January 13, 2005

A Once and Future Dumbass

Wow...I've got nothin' tonight except a very bizarre conversation with my wife about a misplaced camera that I don't care to repeat.

Well, no. I take that back. I didn't think it possible that you could be so privileged, so educated and so "refined" yet this stupid. Initially, I thought calls to force him to visit Auschwitz were a little harsh...but I think I'm actually starting to agree. He fucked up...royally.

Posted by Chris at January 13, 2005 7:58 PM
Comments

whatta dipshit. screw the royals!!

Posted by: Maureen at January 13, 2005 9:01 PM

I think he absolutely should go and do the tour. I have friends who went and I know they were deeply affected. For myself, I'm not sure if I could handle it; I'm extremely sensitive to stuff like that.

Posted by: Heather at January 13, 2005 9:18 PM

I say send him to a concentration camp for a day and make him stand in one of the gas chambers for several minutes. I went to Dachau when I was 13 and that was the most humbling experience in my life - all these decades later and you could still smell the death. Perhaps then he'll have a little more respect for heartbreak and devastation a swastika symbolizes, and the damage inflicted by those who wore it.

Posted by: Heather at January 13, 2005 9:30 PM

LOve the puns there Chris hehehe!

Posted by: Nina at January 13, 2005 10:59 PM

First day with the new brain there...

Posted by: Curator at January 13, 2005 11:43 PM

He did, but he's young. And has no taste. I don't think it should be such a big deal. Send him on the field trip and be done with it.

Posted by: JaG@work at January 14, 2005 4:33 AM

I would tend to agree with JaG. Not that I'm saying that he should be automatically let off the hook too easy, but he is only 20 yrs old and he's not exactly led a normal life. He's 3rd in line....I mean how fucked up would our own perspective on life be if we grew up like that. He'll mature and learn respect for others, just like we all did. Think of the bonehead things we did/said/opined when we were his age. I shudder

Posted by: wn at January 14, 2005 7:43 AM

Interestingly, the swastika was a symbol of peace in the 1920s. It is found in many quilts of the time. Part of the amazing way Hitler managed to draw so many people to his "cause". Doesn't excuse the young prince, but fascinating none-the-less.

Posted by: SueBec at January 14, 2005 9:38 AM

I see where what he did is royally screwed up. Again, look at the source. The kid has never had to deal with any concequences of his actions, ever, and now that he is getting older, his actions are going to be bolder and seem even less thought out. He's never be taught to empathize, take responsibility, or the impact his actions could have. I say send him to the camps. I doubt it will do much good coming from a kid as priviledged as he, but ya never know. Plus the kid has to deal with the circumstances around his mum's death, the rumors that the royal family actually had something to do with it. That would give anybody a sense of betrayal and a need for retribution. I am not condoning. I am simply stating the obvious.

Posted by: Jade at January 14, 2005 10:03 AM

You know, it's amazing to me how this kid found it to be such a good idea - and his 'people' didn't do anything to talk him out of it. Hell, even [most] skinheads keep their swasticas covered up in public. What a little spoiled, rich, shithead with major attention issues.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at January 16, 2005 5:44 PM