May 9, 2005

Mom's The Word

I was just here (work), right? I mean, there's no way that was a full, forty-eight our weekend, right? It was some kinda bizarre weekend-lite...half the calories...none of the fat. Had to be something like that.

We began the weekend by taking an old friend (well, the friendship itself is old, she's actually rather young) out to dinner on Friday evening. She's a very close friend of Beth's and her husband is a great old (again, time not age) friend of mine. They didn't run into each other (since he's Canadian, eh) until they met at our wedding. The rest? History, as they say. They now have a wonderfully adorable two year old daughter who we got to see and hang out with a bit on Friday evening. There was lots of hiding and seeking. Only there was actually more giggling than hiding. And after all the hiding, seeking and giggling, there was a wonderful meal at our favorite Indian place. Good times.

Saturday was somewhat low-key...or would have been without all the errands and Mother's Day shopping. The Bean's furniture for her new room (the crib for her crib), not due for delivery for another seven weeks, showed up and was assembled (daddy did not have to assemble it which he thought was a big plus). Then it was moved around the room (this time by daddy) in many configurations. We're still not sure how it'll turn out.

Sunday? Mother's Day. In our family, this involves a lot of food. Especially since we had brunch with one half of the family followed by dinner a couple hours later with the other half. I'm still full.

So, how did you all spend Mother's Day?

Posted by Chris at May 9, 2005 8:12 AM
Comments

My most awesome, wonderful, and amazing 9 yr old girl wanted to do all she could for me....which included DUSTING & VACUUMING the LR for me. How sweet is that? You're going to love this parent thing!

Posted by: Junkie at May 9, 2005 8:41 AM

After hot coffee, a wonderful pancake breakfast and receiving one of those foot bath/massagers for the preggo tired achy feet, we continued our assembly of the playscape. Other than fighting off bees and contending with seasonal allergies all around, it was a nice day.

Posted by: A.K. at May 9, 2005 9:33 AM

On a very windy soccer field, but both teams won so everyone was happy with the day! Yay for the crib, I recall putting my first daughters crib together and then worrying for months that it was done right and would hold up. By the time she was old enough to jump around in it the fear had thankfully passed!

Posted by: kimberlee at May 9, 2005 9:49 AM

Well, had I scrolled down a bit to see YOU sitting IN THE CRIB...I would know you tested that fear and all looks well, lol.

Posted by: kimberlee at May 9, 2005 9:50 AM

i tool my mom to lunch with my sister and some other family..it wasn't so bad, i guess...lol!

Posted by: lizabetty at May 9, 2005 9:52 AM

Hey, I had Indian food on Friday too!!! Yum,mm, Maharaja Palace is the bomb(for me, if you are in AZ)!!!

Posted by: ::c:: at May 9, 2005 10:11 AM

With my honey's help, Muchkin pulled it off with great success! I got the earrings I've been wanting for MONTHS, and some "me time" to boot! Was LOVELY!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at May 9, 2005 10:11 AM

Let MyBeth sleep in while I cleaned up after Hurricane Lucas and cooked a PHAT BADASS breakfast for her (ladies - direct your husbands/significant others to my blog for details). Then up to Newport Beach for a late lunch with the in-laws, where I was reminded of the age-old adage regarding gift-giving: getting your wife something that YOU want for Mother's Day (i.e., my father-in-law buying my mother-in-law a new digital camera that he'd been eyeing, then proceeding to not let her use, touch, or even look at it) is dangerous business.

Posted by: Jason at May 9, 2005 11:08 AM

i got woken up by the smell of fresh brewed coffee and a toasty onion bagel. then i played Thomas the Tank Engine games with Cam. then i went to Walmart for painting supplies. the night ended with a yummy steak dinner and cuddles from my boys.

sometimes it's good to be the mom.

Posted by: monique at May 9, 2005 11:16 AM

first of all, i'm with you on the 48 hour thing... it wasn't until last night around 8pm that I relaized it was Sunday. And, well, needless to say, I dont want to be at work right now... looking forward to the weekend already!

for mothers day I slept in, went to mass, went and bought my mom her gift from Broders, headed to their house, went shopping with my mom, had dinner as a family, and then i stayed to watch a few shows afterwards as well as fiddle around with her computer (the one we bought her because she couldn't work the old broken one... and the one that she still really can't understand how to use). then i drove home and crashed (by that time it was 11pm).

