January 27, 2005

Opinions Please

Good morning and happy Thursday! I need your opinions on something...

Hypothetical Scenario:
Pat just got home from work and is thirsty after a long day of breaking up underground crime syndicates and preventing the destruction of the Earth as we know it by supernatural forces only Pat can combat as a super-secret agent. Pat heads into the kitchen and opens the fridge. Low and behold, there's Pat's favorite beverage, in a half-gallon sized container. Now, Pat's the only person who enjoys this particular beverage so instead of getting a glass, Pat opens the bottle and drinks right from the container. Regardless of Pat's status as a hip, stealthy spy, this is:

a. acceptable anytime (well, not in front of guests or the Queen or anything)
b. completely unacceptable anytime
c. acceptable only if Pat is alone
d. acceptable only if Pat has just emerged from the Mojave Desert after months undercover crime-fighting.

Posted by Chris at January 27, 2005 7:37 AM
Comments

Am I gonna get in trouble with Beth for this?

Okay, what Pat does for a living has nothing to do with the equation. The real question is, how many people live in Pat's house? Do they all know he is the only one to drink this beverage? If everyone knows and everyone is onboard, he can do whatever he damn well pleases. If someone else wants to drink that beverage, perhaps Pat should get two containers and write his name on one. OR, they can drink from that container, knowing they'll end up with Pat's cooties and, trying to be courteous, not drink the last of it without replacing it. Kinda like not smoking someone's last cigarette. 'Cause that shit is COLD, people.

Posted by: Stacy at January 27, 2005 7:50 AM

I say slurp away, Pat. You only live once and its your house. It could be courteous to steer other people away from said container, in the case of guests.

However, if Pat's hypothetical wife is pregnant, all bets are off and he is screwed. SCREWED. Because the pregnant wife? Is always right. As it should be ;)

Posted by: HG at January 27, 2005 8:04 AM

i agree with Stacy, what Pat does doesn't really matter. what Pat needs to think about before planting his lips around the top of the container is this... while he may be the only person currently in the household to enjoy that particular beverage, what if they are bestowed with a guest? does Pat simply not offer the aforementioned beverage or does Pat offer it on the condition that said guest would be sharing in his (assumed) backwash.

so, what i'm sayin' is if you're gonna hoard the blueberry juice for yourself, go ahead and drink out of the container. but if there's a chance someone else might like to partake, pour it in a glass. =)

Posted by: monique at January 27, 2005 8:08 AM

Pat needs to take lessons from my children. *Always* duck behind the fridge door when chugging directly out of the container so as not to be seen by straying eyes of pregnant woman. I mean really, at this point don't you think Pat & wife have already shared bodily fluids??? LOL

Posted by: Jade at January 27, 2005 8:09 AM

Of course what Pat does matters! The beverage could be poisoned by Pat's nemesis. Perhaps Pat should offer to share his beverage with people he doesn't much care for (ie. people who make left turns from right hand lanes, telemarketers) each time he's about to partake of the concoction. Just to be on the safe side. When in Pat's business, one can never be too safe.

Posted by: Patricia at January 27, 2005 8:21 AM

While I've never seen the issue with drinking out of the container (other than guests or the Queen as you say), I know that a lot of people do take issue with it, so I vote for c. acceptable only if Pat is alone.

Posted by: amber at January 27, 2005 8:27 AM

I'm usually of the "if alone" theory, without possibility of special drink-imbibing guests. I live alone, and yet still only drink out of the milk jug if I know I won't have company before it's gone.

Posted by: Heather at January 27, 2005 8:57 AM

If Pat is the only one who drinks it, I vote option A. As long as Pat isn't flaunting his guzzle from the gallon maneuvers, leave the poor fella alone.

Posted by: PQ at January 27, 2005 8:58 AM

Also, how odd would it be to see someone you didn't know walking down the street wearing your swag?

Posted by: Heather at January 27, 2005 8:59 AM

If there is any chance anyone else will partake in this beverage, Pat should definitely use a glass. If not, he should feel free to drink from the container.

Posted by: donna at January 27, 2005 9:00 AM

I don't think it's acceptable unless the amount left in the container is the amount Pat intends on drinking right then and there. What if Pat drinks some now, and then in 30 minutes, a guest requests whatever was in the container? Guest: "Do you have any _____?" Pat: "Why yes! I have ____, but I'm sorry, 2 days ago I drank out of it. I wasn't sick or anything. Still want some or can I offer you something else?"

