mall - I made a ton of cash that Christmas - but now? I can't stand wrapping!

Posted by: Marie at December 22, 2004 8:06 PM

I know, I hate wrapping too! In my family all the women sit around wrapping together on xmas eve, and everyone else does theirs beautifully, with hidden tape and curly ribbons and even, tucked-under ends. My packages end up looking like Pigpen wrapped them, and then I feel like even less or a girl than usual. Argh!

Posted by: supine at December 22, 2004 9:36 PM

Don't worry - no one really expects guys to wrap their presents well. The inability to "wrap a piece of paper around a box" is just part of your charm. :)
When I lived at home, I always had to wrap my Dad's presents for him and poor Ted's gifts look as if they've been attacked by rabid badgers.

Posted by: Michelle at December 22, 2004 10:38 PM

Gift bag em! It's easier and faster.

I'm proud of myself, I only used 1 gift bag this year. The rest of the presents are wrapped in good ol fashioned paper. They're not as pretty as Supine described her family's (hidden tape and what not) but I think I did a decent job.

Posted by: Kitty at December 23, 2004 9:22 AM

I wish they did Tivo here... I heard this story about a gadget that you can use with Tivo to burn DVDs ofshows. HOW I WOULD WANT THAT...

Three words, two times and one thrown in for fun:
Law and Order
Sex and the City (I dont count the but I do count and- why, why you asking??)
and
Coupling (or if you give more words, Are You Being Served!)

The dreams...

Posted by: stinkerbell at December 23, 2004 11:15 AM

Shit, I can't do any of that stuff. I'm a loser!

SNOWBALL!

Posted by: Jazzy at December 23, 2004 11:30 AM

I usually pay the extra money and have the store do it! Giggle And "I" say I am an artist! Shesh!

Posted by: Gypsy at December 31, 2004 2:53 AM