February 7, 2005

Familiarity

For many years, Beth and I went to the same Vietnamese place every Friday night. The restaurant became one of our favorite places and the family that owned it became great friends of ours. Most of them were in attendance for our wedding - we're not sure exactly how they managed to keep the restaurant open. Since we moved a little further away, we haven't been there with any great regularity but we returned on Saturday night with our parents and extended refugee family (I can explain) and it was, well, a wonderful feeling. Its true...sometimes you do want to be where everybody knows your name! And speaking of names, you might be interested to know that we used to be in there so much, they actually named a dish after Beth. Yes, its the Beth Special :-)

Posted by Chris at February 7, 2005 6:05 PM
Comments

We have a kind of similar situation with a Chinese restaurant that opened in this area about 7 or 8 years ago. We go often, and have hosted several large parties there, as have other members of our family. We usually get a couple of Gift Certificates for Christmas and birthdays, and, as a matter of fact, we had lunch there today.

The owner and his wife, 2 Koreans have befriended us in a similar manner, and I feel so honored by that.

They never have named a dish after either of us, but did add our favorite dish, Walnut Shrimp (to die for), to their menu.

Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

Have a great evening.

Posted by: cassie-b at February 7, 2005 6:29 PM

Awwww...

I just get excited when a waiter or waitress recognizes me. And doesn't run away screaming... (Hey, they figure out quick that you're a grad student, even if you're a softie.)

;)

Posted by: alektra at February 7, 2005 6:47 PM

I have that sort of place too (a pizza place that makes wonderful salad) and I missed it when I moved out of Seattle. On my first night back in Seattle, I ordered by beloved salad. :) So what's the Beth special?

Posted by: Carla at February 7, 2005 9:50 PM

Aw, that's an adorable story. I'm dying to know -- what IS the beth special? =P

Posted by: Jennie at February 7, 2005 11:47 PM

hi chris that is awesome :) ... sorry havent been around much ... have a great tuesday :)

Posted by: Rosie at February 8, 2005 2:49 AM

Cool! I want a place like that! Most of the restaurants around us are chains though.

Posted by: Kitty at February 8, 2005 10:42 AM

That's really cool to have a regular place like that. We have a sushi place we love and every time we go in, the owner calls out to my husband "Hey, two Snow Mountain Rolls!" He doesn't know our names, but he knows our orders!

Posted by: donna at February 8, 2005 8:05 PM

Aw, that's so cool Beth has a dish named after her! My husband and I were regulars in an Indian restaurant in the previous town we lived in, and are becoming regulars at an Indian restaurant here. Although the food is awesome, I also like the idea that my money is going to locals.

Posted by: Spring at February 8, 2005 9:46 PM