February 8, 2005

Hi, I'm In Hell

Maybe not hell, but I just got off the phone with one of my more unique clients. Or rather, client-once-removed. Something like that. Anyway, this is the same guy who, last year, fondly reminisced about his days in Vietnam, the guy who looks exactly like Dharma's dad from Dharma & Greg, and the same guy who let loose with violent convulsions for no apparent reason in our last meeting.

To be fair, I don't expect everyone to be computer literate as much as I think its becoming a necessity. I don't expect anyone to know what I'm talking about half the time except for those professionals who are employed to take my advice and do stuff. Apparently, I was aiming a little high with that one.

I just got to hear about the danger of cell phones which are, supposedly, unreliable technology. I just got to hear how this dude's father sold wet cardboard during the Great Depression (before you ask, I have no idea how we got there). I got to hear more about Vietnam, which was just peachy ("I enjoyed it!" says he). Oh, I almost forgot about the unreliability of cars. All the while I'm trying to explain the differences between servers and a laptop (I swear) and the fact that you can't technically "log in" to a piece of paper (I shit you not).

I think I'm calling a cease fire with the IT world for the day. I hope you all are having much less frustrating ones!

Posted by Chris at February 8, 2005 3:45 PM
Comments

Hi,

I'm in hell too. A different hell perhaps - greeting card hell to be precise. Are we having a Monday do-over? Sure feels like it.

Posted by: jen at February 8, 2005 4:03 PM

Nevermind how you got to the wet cardboard discussion. What precisely was the need for it?? What am I not understanding here?

Posted by: patricia at February 8, 2005 4:13 PM

Dear Hell,

Please send Chris back.

Thank you.

Posted by: bmh at February 8, 2005 4:29 PM

This isn't work, it's hell with flourescent lighting.

But I did get a raise yesterday. (yay!) Hours later, I was nearly wiped out on the freeway by a high speed chase. (boooo!) The cool part is that I was probably on TV. The uncool part is that I dropped a cheeseburger in my lap and almost pee'd in my pants.

Speaking of technology, is it rude to tell your boss they probably got an "ID10T" error on their computer? Apparently not, 'cause I did get a raise!

Posted by: ms.quilty at February 8, 2005 4:33 PM

Did he look like Dilbert's pointy-haired boss?

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at February 8, 2005 4:47 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a bad day to me.

Posted by: Alison at February 8, 2005 5:23 PM

Had days like that (minus the vietnam vet but PLUS a Minister of the Crown who DOESNT UNDERSTAND that he has to follow the LAW)...so I sympathize with ya buddy! Hope the night is better.

I'm overtiming it....too much crap to do...but still a pretty good day. (at least much better than yours, I think!)

wn

Posted by: wn at February 8, 2005 5:57 PM

I feel your pain man.

I just waited (like a weenie) for someone I was having the world's most frustrating phone call with to hang up first so I could have the satisfaction of slamming the phone down w/o the consequences of explaining to important people why I slammed the phone down on the Important Man (who is an ASSHAT!).

Posted by: Bond Girl at February 8, 2005 7:12 PM

I get plenty of calls from guys who work on offshore rigs, one of our apps is for oil rig reporting, and these guys take the cake. They always want to tell you about the good ole days when they wrote everything down on with pen and paper and not listen to a dman thing you are telling them about operating the sorftware. I feel for you man!
Blue

Posted by: Blue at February 8, 2005 7:18 PM

The only time I've know the cell phone to be unreliable technology is when I've forgotten to charge up the battery. And same with cars...not gas no go. lol

Sorry you're having a hard day. Seems hell has extended it's way all the way from VA to CA today!

Posted by: groovebunny at February 8, 2005 7:28 PM

Today was not hell for me, jsut purgatory. I had to move my station because the boss is too chicken to discuss one co-workers attitude so instead he put her in the back, where I used to be, with the natural light, because we all know that a colorist (me) truly doesn't need good light!!!! (sarcasm as you can see lol). Then I had to chase a bird out of the salon, apparently it wanted its feathers trimmed heehee! So not hell, just purgatory.

Posted by: Nina at February 8, 2005 7:47 PM

ah... there's nothing quite like the smell of burning napalm and braincells in the afternoon.

you need donuts. I need donuts. we all need donuts.

DONUTS!!

Posted by: sawni at February 8, 2005 8:41 PM

explaining computers to people who just don't 'get it' is the most awful job ever, I swear. too bad my mom is one of 'those people' :)

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at February 8, 2005 9:16 PM

Hey, I hear there's good money to be made in wet cardboard.

Posted by: Casey at February 8, 2005 11:33 PM

Yikes. I think that Dharma's dad is funny, but of course I don't personally talk to him. And if he's annoying the shit out of me, I can turn off the tv.

Posted by: Kitty at February 9, 2005 10:04 AM