April 7, 2005

Tired...

Yesterday? She was a long one. Long as the Nile but as deep as a glass of tepid water. I'm not sure what that means but how's that for a compound simile first thing in the morning?

I made it into the office yesterday around 6:30, only to leave for DC an hour later. After a conference that lasted until noon, I fought crosstown traffic (on the third stone from the sun until I was stone free of the traffic's purple haze and manic depression...sorry...caught up in Hendrix references), worked at a client site for a few hours followed by two back-to-back meetings. I ended up back at the office, heading for home 12 hours later. And I guess those long days are good occasionally - they force you to appreciate all the puny eight hour ones.

One thing I'd forgotten about is how badly this town is overrun by tourists this time of year. Its all the fault of the Japanese for giving us those cherry trees a while back. People flock in droves (are flocks and droves mutually exclusive?) to see them and, having spied them several times yesterday, the tourists are definitely onto something. It is a gorgeous city this time of year. Sadly, pedestrians have the right of way...so you might as well walk. Driving certainly won't get you anywhere unless you're comfortable plowing through visiting families and groups of high school students. Which I don't recommend. That's a good way to screw up your car and body work is expensive.

There's no random iPod playlist this morning. Why? Because I'm listening to Engineers. Its available via iTunes now and will be released here in June (or so says Amazon). Should you check it out? Absolutely!

Posted by Chris at April 7, 2005 7:41 AM
Comments

Should be Friday, huh?

Posted by: Kris at April 7, 2005 7:59 AM

I am sleepy, as well. And I can't STAND when people just are in the middle of an intersection, or don't know where they're going. Maybe it's the New Yorker in me from my time driving around there...

Posted by: alektra at April 7, 2005 8:18 AM

I think yesterday was a long day for everyone. *sigh* at least it's over.

Posted by: Autumn at April 7, 2005 9:00 AM

I get plowed by cars all the time when I play street hockey in the street, and you are right, we can leave dents! I hope you don't hit people on purpose!

Today seems kinda long, just hope I don't get hit with a car again, unless it's the icecream truck.

Posted by: Rockchild at April 7, 2005 9:07 AM

Love the simile and the Hendrix thing :-)I've been to see the cherry blossoms. Hey deal with the fact that you've got something gorgious that people want to see and suck it up man LOL!!!
People overrun us up here in CT during the fall, leaf peepers. They're all over the place then!!!!

Posted by: Nina at April 7, 2005 9:27 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who always starts singing crosstown traffic when anyone utters the phrase. In fact I'll be singing it for the rest of the week.

Posted by: Katie at April 7, 2005 9:57 AM

ahhh...cherry blossoms...

Posted by: kalisah at April 7, 2005 10:35 AM

Okay, I admit it: I'm going to be one of those 'tourists' this weekend. (Oh, the shame!) In my defense, it is somewhat against my will. The parents are coming into town this weekend for a conference, and it was truly a coincidence that it happened to be the cherry blossom weekend!
Well, as a new resident of this 'delightful' city, I feel the need to take advantage of opportunities as they come my way.

So....I'll be out with my parents, gazing at the trees like a tourist (without the shorts and backpacks) and watching out for oncoming traffic.

Posted by: Raybelle at April 7, 2005 11:12 AM

Tourists would be totally acceptable if they would just stand to the side of the sidewalk when they stop suddenly to gawk. But it seems most of them like to saunter very slowly down the center of the sidewalk, four across, and then STOP! all of a sudden to stare at a bird/a newsstand/a nondescript building. Haaaate.

Welcome to DC! Tourists, please walk/stand to the right. We'll love you forever.

Posted by: Mirella at April 7, 2005 11:55 AM

You live in the D.C. area, don't you? I lived there for almost four years--from early 95 to late 98--and I remember those cherry blossoms well. I almost cried when I realized that moving back to Illinois meant no more cherry blossoms. And don't even get me started about watching 4th of July fireworks at the Mall...

Posted by: Spring at April 7, 2005 12:05 PM

Took a high school trip to DC around this time of year and all the guide could talk about was the cherry blossoms. "Over there is a monument...but here are cherry blossoms." And to high schoolers, cherry blossoms aren't all that spectacular.

Posted by: smartjuice at April 7, 2005 12:11 PM

i wish it were friday... i think i am just going to veg out tonight while watching another Alias DVD & then again tomorrow night... but i don't think i'll have another Alias to watch by then ... doh! Hope today is better then yesterday.

Posted by: angel at April 7, 2005 12:40 PM

Have the blossoms even bloomed yet? My daughter was begging me to bring her to see the blossoms this year, but I just do not feel like fighting tourists. Too many people. But, don't feel bad for her....she has seen them a couple time already.

Posted by: Nicole at April 7, 2005 1:46 PM

you should posta pictcha of the blossoms yo, that way i wouldnt have to go all the way out there to see em.....makes sense right? ;)

Posted by: lizabetty at April 7, 2005 9:29 PM

I really really hope the cherry blossoms do not fall off in tomorrow's (supposed) rainstorm. They have only just come out! We need them a while longer!

Posted by: supine at April 7, 2005 9:52 PM

Ok...with ALL the talk about the beautiful annoying cherry blossoms...WHERE ARE PHOTOS????
Giggle...I thought you would have something cutting edge on this post with the blossoms!

Oh yeah, your tired! me too! I understand!

Posted by: Gypsy at April 8, 2005 12:08 AM