Posted by: Dubs at May 9, 2005 11:17 AM

We had Mother's Day with my family on Saturday - home cooked fried catfish and hushpuppies - and spent the afternoon recording my grandparents' stories. We learned some interesting things!

Posted by: samantha at May 9, 2005 11:36 AM

I spent Mother's Day signing the lease to my new apartment in SF and then celebrating with...you guessed it....Indian food! There was also a call to my mom in there somewhere.

Posted by: Heather at May 9, 2005 11:52 AM

Finishing up the swing set and putting together a pool table!

Posted by: Snidget at May 9, 2005 12:00 PM

Finishing up the swing set and putting together a pool table!

Posted by: Snidget at May 9, 2005 12:00 PM

And I double posted. GRRRR!!!

Posted by: Snidget at May 9, 2005 12:01 PM

I think I deserve Mom of the Year award. I "gave" up my relaxing day to buy my daughter her first car. Mother's Day spent with a used care salesman. How lovely.

Finally we went to see "A Lot Like Love" and I cried at the sentimentally of it. There is just a lot on my mind and so much I am missing in my relationship(s). Fairly slow but sweet, deliberate movie.

Posted by: beautiful face at May 9, 2005 12:13 PM

In the garden, right where I wanted to be. With the cats, the ducks and some new plants. FG went to the driving range and then we grilled out. Great day! Except for finishing up my Blogging for Books entry- ack! I believe I already said what a cool crib that is- and the rocking chair a must.

Posted by: vicki at May 9, 2005 12:40 PM

I love my kids! Having them is the smartest thing I have ever done.

They "made" me breakfast in bed (okay, it was donuts, but that was what I wanted; previous Mother's Days have proved that I won't get to eat my bacon because it gets poached). I got handmade cards from my eight-year-old twins and they gave me two tulips they had picked in the yard (I made sure they were from our yard). My daughter's card said I was awesome; my son's said I was smart because I knew the answer to 17x3 (I'm not sure why he chose that particular problem, but I figured out the answer quickly in case I was quizzed).

My thirteen year old is past the days of making me something at school (which is a little sad), but made my weekend by playing her heart out at a volleyball tournament on Saturday.

A good weekend (although I agree it seemed a little short).

Posted by: Carolyn at May 9, 2005 1:46 PM

I did the mom thing two days early and delivered a gift in person so I spent mother's day weekend visiting the site of the bloghome and making small scale purchases. I capped it all off by making lasagne for Cheeky and I and then trying to figure out where in hell I was going to fit the leftovers. I have to start making small versions of all the things I know how to make. Great new pictures. You're missing your bonnet.

Posted by: j.tonic at May 9, 2005 1:46 PM

I broke bedrest and we went to lunch with my parents. My husband made me a cake and then I spent the rest of the night watching TV and coloring....It's good for your soul.

Posted by: annie at May 9, 2005 2:19 PM

Pizza and cheesecake baby!

Posted by: Ginny at May 9, 2005 2:42 PM

Mother's Day Champagne Brunch with Grandma and my two sons. Then LOTS of fishing off our deck. Caught a nice trout. Threw it back, tho. We catch and release. I had THE BEST Mother's Day of my life yesterday.

Posted by: Julie at May 9, 2005 4:43 PM

On Saturday night had supper with Mom and one of my sisters, then the two of them proceeded to work a night shift and sleep all day Sunday. So had I called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day, she may have murdered me. I'd already given her the presents the night before anyhow :)

Posted by: Heather at May 9, 2005 4:54 PM

did brunch with the fam in lieu of our usual sunday family dinner, watched meet the fockers [hilarious], then did laundry at the momper-ella-brella's after her hubby left for CA for yet another week away for work... it wasn't half bad. ;)

Posted by: angel at May 9, 2005 5:40 PM

What was supposed to be dinner at my parents house turned out to be dinner at home since my mother and I both were not feeling that good.

Though I cooked and cleaned up the dishes it was still nice just being me and the kids. They're all that matter on moms day anyway. :)

Posted by: Ro at May 9, 2005 6:53 PM

Since in the UK, its not mother's day I stayed in because of my twisted neck! I did already speak to my mommy on the phone! I miss her!!

PS. The new picture makes you look like you've been beamed in by Star Trek!

Posted by: mrsmogul at May 9, 2005 6:54 PM