Posted by: Kera at January 27, 2005 9:18 AM

I think Pat should pour the beverage in a glass, knock the glass over "accidentally" and say, "see why I drink out of the container."

Posted by: Blue at January 27, 2005 9:31 AM

I'm definitely going with A). As someone who drinks out of the container constantly, I have to back up my fellow bad-mannered superhero.

Posted by: Kristi at January 27, 2005 9:34 AM

If Pat is THE ONLY one who drinks that beverage, then it's his and he can do whatever he wants with it. But if there's a slight chance that Mrs. Pat gets thirsty and wants to sample some, he should pour a glass.

Or just do what J and I do with orange juice - we each get our own carton. Not because we're scared of our own cooties (we're married for goodness sake!) but because he likes OJ with pulp and I don't. So we have his and hers OJs and it works out nicely. As far as I know, there is no drinking out of the carton in my house. ;)

Posted by: Kitty at January 27, 2005 9:38 AM

A. Go ahead and drink.

If you happen to have guests, offer something else.

Posted by: jenorama at January 27, 2005 9:39 AM

I am in between a and b. I do it all the time chez tink, however that said- if I was with someone that it REALLY bugged I wouldnt do it in their face either.

Posted by: stinkerbell at January 27, 2005 9:44 AM

I agree with Kera, if Pat is going to drink what's left in the container then by all means drink away. I do have to say that if the conditions in option D were true then no matter how much was left in said container that Pat should also drink away. I do suggest taking to heart HG's advice about the pregnant wife always being right. ;-)

Posted by: chroniccoder at January 27, 2005 9:44 AM

Okay - I'm going with A - go ahead and drink - just don't offer it to anyone else.

Posted by: Em at January 27, 2005 10:04 AM

I would say a, but I have a teenager in the house who has friends that come over and help themselves to what's in the fridge. Therefore, I cannot in all good conscience say A at this time in my life. Sorry Pat. I have to go with B. Get a damn glass already. :) How hard is it to pour one? UNLESS of course, there is only enough left for you and you intend to finish it off. Or perhaps the half-gallon happens to have your name on it and says "Hands off Asshat! This belongs to Pat!"

Posted by: Keri at January 27, 2005 10:09 AM

I say if Pat bought the beverage with his/her superhero paycheck, then Pat should be able to do whatever Pat pleases. However, if someday Pat were to become a superhero parent, Pat should definately be aware what he/she is teaching superhero kid when superhero kid sees Pat doing whatever Pat pleases.

So I vote for A, but suggest Pat work on getting to B.

Posted by: Gweny at January 27, 2005 10:16 AM

I vote for A. As much as I worry about germs and spoilage, I don't worry about germs from people I live with. But do keep an eye out for the Queen, because guzzling straight from the bottle is just not done in the palace.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 27, 2005 10:17 AM

Look at you always with the intriguing questions.

Okay, we don't know specifically what Pat did that day. For all we know, between pounding down villians, she could have been sucking face with Maggot Face Man, and lord knows where his mouth has been. So I'll have to go with "d" since what comes off his mouth into her mouth will find it's way into the container she's drinking from, and feeding off the sucrose in the beverage, it may grow into some hideous creature and cause havoc and mayhem (and let's not forget chaos) and she'll end up having to fight said creature at a later time, leaving her less face time with Maggot Face Man.

Posted by: groovebunny at January 27, 2005 10:17 AM

I vote for C. If you're alone, it's like it never happened in the first place. And also, that way, no one else is there to witness when the beverage inevitably trickles down your chin onto your shirt and you wipe your face off with your sleeve, sparing you further eye-rolling and "Were you raised by wolves?" comments.

Posted by: SpaceCase at January 27, 2005 10:49 AM

a

Posted by: Kelly at January 27, 2005 10:57 AM

The real question is, is Pat sick? If Pat has a cold, NOT A CHANCE! If Pat doesn't, I say it's fine, as long as no one sees you. Kind of like watching a car wreck...you HAVE to watch, but you don't want anyone knowing you're watching!

Posted by: Randi at January 27, 2005 11:03 AM

A. Drink it up.

This is also the answer of a bachelor who never takes others into consideration when it comes to food at his apartment.

Posted by: smartjuice at January 27, 2005 11:41 AM

It is only acceptable should pat want to drink to whole darn container.

