April 24, 2005

Dinner Parties and Strawberry Shortcake

Saturday evening proved odd...and magical...modical? Beth and I were surrounded by four generations of family - my paternal grandmother, her son (my dad), her daughter (my aunt), her granddaughter (my cousin) and her great grandchildren along with my maternal great uncle. And while all that was every bit as heartwarming as it may sound - Hallmark would be proud and Lifetime would want to shoot an original movie - it also highlighed the fact that my mother is, indeed, quite insane.

Don't get me wrong. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm not talking about a dismember kindly old neighbors who stop by for a cup of tea and bury their body parts in the backyard type of insane. She's genuinely well-intentioned but, sheesh, is she out there.

At least we had fun. I mean, how often do you get to go to a Strawberry Shortcake themed dinner party? Where the women are made to wear paper crowns and the men must accessorize with pink Strawberry Shortcake glasses? I'm guessing not often.

Posted by Chris at April 24, 2005 8:47 AM
Comments

Ummm.... I haven't been to one yet, but now I am thinking about hosting one.

Posted by: jen at April 24, 2005 9:33 AM

hhhmmmm.... it sounds interesting.

Posted by: Autumn at April 24, 2005 10:02 AM

See, that needs more explaining. Maybe to those of us who request? ;)

Sounds like it wasn't too bad, which is more than I can say for family get-togethers for me right now. Hope you enjoy a quiet Sunday.

Posted by: alektra at April 24, 2005 10:13 AM

tell me this was strictly a family affair otherwise i'm going to be extremely disappointed. AND to show my extreme disappointed i'll be forced to do something drastic.

uhm. what that something drastic might be i'm not yet sure. it's only 10am for goodness sake. who can think this early? rest assured, dear sir, that when i come up with something it will be most impressive. oh my yes.

Posted by: patricia at April 24, 2005 10:15 AM

What?! No pictures of this soiree?

Posted by: lu at April 24, 2005 10:57 AM

I think it would have been cool to also make everyone wear the character - Strawberry Shortcake's mask. I had the S.Shortcake hook a rug when I was a kid!

Posted by: mrsmogul at April 24, 2005 11:19 AM

are you nuts? my family makes everyone put on groucho glasses and call ourselves the Farkle Family. IN PUBLIC!!

Posted by: jodi at April 24, 2005 11:24 AM

sounds like a woman who is just DYING for her new granddaughter to hurry up and be here, because she can't quash her Strawberry Shortcake party desires any longer!

Posted by: samantha at April 24, 2005 11:26 AM

That is going to be one Kick. Ass. Grandma.

Posted by: Stacy at April 24, 2005 11:37 AM

I'm waiting patiently for the flickr link. I know one's coming. Right?

Posted by: SpaceCase at April 24, 2005 11:55 AM

Well my comment was going to be a request for pics, but I see I have been beaten to the punch. So, I shall just wait ever so patiently like everyone else for you to post them.

Posted by: Lori at April 24, 2005 12:29 PM

A half-a-bubble-off is a good thing to be for us Grandma types. It gives others in our life things to talk about and laugh about. Thanks for the good chuckle. Rock on! skob

Posted by: skob at April 24, 2005 1:04 PM

I think all mom's are insane...oh wait....does that mean I'M insane...and will Beth be insane when she has the lima bean???? lol!

Posted by: Nina at April 24, 2005 2:06 PM

We want pics..we want pics!!!

Posted by: ::c:: at April 24, 2005 3:13 PM

Was this for any particular reason or just because? My in-laws have a ground hogs day party every year complete with ground hogs day songs that they write and perform. yep. I am serious.

Posted by: jessica at April 24, 2005 4:23 PM

More importantly, how was the shortcake?

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at April 24, 2005 6:01 PM

Strawberry Shortcake themed party? What was the main course? And was everything strawberry scented? Because, really, the greatest thing about Strawberry Shortcake is her strawberry scented hair.

Posted by: Nicole at April 24, 2005 8:45 PM

I am rolling! I LOVE your mom! We could be great friends...I am sick that way! I would have worn a Tiara! Yum that silly! And where are the Photos??? Ahem!

Posted by: Gypsy at April 24, 2005 10:13 PM

well- it does sound cheery. Having just spent a rubberband weekend with MY mother at Lost Loon Lodge I would say sit back, relax, enjoy her and just ask yourself how that strawberry theme is going to age? :-)

Posted by: vicki at April 24, 2005 10:39 PM

I remember having a Cabbage Patch birthday party, but that was when I was about 5 or 6. Was this party planned like this? Who picked out Strawberry Shortcake? It doesn't seem like a very adult type of party, I mean unless they were strippers dressed up like Strawberry Shortcake...that might make a little more sense..just a little.

Posted by: Michelle at April 25, 2005 8:25 AM

That is SO excellent. And sounds like something my mother would totally dig. Before we bundled her into the closet and made her change her mind. ;)

Posted by: Iki at April 25, 2005 9:22 AM

are you serious?

Posted by: lizabetty at April 25, 2005 10:12 AM

My mother-in-law throws little "civilized" tea parties. Crazy hats are included. And 3 year-olds are the guests (she's a teacher). Marco even has to wear a frilly hat. I totally have to get a photo of that, but he may kill me for it. If you guys don't hear from me for a while, call the police!

Strawberry Shortcake, huh... Niiiiice! Were the hats and glasses scratch 'n sniff?

Posted by: Gweny at April 26, 2005 2:44 AM