March 18, 2005

Hugged Your Weebles Today?

The other night as I was getting ready to climb into bed, I almost fell down while taking my sweatshirt off. Grace is not my middle name, which is good because that sounds girly. Anyway, I almost lost the battle to the sweatshirt and succumbed to the ever-present force of gravity. Somehow, however, I saved myself and remained upright.

Me: Oops. Damn gravity.
Her: Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.
Me: But they do melt.
Her: Huh?
Me: Weebles. They don't fall down but the do melt.
Her: You know this from first-hand experience?
Me Sure do.
Her: Can I ask how or do I not want to know?
Me: Sure. Its funny because I was thinking about not long ago.
Her: Weebles?
Me: Yeah.
Her: Bizarre.
Me: I know. See, when my parents and I would drive to Wyoming or California or Montana, I'd have toys and stuff in the car when I was little. One afternoon we pulled into a motel and I accidentally left my Weebles in the car. And they melted.
Her: They melted? In the car?
Me: Texas is hot.
Her: Did you get in trouble?
Me: Of course not. But I had melted Weebles.
Her: How did they melt? What did they look like?
Me: Well, you see, the construction of a Weeble is an unusual thing. The structural integrity of the Weeble was intact but there's this little layer of plastic on the inside of the Weeble where the faces and bodies are painted? That shrunk and melted and distorted.
Her: So, you had carnival-freak Weebles?
Me: Pretty much. Yet, they still wobbled and wouldn't fall down.

Posted by Chris at March 18, 2005 7:40 AM
Comments

I had an ill-fated Tomax and Xamot set (the evil wealthy twins from G.I. Joe, if you recall) that met the same fate, only I think a magnifying glass was involved.

Posted by: briantologist at March 18, 2005 8:46 AM

very interesting, i am a better person for this knowledge you have bestowed upon me!! lol!!!

Posted by: lizabetty at March 18, 2005 9:24 AM

keep this in mind when you have your own child and you go out to eat and they give her a child's menu and crayons and when she leaves she wants to take it with her in her carseat in the back seat.

Because every. blasted. one. of. those. crayons. WILL END UP MELTED TO YOUR BACKSEAT.

Posted by: kalisah at March 18, 2005 9:37 AM

I can attest that in fact, Texas IS damn hot. Luckily we have nice weather right now and it's only 55.

Crayons are definately a culprit. My nephew left some in my backseat and I could never get all of it off. I still have some blue back there...

Posted by: Kitty at March 18, 2005 9:45 AM

Weebles were great! I don't think they make them anymore. :o(

Posted by: Milly at March 18, 2005 9:51 AM

I never had weeble. In fact, I have no clue what one looks like... maybe I'm too young or something

Posted by: Autumn at March 18, 2005 10:25 AM

I never realized how lucky my Weebles were to live in northern New England.

Posted by: SpaceCase at March 18, 2005 10:42 AM

poor thing... i dont know yet if i'm talking about you or the weebles... but either way, that's sad! did you cry?

Posted by: Dubs at March 18, 2005 10:49 AM

Someone got Lucas the new Weebles for his birthday. They are no longer the perfect egg-shaped beings of yore. They have arms. They're kind of creepy. They're like The Weebles of Doctor Moreau, the hideous result of nefarious attempts at cross-breeding weebles with humans.

Posted by: Jason at March 18, 2005 10:54 AM

I spent years working on heat ageing studies for automotive interiors. They get DAMN hot!

Had no idea about the Weebles though. Yikes!

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at March 18, 2005 11:09 AM

Ha Ha! That is too funny. My weebles melted once in the Arizona summer sun when I left them outside in the tree house I'd built for them in the backyard! I was devistated and horrified. I was 5. I didn't know what had happened to my weebles. I was totally convinced that the "Devil Dogs" had gotten ahold of them and scared them into their warped shapes....
I didn't sleep for a week!

Posted by: Jade at March 18, 2005 11:47 AM

I would sometimes leave my G.I. Joes outside and they would get rained on. Then their joints would get a little rusty and occasionally an arm or a leg would just snap off. Such a horrible fate for Real American Heroes.

Posted by: smartjuice at March 18, 2005 12:18 PM

awww, don't you know that weebles die in hot cars???

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at March 18, 2005 12:18 PM

I did not know that Weebles could melt. I am a better person for knowing. Thanks, Chris!

Posted by: Heather at March 18, 2005 12:36 PM

Wow! I'm on weebles information overload!

Posted by: Gweny at March 18, 2005 12:55 PM

I know I'm so very much "the girl who missed the point," but you had weebles?! Ha!

Posted by: DeAnn at March 18, 2005 2:10 PM

i did not have weebles. i had fisher price people tho. i used to stick them on the ends of pencils and play with them like puppets. i am sure it was not comfortable for them.

Posted by: jodi at March 18, 2005 4:15 PM

One of the only times I've ever gotten tipsy, my friends and I kept repeating "weebles wobble, but they don't fall down," the laughing, as we were walking back to our dorms. We thought it was soooooo clever and funny.

Posted by: Oliquig at March 18, 2005 4:23 PM

Interesting. As I'm from Pennsylvania, I never had a Weeble melt on me. Or in the back of a hot car, rather.

I did have a really cool Jane West doll, though.

Posted by: Alison at March 18, 2005 4:44 PM

LOL I had weebles too. My cat used to love to play with them. He would push them around for hours... I never had a Weeble melt, but I did have one crack... they tend to do that when dropped onto concrete from about 8 feet.

As far as having something melt in my car... my wife left a whole box of Party Lite candles in my back seat when we first started dating. I could never get the wax out, but the car smelled REALLY good for the rest of the time I owned it. LOL

Posted by: Matt at March 18, 2005 4:59 PM

ok, so i thought that weebles were a new toy, because i've only noticed them lately (through the christmas season). i must be too young...

Posted by: tiffanie at March 18, 2005 5:50 PM

Weebles!

When my brother and I were little, we had the Weeble Marina. We LOVED the Weeble Marina.

Turns out my brother saved one of the Weebles and a few years ago, he gave it to my husband (to my husband!)for Christmas (he put it in his stocking) Full of rage and jealousy, I had to do what I used to do all those years ago, I beat my brother up.

Ok, not really.

I'm off to Ebay to look for a Weeble to call my own.

Posted by: jen at March 18, 2005 6:21 PM

My question is: did you guys scare the prom store yet?

Because you just gave me an idea for a post.

Posted by: alektra at March 18, 2005 6:52 PM

Learn something new every day!

Posted by: Tricia at March 18, 2005 10:45 PM

Its the small things in life that make you smile! Ah Weebles! And the song! And the memories! You Rock! *giggle*

Posted by: Gypsy at March 19, 2005 2:09 AM

LOL

Posted by: La Bella at March 19, 2005 10:55 AM

Oh no! The poor Circus freak Weebles!

Posted by: Marie at March 19, 2005 12:10 PM

.... weebles?

Posted by: Sweety at March 20, 2005 2:11 PM

jingle!

Weebles wobble but they dont fall down!

We have a bunch of 'em for my neices and nephews for when they come over. They are oh-so-entertaining. In Buffalo, I doubt that they'll melt. :)

Posted by: Maureen at March 20, 2005 5:20 PM