January 4, 2005

How Insane...

I just plugged my iPod in to get some tunes going this morning (Mogwai, in case you're wondering) and I looked over the music I ripped and loaded last night. Now, how insane is it that, in the same evening, I ripped Phil Collins, Iron Maiden, Flaming Lips, Deathcab for Cutie and Whitesnake? There's ecclectic then there are multiple personalities...

Also, how insane is it that I woke up with "Eep Op Ork" running through my head? Yes, the song from the Jetsons...as performed by the Violent Femmes. And I hate the Violent Femmes.

One last thing...how insane is it that I've managed to make it, um, three full days without a cigarette? And no one's died...yet...

Posted by Chris at January 4, 2005 7:19 AM
Comments

Cheers! Three days is THE amount of time to lose the physical addiction. Now the battle for the mental. Good luck, you can do it!

Posted by: wlfldy at January 4, 2005 8:28 AM

Good morning, Chris!

Congrats on hitting the three-day mark. I'm really pulling for you to succeed in that particular endeavor.

In other news...I hate to be the one to break it to you, but...I'm pretty sure all of us that come around here on a regular basis already knew you were pretty much insane.

I'm a little frightened to hear how much you've spent at iTunes so far. I mean...it's only $.99 a song right?!

Posted by: Joe at January 4, 2005 8:31 AM

How is it that you can hate the Femmes?

Posted by: amber at January 4, 2005 8:38 AM

Whoohoo! We need to celebrate! The first three days, that's the physical addiction! Now it's all in yer head buddy....but hey, if you can convince yourself the reason you woke up this morning with "Eep Op Ork" running through your head is directly linked to your addiction to cigs, it might be easier to get over! lol

Posted by: Jade at January 4, 2005 8:44 AM

HA! Hahahaha... Eep Op Ork. How insane. How funny. How cute. :D I love that song! And your tastes run as eclectic as mine do. Yay for us!

Posted by: SG at January 4, 2005 8:50 AM

Maybe you could keep a counter here. Especially next to the Tsunami Relief bit? It'd inspire us all. I'm really glad you're doing it. My pediatrician informed my mother that the good chunk of my ENT (ear nose throat) problems stemmed from her smoking while she was pregnant. You're already being a good dad! :)

Posted by: alektra at January 4, 2005 9:14 AM

Yay! Congratulations! You can totally keep up the non-smoky. Just think of how much more money you'll have to spend on donuts! And music!

Posted by: Dawnie at January 4, 2005 9:33 AM

let's see... so much in one little post!
i love Mogwai! saw them with the Cure and just loved them. a favorite mix of mine is Mogwai, Interpol, Metallica (AJFA), Rush and Sevendust.
How can you not like the Femmes? i mean, old Femmes... blister in the sun, classic stuff.
Congrats on Day 3!

Posted by: monique at January 4, 2005 9:36 AM

I quit 2 years ago. Probably the hardest thing I have ever done. I applaud you and your efforts - keep up the good work!

Posted by: debby at January 4, 2005 9:37 AM

Happy New Year to both you and the Fish. Cool idea for the cafe press. MD and I will most definetly support that. Mind if I put a link on my blog?

Posted by: wn at January 4, 2005 10:02 AM

Chris, I am right there with you on the smoking thing. I couldn't smoke in NYC, then I came home and had two farewell cigarettes on New Years Eve and now... no smoking. Can I tell you how much I enjoyed smoking? I have never been physically addicted to them, because I have always been able to go a day or two without one, but mentally that is a different story. Because I really enjoyed the feel of a cigarette in my hands and the process of smoking one.

Posted by: goodsnake at January 4, 2005 10:20 AM

Good for you Chris! Yeeha! Now - off to Cafe Press...you are full of good things and it's only January 4th! Keep it coming dude!

Posted by: Sue at January 4, 2005 10:36 AM

Congrats on the 3 day mark!!
I know it's hard, but like everyone said, think of all the money you'll save, not to mention the amount of energy you'll get back. I was like goodsnake - it wasn't so much the nicotine, but the ritual of smoking that I missed.

If anything, have Mrs. Cactus play a Violent Femmes song any time you try to light up... ;)
Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Kitty at January 4, 2005 10:50 AM

dude! Me too on the cigarettes! Whoot! Keep it up!

Posted by: kalisah at January 4, 2005 10:56 AM

Good job on the no smoking, I'm rooting for you! *sings "Eep Op Ork" the rest of the day*

Posted by: Busy Mom at January 4, 2005 11:08 AM

I'm looking at December 31 myself, Chris. We can do it!

Posted by: Coleen at January 4, 2005 11:38 AM

Insane in the membrane... Insane in the brain! (I'm so sure you'll be adding Cypress Hill to you iPod tonight) Congrats on the non-smokiness!

Posted by: bmh at January 4, 2005 11:42 AM

First of all I THOUGHT YOU HAD GOOD TASTE IN MUSIC?! How can you HATE the Violent Femmes? Well, technically, I don't love them either. But it just seems wrong to hate them...
Then again, I hate Bruce Springsteen (Dodges tomatoes)

Good luck with the quitting smoking thing. It's brutal, but well worth it! You'll be here to blog for many, many years which benefits us all :)

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at January 4, 2005 12:50 PM

three days without a cigarette? that's pretty damn good!!

but phil collins?????

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at January 4, 2005 1:07 PM

Ok. You like Phil Collins, but not the Femmes? I hope you've at least been buying vintage Phil Collins and not the new emasculated-Phil-Collins-on-Prozac crap. I'm so disillusioned.

Posted by: Lisa at January 4, 2005 1:35 PM

Woo! Three days! That is awesome. I, on the other hand, have gone juuuussstt over three hours without one. Eh, there's always next year, right?

Posted by: Heather at January 4, 2005 2:00 PM

Good job on staying away from the poison, Chris. Dying from lung cancer and hacking up chunk of lung cheese every day for 20 years, would really suck.

Stay strong! You can break that habit. We'll help. :)

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at January 4, 2005 3:35 PM

Congrats on three days, and here's to many more! *raises her Mini-Wheats*

Posted by: Heather at January 4, 2005 4:46 PM

Good job with the whole smoking thing! You're not going to die, hehe...

Posted by: Jennie at January 4, 2005 5:10 PM

Go Chris!! You know it takes the body just 3 days to get over the addiction of nicotine. The rest of it is breaking the habit. I'm rooting for ya! *gets pom-poms out* :)

Posted by: Anakalia at January 4, 2005 5:30 PM

I'm gonna start reading the comments before I make mine - you'd think there was an echo in here!

Posted by: Anakalia at January 4, 2005 5:32 PM

HNY!!! and people who rock out to ac dc, whitesnake, etc always like the collins. its a rule.......

Posted by: minnow at January 4, 2005 6:00 PM

Three whole days! Congrats! Now you can make it another. And Another! And Another! I quit almost 3 years ago after almost 10. You can do it!

Posted by: Jazzy at January 4, 2005 6:59 PM

Way to go with the non-smoking thing! This New Year's marked 10 yrs ofr me - if I can do it - you can too! Congrats!

Posted by: Marie at January 4, 2005 8:31 PM

I too have eclectic tastes! and good for you with the cigarettes :-)

Posted by: Nina at January 4, 2005 9:43 PM

I personally like all your personalities! *grin*

Posted by: Gypsy at January 5, 2005 11:07 PM