February 23, 2005

Bob Barker Would Be Proud

Local readers who live in Washington DC (a.ka., the District), as opposed to the burbs like me, will probably complain that I'm making the city look worse than it is. But I maintain its one of the most poorly managed cities in the history of, well, everything. The fire department has a measly two functional ladder trucks to serve a city of 600,000, the school year is delayed almost every year because schools are uninhabitable and 40% of the city's population under the age of 12 goes to bed hungry, yet the city closes shelters and soup kitchens. The District doesn't help itself any, by putting Anthony "Spineless Asshat" Williams in the mayor's office and returning Marion Barry into city government despite being busted cavorting with hookers and smoking crack...on tape! The following, therefore, didn't surprise me:

District school officials canceled today's [Tuesday] classes at Eaton Elementary School in Cleveland Park to give cleaning crews time to disinfect the building after hundreds of cats were sterilized and vaccinated in the cafeteria over the weekend.

I think this deserves a mighty whathefuck. Check out the article and see how stupid people can be. Perhaps I'm overreacting though. Would it ever cross your minds to sterilize cats in a school cafeteria?

Posted by Chris at February 23, 2005 3:18 PM
Comments

OK, that's just gross. I mean first of all, the allergy problems it could cause for many of the kids... Sheesh.

Posted by: amy at February 23, 2005 3:44 PM

I'm allergic to cats (I know! Pity me, I want a kitty) and I can't imagine how miserable I would have been if I had to go to that building after the clinic.

Imagine if they hadn't closed the school, though - the kids might think of urine and ether as the scents of their childhood, instead of PlayDoh.

(Disclaimer: Yay for helping cats, but in a school cafeteria? That seems really really strange to me.)

Posted by: SpaceCase at February 23, 2005 3:59 PM

Hehehheh that totally sounds like something that could happen here. But here, it won't be sterelizing cats, but say, providing amphetamine for drug addicts :) 'Sorry ,school is closed, we had to clean up the syringes'

Posted by: Sweety at February 23, 2005 4:10 PM

Hell yeah I'll say what the fuck! Wow. I think I should be very happy about where I live. My cats too.

Posted by: Kimmer at February 23, 2005 4:14 PM

so what's wrong with that???

Posted by: lizabetty at February 23, 2005 4:49 PM

just kidding....ewwwwwwwwwww!

Posted by: lizabetty at February 23, 2005 4:50 PM

I take it the local hospitals didn't offer their space...

What idiot volunteered the cafeteria in the first place? Poor students and cats...

Posted by: christina at February 23, 2005 5:19 PM

Holy living fuck. Obscure movie comes to mind: ever see that cheesy 70's sci-fi flick "Logan's Run"? Where they come across the ruins of D.C. in the far future? And the whole city is overgrown with kudzu and populated by roving herds of feral cats? My theory: Barry and Williams got together, "hit da pipe" and saw that flick on TNT, hence the urgent need for mass spaying.

Posted by: Jason at February 23, 2005 5:20 PM

Uh, I like cats but ewwww.

Posted by: Kitty at February 23, 2005 5:55 PM

You'd think they'd at least do the mass sterilization at the city school district offices since they're already crawling with vermin anyways. But wait. What's wrong with smoking crack and cavorting with hookers??? lol

Posted by: groovebunny at February 23, 2005 7:38 PM

Oh. My. God.

Here is another reason why I live in the burbs and not Detroit.

Posted by: LIsa at February 23, 2005 7:57 PM

I saw that on the news last night and wondered WTH was going on. I'm all for controlling the cat population in a humane way, but in a school cafeteria? There had to have been other places they could have used. An auditorium, or some such?

Posted by: etherian at February 23, 2005 8:01 PM

That? Goes up on my list of the stupidest things I ever heard done! Gross, I mean really!

Posted by: Nina at February 23, 2005 8:06 PM

in my hometown, one of the schools did their dissecting classes in the cafeteria. and that, my friends, is why I prefer dc.

Posted by: liz at February 23, 2005 8:22 PM

That is disgusting.

I may be a little hick from Missouri, but when I go to the grocery store, or to pick up my kids from school, I can leave my car running and UNLOCKED, with my purse and cell phone and all my CD's in it, and return to it ten minutes later fully intact.

Posted by: jen at February 23, 2005 8:38 PM

Chris, GRODY. How can you post such things when we are all trying to eat solids food sometime, anytime, ever again in our lives??? For shame. And, do I seriously live in DC? What the fuck?

Posted by: supine at February 23, 2005 10:14 PM

You come up with the strangest things to talk about, m'dear. And I was eating dinner :P

Posted by: Heather at February 23, 2005 11:00 PM

Heee...I saw that on the news and just had to laugh! I mean, yes--it's gross. But who would have ever thought of doing that? Should the "that's kinda gross and possibly unsanitary" thought come BEFORE they performed surgery on all the cats? Hmmm, guess we just don't have very smart people here in the nation's capitol. ;)

Posted by: Raybelle at February 23, 2005 11:40 PM

holy fuck that is discusting! what ever happened to vets?

Posted by: angel at February 24, 2005 9:19 AM

WTF!?
Kinda makes ya wonder what goes on in the schools over the weekend that they DON'T tell you about?!

Posted by: Jade at February 24, 2005 9:28 AM

It sounded like a Simpson's episode to me. Can't you just see the sign out in front of the school.

Sunday: Get Your Cat Neutered
Monday: Meatloaf

Posted by: Erika at February 24, 2005 9:43 AM

Come ON - like they COULDN'T do it in the school that was contaminated with mercury! Be serious Chris! Feh - WTF!!! :) Seriously - I was watching the first "breaking news" story about this and the principal of the school was so sketchy about it all "yeah - we didn't want to tell people about it in advance because..well...they might be upset." Really? Ya think? Shaving kitty bellies in the cafeteria? Eew, just eew. I'm all for fixing them but eew. And that's leaving aside the fact that some people - like my sister - are so horribly allergic to cats that they can have asthma problems just walking in to places where cats have once been! Oy.

Posted by: Sue at February 24, 2005 10:06 AM

I can't even fully compute all this story. Who's... what?...the...cat's?...freakin' what?!!

I love the part where he's undecided as to whether the kids will have to make up the school day. "Since you kids made us clean up the bloody cat entrails/urine and close the school for sterilization, I'm gonna insist that you make that up to us."

Just let them have the day off. Geez!

Posted by: Gweny at February 24, 2005 10:53 AM

whatthefuck is exactly what i said. jesus.

Posted by: laura at February 24, 2005 11:24 AM

In a school in SF the homeless go in and are able to take showers...because the students don't use the showers...

Posted by: Gypsy at March 4, 2005 6:48 PM