February 24, 2005

The Cactusmobile

I'm happy to introduce you to the latest Official Cactus-Fish Fleet Vehicle, the Cactusmobile.

Okay, so I realize this doesn't show off a whole lot of the car...but its snowing and, well, you wouldn't want me to post a picture of YOU all covered in snow, would you? That's not the way to make a first impression.

If you're curious, its a Jetta. Its also - brace yourselves - a wagon. Shut up. Yes, I said wagon. At least its a cool, sleek, German wagon. I am old and now terribly uncool. But have you walked through Babies R Us recently? Have you not seen the incredible amount of shit (figurative, although I suppose its accurate in the literal sense too) that comes with a baby? And I thought my wife accessorized! So yes, I determined that we needed something in which to transport not only the child but the child's posse of equipment and accessories.

What kind of rockstar wannabe drives a wagon? Well, me apparently.

Posted by Chris at February 24, 2005 3:00 PM
Comments

Volkswagens are cool! :) I love my bug!

Posted by: Snidget at February 24, 2005 3:19 PM

Welcome to the world of parents (or parents-to-be in your case). It seems like all parents have SUVs or station wagons or vans. It's like a uniform.

Posted by: cassie-b at February 24, 2005 3:21 PM

Jettas are nice cars so congrats!

Posted by: groovebunny at February 24, 2005 3:22 PM

(Points to car:)

HAH-HA!

Posted by: Nelson Munz at February 24, 2005 3:34 PM

It sounds like the purchase of a man who is about to have a FAMILY!

Chris bought a family car, Chris bought a family car... nyah nyah!

Posted by: PinkStiletto at February 24, 2005 3:36 PM

I won't knock you for that, I think those wagons look pretty cool. I actually would love to have one of those... or a Volvo wagon. :)

Posted by: Carla at February 24, 2005 3:38 PM

But the wagon can also carry all your Rockstar equipment. Like your guitars, your amps, your bass, more groupies, etc. And a carseat if necessary. And you're right, at least it's a cool German wagon.

Posted by: smartjuice at February 24, 2005 3:40 PM

Oh you poor thing! At least it isn't an SUV! hehehe

Posted by: Swt GA Hunny Bee at February 24, 2005 3:41 PM

sweet! i really wanted to get a volkswagen when i was in the 'new-car' market last summer. but they were a bit out of my league. money wise. but my next car, when ever i get another one, will be a Volkswagen. preferably a jetta... unless they come out w/ something newer/cooler by then. :)

congrats on the new car!

Posted by: Judy at February 24, 2005 3:43 PM

Jettas rule! I've had 5. lol The current is a 2003 Gray GLX with all the extras. Her name is G.G.- aka The Grey Goose. hee.

Posted by: amy at February 24, 2005 3:49 PM

Uh, oh. Should have warned you first.

Let's all pray that it was all a fluke.

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at February 24, 2005 3:52 PM

Oh please...you don't know uncool until you start driving a van. I try to tell myself that it's an Odyssey and that it makes it okay, but there is no real way to be cool in a van. Congrats on the new car!

Posted by: Nicole at February 24, 2005 3:58 PM

No, you shut up! Wagons rule and I think VWs are still da bomb. My old Jetta was one of the best cars I ever owned. Anyway, with a wagon you can carry your rockstar stuff, your rockstar wife, and your rockstar baby everywhere you want to go. I think that is a very wise purchase. And you'll look cool too.

By the way, have you seen some of the baby strollers now? They are like freaking Humvees! There is no way you can put them in a normal car.

Posted by: ms.quilty at February 24, 2005 4:06 PM

speaking of excrement devices, go for Luvs rather than Pampers or Huggies once the kid is in size 2 or higher. I have personal experience on both ends of the diaper business and can give real reasons, if you want.

Posted by: alektra at February 24, 2005 4:06 PM

Just think - with a wagon there's lots of room for guitars and amps and what not.

And yes, I've been to a Babies R' Us recently and was shocked. Oh, and trying to find something on someone's registry? Literally impossible. I finally enlisted the help of an employee but even she didn't know what the heck some of those item names were. They need a lamens terms book to go along with each registry. Boppy? WTF?

Posted by: Kitty at February 24, 2005 4:18 PM

Yay, DAD!! Look at you Safey McSaferson!

Posted by: granola at February 24, 2005 4:43 PM

You need the farfegnuegen (sp?) sticker to make it cool. :) Can you PLEASE talk to my honey to get him to trade in the PT Cruiser for a more family friendly car??? I love the Jetta Wagon. Enjoy!

Posted by: bd at February 24, 2005 4:47 PM

But Jetta Wagons are cool!

And, trust me, you can't go wrong with the VW. Nothing but love for VW from me.

Posted by: Dawnie at February 24, 2005 4:47 PM

I could just hug you. You bought a station wagon, not a minivan or an SUV.

Hate to break it to you, but in my books, you ARE TOTALLY cool.

Posted by: OSG at February 24, 2005 5:25 PM

Congratulations on getting the VW love! The Jetta is a nice car...even in wagon form. :)

Posted by: Amanda at February 24, 2005 5:26 PM

MmmHmmm, sounds like a parent car to me, lol...what else can you do, it's not like you can strap em to the roof...gotta get the wagon or the ever popular minivan!

