April 25, 2005

Arias and Strawberry Shortcake (Redux)

The weekend...

Well, lets see where I left off...I told you the part about the Strawberry Shortcake dinner party, right? Sure, I didn't elaborate all that much but I thought the mystery added something. Oh, and before I forget, no, I didn't have my camera with me. I'm not too happy about that but I'll be attempting to bribe my dad for his pics.

The reasons for the Strawberry Shortcake affair weren't initially clear. It started off as a normal dinner party. That was the plan, as far as Beth and I were concerned. Of course, when we arrived, things had radically shifted into bizarre territory. The whole thing ended up being an impromptu baby shower, everyone taking advantage of the fact that so many family members were in town at the same time. There were, as I mentioned, crowns and glasses. I will say this - you haven't lived until you've seen your 90 year old great uncle sporting a pair of Strawberry Shortcake glasses. Its one of the previously undiscovered little pleasures in life. Highly recommended.

As much fun as all that was, the highlight of the evening was one of the many gifts we were given - a small, little-person sized table and chairs. Not any ordinary kid furniture, mind you. No. You see, when I was a kid visiting my grandparents, I used this pint-sized furniture. My cousins used it as well. It was built in the early 1940's by my great grandfather and great uncle. They owned a lumber yard in Ohio and, I guess in their spare time, they built furniture. Not only will the Bean have a cute place to sit, but a little bit of family history as well.

Yesterday, Beth and I met her parents for lunch at our favorite Indian place followed by an afternoon at...the opera! Feel free to back up and read that sentence again. Yes, I said opera. Can you believe I've made it through 32 years of life in this world and never been to the opera? I have to admit - I was pretty comfortable lacking that experience. To my surprise, however, it didn't suck nearly as much as I thought it would. I wouldn't go back tomorrow but it wasn't the Chinese water torture of a performance I expected.

So, that was the weekend...Strawberry Shortcake, parental madness, Faust, deals with the devil, arias and little furniture. What did you do?

Posted by Chris at April 25, 2005 9:31 AM
Comments

I MOVED. Yes....MOVED. From an apartment into a NICE lakefront home from which the boyz can FISH right off our deck.

Too awesome for words. What a GREAT weekend!

Posted by: Julie at April 25, 2005 9:41 AM

I totally want some Strawberry Shortcake glasses...

Posted by: Sabine at April 25, 2005 10:11 AM

i'm afraid that when i finally get to the opera (because it's a given that i'll go one day) it won't be like that scene in pretty woman where the performance is so moving that it doesnt even matter that she doesn't understand a lick of the words. :sigh: you know you're in trouble when you expect your life to resemble Pretty Woman.

very cool about the furniture. i love when things like that are passed on. will your cousins mind, you think, that you got it? or has it been making the rounds?

Posted by: patricia at April 25, 2005 10:13 AM

well, that sounds fun. neat about the furniture too.

Posted by: lizabetty at April 25, 2005 10:14 AM

That's awesome about the furniture!

I relaxed this weekend :)

Posted by: Sweety at April 25, 2005 10:43 AM

i love passed down history! i live for that shite, and hope my son acquires my interest and love of family history and respecting his roots.

is it just me, or does anyone else find Strawberry Shortcake creepy?

what did we do? had an open house, headed north, went to a bachelorette party, slept too little. =)

Posted by: monique at April 25, 2005 10:47 AM

went to Santa Barbara with friends to party it up with a friend who graduated from photography school. then on the way home stopped in a small town called Solvang (yes, from the movie Sidways), a small dutch village, which actually reminded me a whole lot of my days in Bavaria (Germany). then stopped in San Luis Obispo because we'd never been before, and then about 10 hours after we left SB we got home (it usually takes about 6 hours). it was cool though. found out we got the apartment in Bay Ridge, NY... had to go through a lot of un-necessary events to get it (really, how old do you have to be and how much do you have to make in order to get an apartment on your own??? this was a hell-of-a process!!) but we got it and next weekend when i go to visit i can sleep in my own bedroom! hooray! ;) so, eventful my weekend was! ps.. Strawberry Shortcake is cool! ;)

Posted by: Dubs at April 25, 2005 10:48 AM

Oh your little one will LOVE that furniture. My grandmother had a lamp that was a miniture stove. My grandmother didn't like me much (long story) but I loved to visit her so I could play with that it...I wonder what ever happened to it. Funny, I'm 32 and have never been to an opera either...I'm hoping to reach 42 and say the same, lol. Sounds like a great weekend Chris.

Posted by: kimberlee at April 25, 2005 11:13 AM

I slept. The. Entire. Weekend.

It was beautiful!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at April 25, 2005 11:17 AM

What wonderful gifts for you! Little family furniture and Faust!. Truly, Chris, that sounds like a great weekend.

I spent the weekend at Lost Loon Lodge enjoying the Bud and Jan Show- pictures and notes posted.

Posted by: vicki at April 25, 2005 11:19 AM

I think the only thing that can make my life complete now is a picture of a 90 year old great uncle wearing Strawberry Shortcake glasses.

My uncle's mother is 90 years old and I keep wanting her to refuse alcohol by saying "I don't want to get sloppy." See, it's the 'sloppy' part that would be funny.

Or maybe it's just me.

