December 20, 2004

Whirlwind and Windchill

I have a number of things going on today, all of them meetings. Yes, I seem to have managed to schedule four meetings back to back starting at 9:30. This, my friends, sucks. At least I only have a two day week! But still? That whole meeting thing sucks. So, allow me to catch you up on a few things before I depart...

Last night, we had a little family get-together. When I say little, I mean big. My inlaws are flying out to the West coast for the holidays so we did a little early Christmas thing. The evening started off weird. We had a snow-thunderstorm. It was seriously wild. Then it got insanely cold. Then my extended football and money-obsessed in-laws (the family of my brother-in-law's wife) arrived and it got colder. Regardless, much fun and food was had by all.

Sometime overnight, the greater Washington DC metro area was moved to the North Pole. While we're now closer to Santa, its also effing cold. When I woke up to feed the cats this morning (dressed in my pjs and a t-shirt which was hardly adequate) I checked the outside temperature. It said 8. Just 8. And the windchill is below zero.

So, I'm off to meetings. But first, to smoke a cigarette. Because I'm stupid and addicted like that (until the New Year, that is...that's quitting time). If you don't hear from me by this afternoon, please send a search party. I might be frozen in front of the building a la Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.

Posted by Chris at December 20, 2004 9:13 AM
Comments

Okay this is the part where I should stop complaining about the weather out here. We've been having Santa Ana winds(which basically means hot winds) out here and it's been in the 80's. It's not supposed to be in the 80's in December. :( Anyways, hope your meetings go well and try to stay warm!

Posted by: groovebunny at December 20, 2004 9:34 AM

I know what you mean! It got freekin cold here overnight too... YUK!

Dew

Posted by: dewnut at December 20, 2004 9:55 AM

Hey, don't go sticking your tongue on the metal fence post either.

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at December 20, 2004 10:01 AM

I know! I couldn't believe it last night when I felt that cold air coming in and then this morning? Out of control cold. I can't function like this!

Good luck in your meetings and Wooohooo! for a 2 day week!

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at December 20, 2004 10:15 AM

Mmm, sounds like a super fun morning. At least you have a short week!

Stay warm up there. If you died from hypothermia, I'd be bored out of my mind here at work. (And then what would I do? Work? yeesh.)

Posted by: Kitty at December 20, 2004 10:22 AM

ha! it's supposedly going to get to near 70 here today. *g*

Posted by: Manda at December 20, 2004 11:23 AM

I'm quitting new year's also - you aren't alone.

8 degrees? Jebus that is cold. I won't whine about it dipping into the 30's here in South Texas anymore. 8. Geeeeez. Brrrrrrrr!!!

Posted by: Sabine at December 20, 2004 11:37 AM

Jon in Michigan: Get a load of the whiners. For people like us who actually DO walk uphill both ways in 20 inches of snow, we should be showing no sympathy!

(Although the 9 degrees yesterday in Chicago did suck pretty hard.)

Posted by: Broad at December 20, 2004 11:39 AM

Yeah it is bloody freezing isn't it??? Now why couldn't my county get some snow??

Posted by: Pixie at December 20, 2004 11:45 AM

Yeah, it was 78 here yesterday. Seventy. Eight. That is not right, my friends. I grew up back East, where it is your god-given right to freeze to death in December. How am I supposed to successfully wear my cute winter clothes when it is 78, I ask you? Ah well, heading back to PA on Wednesday. I'm sure I'll get my fill of the freeze then.

Posted by: Heather at December 20, 2004 11:49 AM

yes, we're having a cold snap today too, its dropping down to 76. ha ha ha!

I love the 80s, but its just not Christmassy when its 80+ out!

Posted by: amy at December 20, 2004 11:51 AM

Oh no, frozen like Jack Nicholson? Just don't go into the hedge maze and you should be okay.

I feel you, DC is horrendously cold today. Everyone was walking to work backwards to block off the wind, so of course my boss is sending me off to run errands for him. Of course.

Posted by: supine at December 20, 2004 11:57 AM

I feel your frostbitten pain! It's 11 degrees here. If you wear thick gloves and wrap a scarf around your head mummy-style, it makes going out to have that cigarette almost bearable!!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at December 20, 2004 12:19 PM

I feel your pain, brother! In Chicago, it's about 5 degrees with a wind chill of -15. Brr!

Posted by: Kristi at December 20, 2004 12:20 PM

Wow. A White Christmas. I am so jealous.
I am sitting in 68 degree weather, hardly cold enough for a jacket, and surrounded by dirt and cacti.
Not much for putting one into the Christmas mood.

Posted by: Jade at December 20, 2004 12:40 PM

I'm thinking that an air temperature of 8*, with a wind chill in the range of Negative Too freakin cold to contemplate, is a WONDERFUL reason to contemplate quitting smoking.

You'll freeze yer butt off if you're outside smoking today.

(And no, this was not sponsored by Mrs. Cactus *G*)

Posted by: Kellie at December 20, 2004 12:46 PM

I think DC is delightful...except when it feels like Maine (and you dont get to ski). And what is it about real jobs turning into meetings...sounds like management hell. You sound like the wife is EverybodyLovesRaymond (inlaw hell) meets Dilbert (office crap) meets that dentist in Rudolph (stuck working in a cold place). No good...there's an untapped creative mind being held prisoner there...

Posted by: Lily at December 20, 2004 1:27 PM

STAY SANE!

Posted by: Swt GA HunnyB at December 20, 2004 1:31 PM

had the same nasty artic air come by NYC as well. Too effing cold out there. Stay warm!

I have to comment on the amount of meetings seem to attend for your job. INSANITY! I am a meeting planner and I don't attend as many meetings as you do!!

Posted by: bd at December 20, 2004 1:40 PM

I'm in Canada and wondering whether I'll actually get a white Christmas. There's something inherently wrong with that. Also, The Shining is one of those movies that people always allude to and there's always lil tribute bits in movies, and I've never seen it.

Posted by: Heather at December 20, 2004 1:47 PM

good luck with your meetings today....

so if i started complaining that it was 57 degrees in my california apartment this morning, no one would listen???

Posted by: miss macy at December 20, 2004 5:04 PM

Yesterday it was 70, today it's going to be 50. Tomorrow we're going to have 3 - 6 inches of accumulated snow. Oklahoma is all about variety.

Posted by: wlfldy at December 21, 2004 7:45 AM

a la Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.

Oh, great, now you've ruined it for me! :)

Posted by: Natalie at December 23, 2004 4:54 PM