Posted by: lizabetty at February 24, 2005 6:11 PM

I love my station wagon, and I'm not even a parent. Or, I'm a parent of hairy quadrupeds, and they like the wagon too.

I think think you should call it the Cactus Cruiser.

Posted by: Casey at February 24, 2005 6:11 PM

I love my Jetta! Her name is Jennie. Jennie Jetta. When she has to take charge and cut off asshat drivers, she becomes Jennie From The Block. Hee.

Posted by: Mirella at February 24, 2005 6:29 PM

I have always loved VW's. I guess I will just have to wait till I have kids to get me one. :)

Posted by: Leah at February 24, 2005 7:00 PM

Yo yo yo. Pull that hood ornament off, put it on a gold chain and wear around your neck Beastie Boys style. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah boyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee.

Posted by: Jason at February 24, 2005 7:24 PM

Aw, look at you, all grown up. But it's not a minivan; then I would've had to laugh at you. Plus you got a Jetta, my personal favorite car. Nice.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 24, 2005 7:47 PM

I will continue in the vein of congratulating you on your new purchase. Yay! Is it silver? Or is that just a black and white picture? More details coming, I hope ;)

Posted by: Heather at February 24, 2005 8:43 PM

Awwww...

That is so cute!

Posted by: jen at February 24, 2005 9:00 PM

*waves to the CactusMobile*
hey, does Beth have to call it the SoTheFishSaidMobile? :)

Posted by: Manda at February 24, 2005 9:33 PM

Turn. In. Your. Guy. Card. Now.

NOW!

That's okay... you'll get a Daddy card instead and according to my husband it's much, much better...

Posted by: Stacy at February 24, 2005 9:35 PM

you got a new car and you gave us a picture of the HUB CAP???

That is SO not right.

Posted by: kalisah at February 24, 2005 10:35 PM

i know what car you talking about...and it rocks..

have no fear, you will forever be a rock star....

Posted by: miss macy at February 25, 2005 12:10 AM

We had 2 VWs for years and loved them! Congrats!

Posted by: feisty girl at February 25, 2005 1:09 AM

Nothing wrong with a wagon. Now, if you were driving a mini van, or worse, an SUV with leather interior, I would then have cause for concern!
Congrats on a great car!

Posted by: Jade at February 25, 2005 4:18 AM

All we suburban mothers are drooling. Probably not exactly the form of lust you'd hoped for, huh?

Posted by: Sheryl at February 25, 2005 7:56 AM

my hubby refused to upgrade the car to a family vehicle with just one child. heck, I remember my parents driving us around in a mustang (which we called "the rustang") with 3 kids! we concede we'll probably get a minivan with the next child.

Posted by: liz at February 25, 2005 7:57 AM

omg Chris... gay people drive Jettas. (us). Do you think you may be a lesbian?

Posted by: debby at February 25, 2005 8:47 AM

Congrats on the new car! As long as you like it, it doesn't matter what kind of associations other people make with it.

Posted by: Liz at February 25, 2005 9:43 AM

haha you drive a station wagon...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I am evil- like you didn't already know that :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at February 25, 2005 10:03 AM

Did you get the TDI? Tell me you got the TDI! My Jetta is a TDI and I lurve it! So much! You will love your Jetta too. :-)

Posted by: Bond Girl at February 25, 2005 11:20 AM

Hey, all the cool people up here are driving them, too. ;)

Posted by: Maureen at February 25, 2005 12:27 PM

I just knew there was something European about you! LOL :)

We used to have a VW Polo. Great cars!

Posted by: Sweety at February 25, 2005 12:37 PM

oh no, you didn't...not a wagon! if you get a minivan, just don't tell us.

Posted by: laura at February 25, 2005 1:54 PM

A Jette is a great car!!..

Welcome and congratulations to the world of parenthood. I guarentee you this is only one of about two or three million stops along the way... in most of which you will apear very UNCool, LOL..But it's the most awesome ride!!

Hehehe
p.s. I love reading your blog.. I love your humor! Do you crack people up in the real world like this too? Or do you save it just for us, hehe

Posted by: Tammy at February 25, 2005 2:09 PM

CONGRATS! And you know, I want one. :)

Posted by: Tara at February 25, 2005 5:23 PM

You'll always be a rock star in my book, Cactus. :)

Posted by: Zandria at February 27, 2005 12:49 AM

Welcome to the new club...Cool with Children. Blending style with practicality.

Posted by: ken at February 28, 2005 8:17 AM

VW's are great! Congrats!! That was my second choice when I got my new Honda last summer. :) German cars are great....but I'm giggling at the fact that you have a wagon!! :) At least it's a VW wagon. :) Just think, you can fit all your guitars and amps in the back much easier than a trunk!! Rockstar!!

Posted by: Kimmer at February 28, 2005 11:35 AM

I am personally a fan of old VW's (have 4 of 'em) but the new Jetta wagons sure are enticing.If kids were in my future (not!) I would definately pick one over the requisite SUV or MiniVan. It's way cooler and you won't look goofy driving it dressed like a rock star to your debut concert:) Is it diesel or gas?

Posted by: geezitron at February 28, 2005 3:16 PM

Did you throw one of your Asshat stickers on it???

Posted by: Gypsy at March 4, 2005 6:36 PM