February 2, 2005

Dress Code

My place of business requires formal attire. I think we're one of the lone hold-outs in the post dot com casual world. But me? Well, I wanted to wear PJs today. Figuring the folks in the office wouldn't really appreciate that, I decided to stay home! Yes...my calendar was empty today - no meetings, no conference calls, no budgets to devise. So home it is...where I can rest, relax and hopefully feel better by the time I have to resume my meeting-laden schedule tomorrow.

Posted by Chris at February 2, 2005 8:00 AM
Comments

Jealous...want....a...job...where....my...boss...trusts....us...enough...to...work...from...home
and I also want a Starbuck's coffee because apparently, my GINORMOUS mug of coffee hasn't kicked in yet...I got the cafein-headache-blues!
have a good one buddy!
PS - Finally got the tsunami-wear..MD liked it ALOT....it has entered the snowboard clothes rotation, you're right up there with his 7 airwalk shirts!

Posted by: wn at February 2, 2005 8:06 AM

fascinating enough, a lot of companies are going back to more formal dress codes at work. The idea is that it creates a air of professionalism that is lost in constant casualness. The most effected are Sales & Marketing people, and companies that work in those fields. There is a line of thought involved that has to do with showing potential customers a seriousness about business, but it's believed it'll bleed over to other areas in the corporate world, if only to prevent those customer service girls from wearing mini-skirts and tank tops, and seducing the men.

Good for you staying home. :)

Posted by: Autumn at February 2, 2005 8:14 AM

Good for you! I have a terrible terrible cold, that sneaked up on my Sunday and then bombarded me yesterday.

I stayed home yesterday, and will be home today until my 1:30 meeting.

Posted by: jenorama at February 2, 2005 8:21 AM

You don't have like video phone or something on the computer do you? That would be so funny to be talkin' to the boss wearing PJ's, unshaved, and drinking coffee while he's sitting there all stuffy in his suit.

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at February 2, 2005 8:34 AM

Feel better, Chris!

I want to sleep right now, myself. Silly classes.

Posted by: alektra at February 2, 2005 8:34 AM

My job would be impossible to work from home. Have a great pj day.

Posted by: Adi at February 2, 2005 8:36 AM

At home? In pajamas? Life is much better that way!

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at February 2, 2005 8:40 AM

Nice!
I'm lucky to work in a business casual environment - I can get away with dress pants and a nice sweater. In no way am I forced to wear a suit jacket, or a skirt if I don't want to. And on Friday we get to wear jeans! Yay!

However, I just found out that our office will be dismantling so I have anywhere from 1-3 months before everyone here is laid off. Blech. It's not so bad though, I was secretly starting to look for a job closer to my house because though I like my job, the commute sucks. And now it doesn't have to be a secret anymore!

Posted by: Kitty at February 2, 2005 9:52 AM

Where do you work that you get to stay home so often? Or were you feeling sick? I wish I could work from home or not come in so I could stay in my PJs. Hope you're enjoying the day away from the office. :o)

Posted by: Milly at February 2, 2005 10:12 AM

Feel better soon!

Posted by: Krush at February 2, 2005 10:14 AM

I work in an office where half of us are required to look "professional" and half have no dress code at all. It's frustrating to see these people walk around in jeans and sneakers when I'm stuck in the non-comfy wear. Pbbt.

Feel better!

Posted by: SpaceCase at February 2, 2005 10:30 AM

yay! so it's jammies day! hehe

Posted by: debbie at February 2, 2005 10:36 AM

Sounds like the best of both worlds... you get to dress up most of the time, but occasionally you get to wear pjs instead! Hope you enjoy your day of comfort =)

Posted by: Nicole at February 2, 2005 10:49 AM

There were rumors about our office going to professional dress, but we sort of revolted and complained to our practice president. Instead, we got a stricter dress code. It didn't really affect the men at all; it mainly told the women to stop slutting it up in sleevless and low cut shirts. Damn you HR!

Have fun at your home office. Take a nap for me.

Posted by: smartjuice at February 2, 2005 11:26 AM

hope you feel better!!!

Posted by: tiffanie at February 2, 2005 11:46 AM

Get all better, you need to get all the rest that you can before August ;)

Posted by: JuJuBee at February 2, 2005 12:44 PM

Awww, I hope you feel better. On another note, I wear "PJs" most every day. (That's what I call my BDUs) They are quite comfy, and I never have that horrible, "OMG! What am I going to wear today??" moment in the early morning. he he he he I wish I could do my job from home some days, but, it would be impossible. *cue sad face here* :(

Posted by: Sashinka at February 2, 2005 12:48 PM

You're it!

Click the link and all will make sense.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at February 2, 2005 1:09 PM

Good for you staying home in your pj's. :) And I hope you feel better. We're corporate casual here at work and only have to worry about doing the business suits when we have meetings. But I've been told we will be going back to business suits. Booo! Not happy about that.

And I've been trying to get my work to have an office pajama day for years. They just won't go for it. Probably too afraid someone will come into work wearing something too risque. lol

Posted by: groovebunny at February 2, 2005 1:18 PM

Thank goodness our marketing firm does not have formal standards except when clients are coming to the office. I wear sandals and shorts to work 75% of the year.

Enjoy the day at home man.

Posted by: Ryan at February 2, 2005 1:20 PM

Nothing beats a day of telecommuting. Got to do it last Friday. But then again, I get to wear jeans and a t-shirt here. So I guess the bonus was not having to shower? I know. . .dirty.

Posted by: Colby at February 2, 2005 1:41 PM

I do hope you feel better soon!

Posted by: Nina at February 2, 2005 1:41 PM

Jealous! I am jealous! I have a wee bit of a cold, but not enough to justify staying at home. Damn.

Posted by: Heather at February 2, 2005 2:16 PM

My company too is stuck in the old days (pre dot com). Women must wear panty hose and closed toed shoes. Men must wear a coat and tie.

Posted by: Jazzy at February 2, 2005 3:26 PM

YAY for home! I'm home too and I've got an hour of work to do and then back to bed for me!

Posted by: amy at February 2, 2005 3:43 PM

Excellent choice. Staying home rocks. Except my cat has fleas now so I think I'd rather be at work today. It less itchy here.

Anyway, feel better!

Posted by: ms.quilty at February 2, 2005 5:04 PM

I could almost certainly wear PJs to school, but something inside me just won't allow it. I often go without hardly brushing my hair though. Heh.

Posted by: Heather at February 2, 2005 5:04 PM

One day, at my best friend's work, it was pajama day - yeah they ALL got to wear PJ's - how cool is that? Anyways, she was called into her boss's office. She was scared - what did she do wrong? Turns out he was offering her a promotion and a raise, and the whole time she was wearing her Pj's. I've never gotten a raise in my PJ's :( Enjoy your day at home!

Posted by: Marie at February 2, 2005 5:41 PM

dude, FORMAL WEAR? Like a TUX??

Posted by: kalisah at February 2, 2005 7:15 PM

Get better --- PJ's rule ... I'm lucky, I get to work from home most days -- so PJ's ARE my formal attire :-)

Posted by: Bob at February 2, 2005 10:32 PM