February 12, 2005

Working For The Weekend?

Yesterday, I left work around 4-ish so that I could mindlessly walk around Tower Records in an attempt to shake off the stress of the week. But instead of actually walking around browsing, I ended up fielding phone calls from work. Because I? Am a glutton for punishment and I would have worried what they were about had I not picked up. Then Beth and I got takeout from a local Chinese place. Everyone wanted to join in, including the loan guy who called Beth and one of my co-workers who needed information from me. This, of course, required me to do the most dreaded thing in the history of the world. No, not get kicked in the nuts by a 400 pound sumo wrestler. Work...on a Friday night. I plugged away until 9:30, then had to get up this morning to make sure all the fires were out and people were happy again. So far, so good. But so taking a day off next week!

Posted by Chris at February 12, 2005 9:52 AM
Comments

I absolutely refuse to work weekends. Grrrr. But when I do. I'll admit that I dog ass it. So its not really like working at all. Know what I mean? I dont do weekend service calls. NO FRIKKEN way. The only way I get roped into weekend work is if my boss (dad)gets us off schedule on a big job and some other trade nneds us to be out of the way. In which case I really dont mind. Ya I know im a good lil team player. Just wish that other trades were team players. SOme are but for the most part aren't really....

Posted by: shaners at February 12, 2005 10:23 AM

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. And try to stay away from that work stuff.

I try to tie up as much as possible on Friday afternoon, and then forget it till Monday morning. And I often succeed.

Posted by: cassie-b at February 12, 2005 10:24 AM

Ugh. Weekend work. I may have to work over Easter weekend. Yuck!

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at February 12, 2005 10:35 AM

My husband is a newspaper editor and works EVERY Saturday. It sucks SO SO hard. It's part of the reason we're moving -- so he can get a new job that doesn't require working on the day of parties, barhopping and sleeping later :)

Posted by: Mirella at February 12, 2005 11:32 AM

and to think i was bitching because they made me work until 6pm, even though i was home. I imagine it would've been even later had I physically been there. hope you're having a better weekend :)

Posted by: laura at February 12, 2005 11:41 AM

I am like you. I have actually rescheduled two vacations around work and I shan't do that again.

Posted by: jen at February 12, 2005 11:50 AM

tower records? isn't that the most expensive place to actually buy music or has that changed?

I hope the rest of the weekend picks up.

Posted by: patricia at February 12, 2005 12:28 PM

Trust me - one of the best things about having a kid (I have a one year old son) is that your days of working weekends and nights will be OVAH. I work for a massive, heartless, evil defense contractor, and they kick me out the door at 4:30 to assure that I maintain work-life balance.

Of course, that may be part of their nefarious plan to keep me indentured forever...ensnare me with kindness...

Posted by: Ruggerjay at February 12, 2005 1:10 PM

You are an amazingly dedicated person. Not the brightest bulb in the marquee, but dedicated!

The above is meant to be humorous. I am in no way implying that Chris is of inferior intelligence. That is not my place, we have Beth for that! :-)

Posted by: Jeff A at February 12, 2005 1:39 PM

hugs.

because, yeah.

at least you're not going into work because you honestly can't think of anything better to do. Not that I've ever done that...

Sigh. I have. But don't tell anyone, ok?

Posted by: alektra at February 12, 2005 6:47 PM

Ugh Chris, I hope the rest of your weekend is relaxing and quiet. Get some fun CDs to play with!

Posted by: supine at February 12, 2005 6:53 PM

"I would have worried what they were about had I not picked up"... story of my life. I gave my notice a week ago and have one week left of work. Think I would be kicking back right. Nope. Not stressed out me. Instead I am worrying about everything for the clients who I am leaving.

P.S. I love my clients it is the vendors and higer ups that have prompted my departure. Politics - yuck not for me.

Posted by: Michelle at February 12, 2005 9:56 PM

Awwww poor cactus :)) *sending some cyber power relaxation aromatherapy massage yoga zen thoughts & herb tea*

Posted by: Sweety at February 13, 2005 11:16 AM

Arrgh! I SO know how you feel! I worked all day last week Saturday, and guess what I have planned for the remainder of this afternoon? The good part is they're letting my build up lieu time that I'll be using for my numerous pre-natal check-ups, which allows me to save my precious vacation time to leave work for maternity leave in early to mid-June (2-3 weeks before my due date). Yep - I'm getting the whole summer off!

Posted by: Marie at February 13, 2005 1:24 PM