January 29, 2005

Music Meme: It's Goin' Around

I gots tagged by Gweny and Katherine. So, here goes...

Random 10 (from a random iPod shuffle):

1. Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole
2. Guns N Roses - Perfect Crime
3. Keane - Bedshaped
4. Radiohead - Electioneering
5. The Police - Man in a Suitcase
6. Belle & Sebastian - Dirty Dream Number Two
7. The Fire Theft - Chain
8. Gomez - Get Myself Arrested
9. Our Lady Peace - Is Anybody Home?
10. Robyn Hitchcock - The President (demo)

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?

7,360. But I haven't ripped as many CDs as I'd like to have. I've got stacks to go.

The last CD you bought is (I'll give you the last few, since I can't be sure):

Low - The Great Destroyer
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake Its Morning
Deathcab For Cutie - The Photo Album
Grandaddy - Sumday

What is the song you last listened to before this message?

Aimee Mann - The Scientist (live Coldplay cover that, coincidentally, I mentioned to Gweny yesterday)

Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

Led Zeppelin - Thank You
Aimee Mann - Invisible Ink
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Joe Satriani - Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness
The Fire Theft - Rubber Band

Gweny's addition, which is like the hardest question ever: Name three artists/bands you adore:

Genesis - I'm being honest here, okay? When I was 12 years old I saw them and they blew me away. Their pre-1980, pre-top 40 stuff is singularly responsible for getting me into music. And while they have a high, lasting cheese-factor, I still dig their music for what it gave to me.

Joe Satriani - Wow, a standard guitarist's answer. But Satriani was a pioneer and did a lot for the popularity of instrumental, guitar-based music and musicians. Plus, the dude's a wicked guitarist.

Pearl Jam - I was big into the Seattle scene...Mother Love Bone, Green River, Temple of the Dog not to mention Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Mudhoney and others. When Pearl Jam released Ten, it was the perfect album. And sure, they never made another one like it but they've been brave enough to abandon the formula and try new things. Excellent band.

Who are you gonna pass this stick to (three persons and why)?
Anne because she's got great and ecclectic taste in music and she's always steering me towards something new and different.

Supine because I'm trying to get a handle on the kind of stuff she digs...and I have the feeling she's got great taste in music.

RockStar Mommy...well, duh, she's a rock star! And? She's got awesome taste!

Posted by Chris at January 29, 2005 11:59 AM
Comments

It won't be much longer before the old Seattle scene makes it way to some "Grunge Hour" on a late night radio show. Ah. . .the 90's. . .miss that stuff. . .heh.

Posted by: Colby at January 29, 2005 12:44 PM

Magnificent answers, man! I downloaded the Aimee Mann Scientist cover. Thanks for the suggestion. The cover I downloaded of Ani DiFranco and Aimee Mann doing When the Doves cry is also amazing.

And I like Genesis too. Not only when I was 12, but still today.

Posted by: Gweny at January 29, 2005 1:38 PM

nice site..came across ya looking for Billy Ocean's greatest hits on cassette =)
didn't find it =(
but nice site! =)

Posted by: Sasha at January 29, 2005 9:54 PM

Hi I came to your site after reading RockStar Mommy's Music Meme...where she links to you. I have spent aquite a while here delving through your blog...and am going to continue to visit.

How I loved the Grunge music of the 90's!!!

I, too, was in a band at school...an all girl band and we called ourselves TigerTiger (hmmmm...can you tell that I was in high school in the 80's when a band called DuranDuran were around???? LOL) Love the imagery of your band name...and the history of your band name....and I am glad that your teenage band-member managed to survive his demons....

Will continue to visit :-)

Posted by: PurpleBeany at January 30, 2005 3:34 AM

have you listened to the bright eyes album yet? if so, what did you think and/or what other artist(s) could you compare him to? i only recently heard of him and am curious...

Posted by: Priscilla at January 30, 2005 1:52 PM

Coooool! I'm off to come up with some answers now :) Flattered that you think I have great (and not simply insane) taste in music.

Posted by: Anne at January 30, 2005 5:50 PM

that's my FAVORITE Gomez song! Woo!

Posted by: granola at January 30, 2005 7:13 PM

Amazingly enough, that's more songs than I thought you'd have! ;) Thanks for playing!

Posted by: Katherine at January 31, 2005 8:07 PM

"Belle & Sebastian - Dirty Dream Number Two"

One of my favorites! I listened to that on the way to work today. It has turned out to be a fabulous day!

Posted by: ms.quilty at February 2, 2005 5:00 PM