Posted by: Sepra at April 25, 2005 11:19 AM

Sounds interesting... I am a bit of an opera buff. I majored in vocal performance in college. I dont particulary like watching operas, but I liked singing in them.

We helped our friends ( you know them- www.myllissann.com) leave for Korea. It was sad to see them go.

Posted by: alfredsmom at April 25, 2005 11:35 AM

My weekend was spent looking at a million different apartments in San Francisco and finally finding the perfect one. We're putting in our application today...keep your fingers crossed for us!

Posted by: Heather at April 25, 2005 11:46 AM

Let's see. Friday night was spent furiously searching for a pair of pretty shoes to wear to a wedding. Mission Not Accomplished. Rest of Friday night spent talking my sweet, buttercup-of-a-son out of joining the Army. Saturday, 2+ hour drive squished in the back of a Honda Civic driven by Mr. Toad, 4 hour wedding and reception, sunburn, 3 hour drive home. Talk to son more about how I'll be kicking his ass if he joins the Army. Sunday, lunch, homework, take daughter to ER for sprained ankle. Watch as daughter almost does a face plant trying to walk on crutches. Get home at 10:30 and fall into bed an hour later. Monday, exhaustion setting in. Plus I am dog-sitting for my boss this week. Chaos? Welcome to my life!

But your weekend sounds like it was fun!

Posted by: Ms. Q at April 25, 2005 12:04 PM

Attended the last of the Round One of First Birthdays. FOUR first birthdays in the span of two months. (Another "just wait..." for ya, Chris). Moved a bunch of toys/clothes that Lucas has outgrown into temporary lodging in the garage; we now have more room in our little domicile, bittersweet, another indicator that our Former Baby is now officially a Little Boy.

Posted by: Jason at April 25, 2005 12:10 PM

i went to Babies R Us and bought itty bitty blue baby clothes for my cousin's baby shower. and then went to the shower.

Posted by: jodi at April 25, 2005 12:56 PM

I studied. And freaked out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, what opera did you see?

Posted by: alektra at April 25, 2005 12:57 PM

VERY cool about the little furniture. I also happen to have a miniature table and four chairs that my dad and his four sisters had since they were little in that same time frame...dad was the middle kid born in '44. We repainted them and put a plexiglass top to protect the surface, but it's still pretty cool to know my kids' art table is 60 years old.

I can't imagine ever getting rid of it even if it is going to take up a fair amount of space. I hope to give it to one of my kids someday to use for their kids.

Posted by: JP at April 25, 2005 1:04 PM

I throw duct tape parties now so I have no doubt that I'll be throwing Strawberry Shortcake-type parties when I'm older. I'll just try not to surprise anyone with it.

Weekend was good-- bad movie, good concert, lots of homework.

Posted by: bmh at April 25, 2005 1:14 PM

I sure can't top that, but we did get my porch swing up onto the deck. Now I can sit on the deck in my swing and look into everyone's backyard.

Posted by: etherian at April 25, 2005 1:30 PM

Hopefully ya'll got some good loot at the impromptu baby shower!

And yes, I also want to know what opera you went to see - and I was a vocal performance major, yet only managed to attend ONE opera during college.

This weekend I went to a rehearsal dinner and wedding, a staff lunch party, played croquet - you know, the usual.

Posted by: samantha at April 25, 2005 3:51 PM

Aww...I'm totally jealous that you got to go to the opera. I haven't been in a couple of years. Then again, I sat around this weekend and watched movies, so that's good too. After helping a friend move of course, but I don't like to think about that.

Posted by: Kerry at April 25, 2005 4:08 PM

We went to the Michener Museum and saw their Warner Brother's exhibit - and several hours of Bugs Bunny cartoons. A few too many for me, but Don was really enjoying the show.

Posted by: cassie-b at April 25, 2005 4:38 PM

I ate the best pizza ever, went to Happy Hour (at 10pm) and saw some killer folk/blues music (heard, rather), slept in very late, washed my car (inside and out), went to LIVERFEST (I didn't eat ANY liver), watched a stupid movie, took a lovely hike and ate tacos. Crap it's Monday already!!

The furniture & party sound fabulous! Sounds a little like my family!

Posted by: carrster at April 25, 2005 4:47 PM

I went to a party on Saturday afternoon, for a good friend of mine who was turning 25. That will be my fate in not too much longer...crazy. :)

Posted by: Zandria at April 25, 2005 9:39 PM

My weekend must have totally sucked because I don't really even remember much about it. I think I went shopping with the in-laws, but I may have blocked out the whole experience. Typical.

Tiny furniture? Aaaaawww! How cool!

...and dude, don't knock the opera! It's totally amazing! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Did the baby kick when someone belted out a high note?

Posted by: Gweny at April 26, 2005 2:48 AM

Awww, little furniture. I used to have a set like that. Of course, I somehow managed to DESTROY it, so it's not around to pass on. How awesome that the Bean can use the same little table you used.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 26, 2005 8:54 AM

i love the table and chairs stories. I have in my kitchen a very unique stool that belonged to my grandparents. I remember exactly where it used to be in their apartment in brooklyn. my brother and i used to fight over it. ah, the memories.

Posted by: laura at April 27, 2005 1:04 PM