Posted by: Amy at January 27, 2005 11:45 AM

I think the answer depends entirely on how much Pat's actions annoy the woman who is carrying his child.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at January 27, 2005 11:45 AM

All very good replies than I got to the last one above this by *Mrs. Cactus* and that is the correct answer ;)

You are threading in dangerous waters with a pregnant woman. Poor you, you have so much to learn. The hormones cannot be controlled - my friend ;) Just simply not worth the risk I say ;)

Posted by: Chrissie at January 27, 2005 11:53 AM

A.

That sort of stuff never really bothered me. As long as you don't make a mess and put it back in the right spot in the fridge.

yeah and don't do it in front of guests.

Posted by: Snidget at January 27, 2005 11:55 AM

Definitely a.

Posted by: Bond Girl at January 27, 2005 12:08 PM

If nobody but Pat drinks it, then who really cares HOW Pat drinks it.

Posted by: Jaded Angel at January 27, 2005 12:08 PM

C. All the way. Well, technically, B, but I'm willing to cut Pat a break because, well, sometimes you've just got to be lazy. Just make sure no one sees it, in case they're violently opposed to it.

Unless the beverage in question in milk, in which case the answer is B, hands down. Milk out of the container is just GROSS.

Posted by: Dawnie at January 27, 2005 12:28 PM

a. acceptable anytime (well, not in front of guests or the Queen or anything)

I will drink directly from a bottle... if it's mine and no one else will be drinking out of it. But like... not in front of some guests.

Posted by: Mary Jo at January 27, 2005 12:31 PM

I used to be all for drinking straight out of the carton. Then I learned that once your saliva gets into it, it actually starts to digest and break down the product - the same as it would if it entered your mouth.

That totally skeeved me out, so I switched to always using a glass.

Posted by: Jen at January 27, 2005 12:34 PM

I say acceptable anytime - as long as you definitely are the only one who drinks it. I hate Mountain Dew, but my hubby loves it. If he bought 2-liter bottles and drank straight from them, I wouldn't care at all. If he did that with the milk? I'd be pissed. You don't mess with my milk. ;)

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at January 27, 2005 12:44 PM

As long as you're the only one who drinks it? Drink away, my friend. But if a guest asks if you have said liquid? You totally don't, capiche?

Posted by: Heather at January 27, 2005 12:53 PM

As long as no one else has to drink out of it and the other person who shares the 'frige knows you drink out of it, I say, go for it. I've done it once or twice, not a big deal. Sometimes you just gotta chug it. :o)

Posted by: Milly at January 27, 2005 1:11 PM

A, MAN!

hahaha

Posted by: Maureen at January 27, 2005 1:22 PM

Ok, here's my very mixed up opinion:

I say drink away, just don't do it infront of other people. I'm always terrified of watching others spill an entier of juice dowm thier front.

Also, I believe that if the bottle has not be drank directly out of by a cootie-fied person whowever is going ot drink the last bit has full reign to chug it right out ofthe container.

But i believe that if you have to lift a bottle above your head to drink from it, it shoudl only be beer, in a dorm room or frat house, because that's exactly what it looks like you're doing - competeing.

And lastly - if there are no glasses clean, I say take a swig from the container. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Posted by: Autumn at January 27, 2005 1:29 PM

Ugh, this is just *not* sexy. Partaking of beverages in this matter almost always leads to some sort of mustache or drippage down the chin. Break out a glass, Pat.

Wait a minute! Chris, you almost had me. I see what's going on here. You are trying to make yourself out to be less adorable than you are in order to give me little choice but to choose someone new to crush on. Nice try.

Posted by: lu at January 27, 2005 1:54 PM

my vote's for A as well, since i do it. hey, it'd be neat to see all the results in a table or bar graph or something though.

that's mainly because i like the clicking on my new optical mouse and there's nothing like clicking a precise area such as a radio button :)

Posted by: Priscilla at January 27, 2005 2:33 PM

DRINK UP! It's the poor fool who tries to drink after you's problem. Not yours.

Posted by: myllissa at January 27, 2005 2:44 PM

A

Posted by: Pixie at January 27, 2005 4:42 PM

Life's too short - drink it up!!!

Posted by: Sue at January 27, 2005 5:50 PM

i'm the only one in my household that drinks fat free milk, so i drink from the container. i'm pretty sure dave doesn't care. but don't make the mrs. mad! she's the boss. :)

Posted by: tiffanie at January 27, 2005 7:48 PM

Um gross!!!! Completely BBBBB, did I say um B!!!!!

But I don't like different foods touching eachother either go figure!!

Posted by: Gypsy at January 27, 2005 9:39 PM